LPN's

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Phoenix Within
Guru

LPN's

Post by Phoenix Within »

I'd like to hear from some people who are in this field, especially holistic/alternative medicine.

For those of you in the field, how do you like it? Anything about it you can't stand? Did you take the course locally, and if so, from where? Any place for schooling you'd recommend to avoid?

thanks
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: LPN's

Post by Phoenix Within »

No one?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Sorry, can't help. I do know of someone who did the course with Sprott Shaw sometime in the last couple of years.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

I've heard of the Sprott Shaw one, but I'm curious to now how it compares to the one at Okanagan College, and which is more recognised.

I had a friend back in Edmonton that took an Office Admin course through one of the smaller schools because it ws shorter and a little cheaper than the other bigger schools. Now, she can't get a job with it because noone recognised it. Tough lesson to learn.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

The gal I know is working. I think that LPN means something. I would make sure that whatever shool you choose is nationally accredited by the regulatory body of the profession. That way, you can be sure that you will be licenced to work in every Province.
champagne dream

Post by champagne dream »

I would avoid private colleges and universities. The tuition is (even more) astronomical (than at public schools), and even though they sometimes guarantee employment opportunities for graduates of a certain caliber, they usually make it next to impossible to achieve those standards. Also, some have up and closed their doors without any notice to their students who were then SOL.

I don't know any details about the program at OC, but I do know that my cousin completed it about a year ago and had a job lined up before she was done.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Thanks. I got an appointment set up with an OC councellor on tuesday. I've had warnings about the private schools so i was planning on avoiding them. I can't see how they can guarentee jobs? I had someone comment to me before on how IHA wouldn't even consider students of private schools, now they are considering them but strictly because of the demand.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I do not understand that. The L stands for Licenced. That means that you would have to have taken some sort of examination. If someone passes the licencing, I do not really see what difference it makes where they went to school. Book learning is a very small part of the job. The real education comes from hands-on experience.
uwho
Fledgling

Post by uwho »

I am not LPN, I am a care aide, (for 18 years now) and I work with LPN's...

we all work together as a team.

However, I know that some of their duties include, admin medications, blood pressure, wound care, conflict resolving, charting, observe and report, work with the RN in fire safety, consult with RN, consultwor with care aide,stroke care, ageing related diseases ,,,,etc..

be a team player!

Its a tough job I see for the LPN <but what job isn't? when it comes to health care) there is some prettyhorrific things that we all have to see and remain in control about, so one thing I reccommend, is having a strong stomach....

As for schooling, well, I have worked/trained with several different types of groups of students over the years...I believe <from what the students tell me) is that OC has a long wait list and they are "particular" as to whom gets in the course, (70%) or higher to enter into the LPN course. wereas private schools have less % . Like someone else mentioned, the rates are higher in private...and its the same course....so go figure!

Good luck with your search for a career! :runforlife:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'd heard that the private schools may have less percentage to get in, but demand high performance and good grades at the end of the training. Wonder if anyone out there could confirm that for the sake of the OP?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

My wife went through OUC for her LPN course, it is an exceptional course, and the employment rates after completion are excellent, so I'm told. Her entire class was all working well before they were completed. The qualification was pretty high when she went through it, she had 87% so it was not an issue. I was always amazed at the amount of learning they need to cram into them in the period they do, I don't think I could do all of that learning, but somehow, with two kids, she did it. I can't offer an opinion on other schools.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I don't understand the talk about percentages here. While most courses have a pass/fail mark, there is a Provincial exam involved. Regardless of your marks in class, you are still required to pass the Provincial Exam to get your licence.

Now if they are saying that of the entire class, 85% were able to pass the Provincial Exam, that would mean something. Is that what people are talking about?

I would be interested to hear about class sizes & opportunties for practicums when discussing the pros and cons of different schools. I would also like to know about loan programs, accreditation and the length of time an institution has been offering a program.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I took it to mean that final results were to be higher than the minimal pass grade and each student expected to pass - certain private institutions expecting more students to enroll in their programs if they can produce better students on average.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

A family member just graduated Sprott Shaws L.P.N. coarse last month.

Sprott Shaw crams their coarse into 12 months or so. If I'm not mistaken O.U.Cs coarse is 2 years.

She's already working in the field, but still has to write an exam in January.

I think it was more expensive than O.U.C., but when you consider she was able to get into the high paying work force a year earlier it may have been worth it monitarily.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

OC's course is 12 months. I've heard talk of them trying to get it changed to 18 months, as it is in other parts of the country.

I got an appointment to go and talk to a councellor at OC on Tuesday. I got a feeling some of my past grades are going to come back to haunt me on this one. Since I've been out of school for a few years, we'll see what i may need to upgrade.

Return to “Health”