ADHD drug linked to suicide attempts: Health Canada

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

I thought this article might be of interest to anyone with ADHD or any parents with children who suffer from the same.

Last Updated: Thursday, July 3, 2008 | 4:52 PM ET

A drug commonly used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity (ADHD) disorder in children, teens and adults has been linked to numerous adverse reactions, including suicide attempts, Health Canada has warned.

In its adverse reactions newsletter from July 2008, the health agency warns that Atomoxetine (Strattera), a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, had been linked to 189 reported adverse reactions as of Dec. 31, 2007.

Fifty-five of those included suicide attempts, a designation that encompasses non-accidental overdoses, showing suicidal tendencies and experiencing thoughts of self-harm. Twenty-nine of the patients recovered, three had not by Dec. 31, 2007, and one patient died. Data was not available for the remaining 22 patients.

Among the 55 suicide attempts reported in connection with the drug, 43 were among children between the ages of 6 and 17. Twelve were among adults ranging in age from 18 to 45.

Links between the drug and suicidal behaviour were first reported in September 2005, and the warnings and precautions section of the drug's monograph was changed to reflect those concerns.

Health Canada advises health-care professionals to warn patients who are on ADHD medications, as well as their families and other caregivers, to be on the lookout for changes in mood, behaviour and feelings.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
eMeM
Übergod

Re: ADHD drug linked to suicide attempts: Health Canada

Post by eMeM »

This is so wrong on so many levels, I"m not even sure where to start. Sure, there are some kids that do have a legitimate disorder that should be medicated, but I believe many more kids are being given said meds for the wrong reasons.
Yesterday I had six little boys at my house for a b-day party. I watched these kids go from having fun and getting along just fine to sreaming bloody murder, fighting, ranting, threatening, etc. What changed? Well, they were well fed on sugary pop, processed hot dogs, white bread and ice cream cake. Can you say system overload? I don't make a habit of feeding my kid a bunch of crap and let me tell you, when he does get it he turns into a monster. So I have to wonder, how many of these ADHD kids being fed a steady diet full of processed foods, high sugar content, artificial colour, preservatives, etc, etc, then fed a pill because they're out of control?
How many of these kids are just a bit hyper and their teachers don't want to deal with them? It's easy to tell the parents "I have (insert number here) years experience and little Johnny is out of control, he needs drugs for ADHD...."
That's just a couple of scenarios, I'm sure there are plenty of others.
I suppose what I'm trying to get at is that people have been sold on the "quick fix". From the plasma TV that will make your life better to using credit instead of saving for what you want, now it's being peddled to our kids. Little Johnny's acting up? Well, it's too much trouble to try and find out WHY he's doing it, here just take a pill - that'll fix him up. Oh yeah, but there are side effects. The fun-loving little boy you know, well kiss him goodbye, he'll be in a semi-catatonic state for the duration, and well you better take away all the sharp objects and long stretches of rope because he might just try and kill himself too. But don't worry, it's a RARE side effect. (read, it only happens to other people's kids)
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
/end rant
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

I agree with everything you said mm34. My little brother is "hyperactive" and it's been suggested numerous times to my mom that she medicate him. Only once she found him an outlet for his pent up energy did he finally calm down enough for people to realize that it was ADHD. She also changed his diet to include more natural and organic foods and less processed and artificial foods. I'm 25 and even I notice a difference in myself if my diet is off. I got help from a friend and once I changed my diet, my focus was a million times better.

Like you said, everything is a "quick fix". Instead of getting to the root of a problem, doctors push drugs on you. Watch commercials carefully for a day, how many are for drugs? What's scary is the side effects of all of them. 9/10, the side effects are much, much worse than the cure. Most of the medications sold nowadays require strict follow up and even blood tests to make sure it's not screwing up your system. Scary, isn't it?

