Ginko Biloba

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Ginko Biloba

Post by mee-mo87 »

Anyone try this? Recommend it? Warnings?

Is there a brand/company that provides a higher quality product than others? Is there one you recommend?
Last edited by mee-mo87 on Jun 29th, 2011, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Ginko Bilboa

Post by Bsuds »

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvi ... Ginkgo.htm

I took some for memory loss but don't remember if it worked! :127:
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Re: Ginko Biloba

Post by mee-mo87 »

Was it prescribed to you or something of your own choosing?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Isnt there 2 or 3 ginko trees in Kerry park?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive idiots excessively.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

If you can find any of Richard Walker's Dragon's Eye Nursery Ginko Biloba, it will be some of the finest you'll find. He's moved his business from Grand Forks to the south Okanagan ... Oliver, I think.

http://www.permaculturebc.com/Food-Fore ... -BC-Design

http://www.permaculturebc.com/An%20Even ... 011%20Blog

Check the natural food stores. If they don't have it, maybe ask where you might be able to find it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba

Side effects

Ginkgo may have undesirable effects, especially for individuals with blood circulation disorders and those taking anticoagulants such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or warfarin, although recent studies have found that ginkgo has little or no effect on the anticoagulant properties or pharmacodynamics of warfarin in healthy subjects. Ginkgo should also not be used by people who are taking certain types of antidepressants (monoamine oxidase inhibitors and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) or by pregnant women, without first consulting a doctor.

Ginkgo side effects and cautions include: possible increased risk of bleeding, gastrointestinal discomfort, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, dizziness, heart palpitations, and restlessness. If any side effects are experienced, consumption should be stopped immediately.

Allergic precautions and contraindications to use

People taking pharmaceutical blood thinners such as warfarin or coumadin should consult with their doctor before taking Gingko biloba extracts, as it acts as an anti-coagulant.

The presence of amentoflavone in Gingko biloba leaves would indicate a potential for interactions with many medications through the strong inhibition of CYP3A4 and CYP2C9; however, there is a lack of any empirical evidence supporting this. It is possible that the concentration of amentoflavone found even in commercial Gingko biloba extracts is too low to be pharmacologically active.

Ginkgo biloba leaves also contain long-chain alkylphenols together with the extremely potent allergens, the urushiols (similar to poison ivy). Individuals with a history of strong allergic reactions to poison ivy, mangoes, and other urushiol-producing plants are more likely to experience an adverse reaction when consuming Ginkgo-containing pills, combinations, or extracts.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
agnes60

Post by agnes60 »

I tried Ginko Biloba a few years back and had rapid heart beat and huge anxiety. I found out later that that was one of many side effects. Not saying everyone is going to experience this, but this is what my experience was.

Return to “Health”