LPN's

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: LPN's

Post by Phoenix Within »

champagne dream wrote:Also, some have up and closed their doors without any notice to their students who were then SOL.

My wife learned about this the hard way when she went in to upgrade her ECE. Fortunately, she was able to get her money back, but made her leary of private schools (and understandibly so!).

gardengirl wrote:I do not really see what difference it makes where they went to school.

The private school my wife went to, their requirement for a teacher was two years experience in the field they were teaching. At the time, she had more experience than the teacher!

uwho wrote:Its a tough job I see for the LPN <but what job isn't? when it comes to health care) there is some pretty horrific things that we all have to see and remain in control about, so one thing I recommend, is having a strong stomach....

This was one of my concerns. however talking to some of the people at the career fair, they had said that there is a large area of nursing to get into, so if there's one part yo don't like, you may be able to transfer into another area. Being male too, I understand I'm in pretty high demand, which may ease in any problems in transferring to another area.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
uwho
Fledgling

Post by uwho »

http://www.okanagan.bc.ca/departments/h ... rsing.html

this will answere a lot of your questions.

I also ment in regards to 70% was the entrance exam called the LPI (language Proficiency INdex)
and that is just to apply into the LPN course. (It beats all that upgrading and it takes forever)

Good luck !
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

gardengirl wrote:I don't understand the talk about percentages here. While most courses have a pass/fail mark, there is a Provincial exam involved. Regardless of your marks in class, you are still required to pass the Provincial Exam to get your licence.

Now if they are saying that of the entire class, 85% were able to pass the Provincial Exam, that would mean something. Is that what people are talking about?

I would be interested to hear about class sizes & opportunties for practicums when discussing the pros and cons of different schools. I would also like to know about loan programs, accreditation and the length of time an institution has been offering a program.

Percentage of grades for entrance. Someone with 60% (Or a C average) Would not qualify before someone with an 85% grade point average. They take the students with better grades 1st. This is how they determine who will be qualifying to enter the program. Hope I explained that in a way that makes sense, if not I'll try to make more sense next try.
caffeine
Übergod

Post by caffeine »

An LPN is an LPN regardless of which school you went to. Every LPN has to write the same exam to get their lisense. LPN's from both traditional colleges and privates colleges are working for the health region etc.

The main difference in the schools is the cost, and the time it takes to get in. Sprott shaw, you will probably get in faster, but it will cost a lot more. OC - you might have to wait but tuition is reasonable. If you make it through, and pass the exam, you are an LPN either way.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Thank-you. That's pretty much what I was saying. Regardless of the school you attend, everyone writes the same exam to get a licence.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

I talked to a friend a friend at the hospital, and she said that there's only been one school they've had problems with due to inadaquate training of their students, otherwise she did recommend Sprott-Shaw and of course OC for schooling.

I'm currently working on jumping through the hoops and trying to get funding for retraining.

Fancy wrote:I'd heard that the private schools may have less percentage to get in, but demand high performance and good grades at the end of the training. Wonder if anyone out there could confirm that for the sake of the OP?

In talking to the private schools and the College, both require a certain academic level to get in, so either way I'm looking at having to upgrade a few courses (Grade 12 comes back to haunt me!).
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
tacosalad

Post by tacosalad »

Okanagan's LPN course prepares you more overall. You can tell which students are from sprott shaw and which ones are from Okanagan college. Yes the hospital will hire sprott shaw students and yes everyone takes the same exam at the end. Okanagan college has more hands on practice, which to me is more important than being book smart. I am not saying do not go to sprott shaw I am just stating what I have noticed. I do understand the waiting list is pretty long at OUC and it does go by marks. I do hear that sprott shaw has smaller class sizes, but the tuition is alot more. pros and cons on both. just my two cents.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

What evidence do you have that OC has more hand's on experience? My undersanding is that both cirriculums are similar.
mammamoon
Fledgling

Post by mammamoon »

I am also thinking about going into this program! I think it would be an exciting and challenging career in healthcare, one in which has always piqued my interest and appeals to my caring/nurturing nature. If anyone has had any recent experience with this program, I would love to hear about it. I am planning on going into the OC program in the Fall of 2012. In the mean time I am going to upgrade my math, grade 11 and 12.....I have always dreaded the day that I would have to upgrade my math, but oh well. I wouldn't want an LPN without math 12 either!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What kind of money LPN's make?

What's the career path for them? Can they upgrade to RN at some point?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Captain Awesome wrote:What kind of money LPN's make?
http://www.registered-nurse-canada.com/ ... alary.html

In BC, there is a bridging program for LPN's who want to take their RN. I believe it roughly knocks a year off.

Over the years, and specifically the last 6 years, the LPN scope of practice has greatly increased. I believe (but not positive) that BC is now the only Province where the LPN course is still only one year. Other Provinces have extended the course length from 18-24 months to handle the extra curriculum. It's crazy that BC still has not extended the course length. It's majorly intense and when I was working there, I saw many ill prepared LPN students. It was one of the main factors why I did not pursue upgrading.
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

Captain Awesome wrote:What kind of money LPN's make?

I heard recently that an LPN working for IHA makes $26 per hour with good benefits. It might vary if a nurse is working at a private facility.

There was a bridge program for LPN's to advance to RN but I don't know if it still exists.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

The hourly wage rate for LPN's working for Interior Health Authority is $24.01 - $26.52.

~D
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:The hourly wage rate for LPN's working for Interior Health Authority is $24.01 - $26.52.

~D

Thanks CC!
It's hard work,but the LPN's I know really enjoy it. It seems they do the work of RN's now and care aids do the work of LPN's. Are RN's mostly administrative now?
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

shoo wrote:Thanks CC!
It's hard work,but the LPN's I know really enjoy it. It seems they do the work of RN's now and care aids do the work of LPN's. Are RN's mostly administrative now?

Scope of practice is ever changing. In LTC, RN's are now heavily into the administrative end of things. LPN's do most of the nursing, ie assessments and meds, and care-aides (who are the real front line workers in a nursing home setting) do the direct care of the residents and all that entails. LPN's working today are now roughly the same as the old Diploma RN. Of course, most RN's hotly deny that one. :lol: There is still a lot of resentment from many RN's towards LPN's. When I first started back in 97, it was more of a team effort with RN's, LPN'S and Aides all working together to meet the needs of the residents. Now, not so much. My manager would often encourage me to upgrade to my RN and I simply was not interested because of how the RN duties was rapidly changing. I've been hearing bits here and there that care-aides will be increasing their responsibilities to include dispensing simple meds. Not sure how that is going to work, with everything they have to do now.

~D

Return to “Health”