I'm not surprised, sad to say, that suicide is a side effect on a mind altering medication. ANY drug you take that alters your mental state so much is bound to have some serious side effects.
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

I have a boy on strattera this very minute. He is happy,becoming well adjusted,does magnificent in school. DFoes he have his days? Hell yes,like any other kid. The difference? Low sugar and fat intake. Fruits vegis and very little pop,cookies and crap. There has never been a problem with his meds. The only time I ever see a change is when he has been fed something that reacts baddly with the straterra or if is in the processed,sticky crap we pass for food these days.
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

Some kids should be on cholesterol drugs: study
Updated Mon. Jul. 7 2008 10:14 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Children eight years of age or older should be treated with cholesterol medication if they are found to have high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or so-called bad cholesterol, a new report says.

The new recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics is a drastic step toward preventing cardiovascular disease among at-risk children, including those with high cholesterol.

CTV medical consultant Dr. Marla Shapiro said the recommendation to medicate kids with cholesterol drugs should not come as a surprise, given the dramatic rise in obesity among children.

"We're at the point where a large, respected pediatric society, which happens to be the American Pediatric Society, is taking a stand and really saying that with the rising epidemic of obesity, we know that in youth and young children this will translate into premature heart disease and stroke in the years to come," Shapiro told CTV Newsnet.

The report recommends cholesterol-lowering drugs for:

Children with LDL levels of 190 mg per decilitre or higher.
Children with an LDL reading of 160 mg per decilitre or higher, along with two heart disease risk factors in addition to a family history of early heart disease.
Children with a reading of 130 mg per decilitre of LDL in addition to having diabetes.
The report says that cholesterol screening should be done after the age of two, but before the age of 10.

The recommendations are found in a report by the AAP, entitled Lipid Screening and Cardiovascular Health in Childhood. It is published in the July issue of Pediatrics.

While the report has been issued by American doctors, physicians in Canada say the results apply to all children.

"There have been a number of studies that have shown if you treat a child with high cholesterol levels that you can reverse the build up in their arteries even at a very young age," Dr. Brian McCrindle of Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children told CTV News.

However, Dr. Richard Tytus, a family physician in Hamilton, Ont., says that while cholesterol drugs are generally safe for children, the long-term effects of them are not yet known. As well, children will learn the lesson that a pill can be a quick fix for any problem.

"My point is let's not treat the symptoms, let's treat the cause," Tytus told CTV News.

The report's recommendations also include:

Cholesterol screening for children who have a family history of heart disease risk factors such as obesity, high blood pressure or diabetes.
Cholesterol screening for children with unknown family medical history.
Lifestyle changes, such as an improved diet and an increase in physical activity, for reducing high cholesterol in children younger than eight.
Another test, within three to five years, if a child's LDL levels are within a normal range.
Shapiro said that in Canada, doctors are already screening children for high cholesterol, particularly if they have a family history of the condition.

"But now we're saying that we should emphasize looking at children as individuals regardless of family history," Shapiro said. "If they themselves carry an individual risk, that's something that we should be looking at."

So, just what the hell are we doing to kids that they need cholesteral medication???? Pharmaceuticals getting rich off our kids? What What???! How much more is North American society going to led down the bloody garden path??? Shouldn't we ought to make a stand sometime before our kids are all suicidal,or fat cholesteral ridden walking heart attacks? Why is it like this??? CAUSE MOMMY AND DADDY ARE TO DAMN BUSY WORKING THIER *bleep* OFF TO PAY FOR ALL THE SH*T SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS THAT WE DON'T NEED INCLUDING TAXES!!!!!! tO BUSY TO MAKE JUNIOR A DECENT HOME-COOKED MEAL SO JUNIOR NUKES A COUPLE OF FROZEN PIZZA POPS CRACKS A COKE AND SITS OMN THE COUCH TO WATCH TV OR PLAY WITH COMPUTER GAMES TILL MONM AND DAD GET HOME JUST IN TIME FOR HIM TO GO TO BED. ARRRRRRRGH.
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!

Return to “Health”