Asthma help for child: Moving to Okanagan?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
dkm3

Asthma help for child: Moving to Okanagan?

Post by dkm3 »

Hi, I am looking for any information or stories about people that have relocated because their child has asthma and what that move has done for their childs health and quality of life. I am interested in moving from the lower mainland to the okanagan because my son feels much better when we are there, he suffers from asthma and allergies. I have been put in a situation though where the courts want me to somehow prove my son's life would be better. My son has told a judge this in person, but they somehow want proof. The only proof I can think of would be case studies, so if you have any information or a story you would like to share about the difference it has made in your life or someone you know, I would truly appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.
From a mother struggling to help her child.
Triple 6

Re: Asthma help for child: Moving to Okanagan?

Post by Triple 6 »

Asthma can be looked after with inhalers and meds. Moving here isin't going to make it all better or go away.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

No, it isn't going to make it all better or go away .... but I do know from personal experience that the dryer air means I don't have to use my inhalers as much - and that's a good thing. Solbutamol is really hard on the heart and too much is bad, but it is my rescue one when I get in trouble. Humidity is really hard on me and makes me feel like a fish out of water.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

You could contact these people to see if they can help you out. http://www.kelownaallergy.com/index.html

I suffer from asthma and I was on two inhalers when I lived in Kelowna. I could not get through a day without them. I relocated to a much wetter climate complete with a paper mill 20 min. away. One would think my asthma would be in overdrive here, and it's the opposite for some reason. Though I still need my inhalers now and again, it's not a daily thing.

Stress is a huge asthma trigger. I say this because you mention the court system, so I wonder how much stress your son is under there, and when you leave to visit Kelowna, it's much better.

~D
jm32

Post by jm32 »

@dkm3: Does your child drink alot of milk? I have heard if you substitute Rice Milk for ordinary milk, it can help improve asthma.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Considering the amount of dust that's in the air due to the dryness, and how smoke from forest fires throughout the province (on an average year) tends to settle in the valley in the summer, I think this area would be lethal to people with asthma.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:I suffer from asthma and I was on two inhalers when I lived in Kelowna. I could not get through a day without them. I relocated to a much wetter climate complete with a paper mill 20 min. away. One would think my asthma would be in overdrive here, and it's the opposite for some reason. Though I still need my inhalers now and again, it's not a daily thing.

I met someone with a similar story. They had moved here from the coast for asthma, and found they were sick more often living here than the coast. They moved back in the end.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I've heard that here makes symptoms worse.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

I lived in Kelowna for 30 years and suffered from severe asthma as a kid improving to mild as an adult. In my experience the Okanagan valley is just that, a valley. Smoke/pollution settle in the valley and it rarely completely clears leading to troubles breathing, especially in the summer (forest fires are not your friend). I rarely could go without my inhalers for any length of time.

In contrast once I moved to Calgary I found my breathing almost instantly improved, I rarely have symptoms now and almost never use my inhalers. Dry air and open spaces that clear quickly with a decent wind are what I credit to my health increase. Best of luck to your little guy asthma is not a fun affliction.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Not asthma (or a child) but my grandmother had bad respiratory problems. Her and my grandfather looked into moving to the Okanagan, but wouldn't even consider Kelowna itself. They were looking at areas like Armstrong, Osoyoos, Summerland. When she came to Kelowna, she noticed a distinct deterioration in air quality when coming into the central okanagan from the tiny little town of Grand Forks. She also said she noticed the air got better again the farther you got from Kelowna.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Mr. Personality wrote:She also said she noticed the air got better again the farther you got from Kelowna.

There's a lot of things that improve, the further you get from Kelowna. :D
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Phoenix Within wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:She also said she noticed the air got better again the farther you got from Kelowna.

There's a lot of things that improve, the further you get from Kelowna. :D

Mostly the overall attitude of the general populace.

Return to “Health”