Help A Salt Addict

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
ilivehere

Help A Salt Addict

Post by ilivehere »

My mother has had 2 heart attacks,
Then, congestive heart failure.... blood pressure reached 260 / 140 .... (believe it or not)
She didn't even have a stroke :ohmygod:
Then, she had another heart attack.
She also has emphysema.
She is having lots of testing done now, is on medication and has a family who
loves her and wants her around for many years to come.
The issue is that she loves salt. :200:
She adds salt to pretty much everything .... salting before even tasting to
see if it is bland food....
The funny thing is that she is a very intelligent woman, who has educated herself about
foods, organic produce use, chemicals, etc....and yet, she is still addicted to it. :nutzoid:
Now, we're not talking about a quick sprinkle here.. we are talking about heavy salting.
We introduced her to the "No Salt" products, etc, hoping that she would use a healthy
alternative to salt, which, of course, raises blood pressure...to no avail.
I welcome all constructive comments for her...including cooking tips without salt.
PS...she doesn't eat dairy.
Thank you all so much for your time :sunshine:
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Help A Salt Addict

Post by UnknownResident »

First of all salt, I mean natural salt, does not raise blood pressure. The problem is the same as almost every major diet related issue we have. Regular salt was not good enough for us, so we decided to refine it. So we now consume table salt. Table salt is 99.9% sodium chloride. During the refining process we take out all of the minerals that are found in natural salt. Natural sea salt is 95% sodium chloride, 4% potassium chloride and 1% minerals and trace elements. That 5% that is not sodium chloride is very important.

I would do some research on your own about it, but it's a good place to start for you. Remember, if we've made up a food, or changed an existing food molecularly chances are it's not so good for you. Good luck.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

I am curious about something....and please....I don't want this to turn into a subject about smoking.....but...is she a smoker?I am a smoker and I know that it does play havoc with your taste buds...maybe that is why she wants the salt...I bought a bottle of no salt added garlic and herb spice from the dollar store and let me tell you, it is so good that it makes me forget about having salt and I am a salt a holic!!! I also rather enjoy Mrs Dash but I find that I prefer the stronger flavours
ilivehere

Post by ilivehere »

Thanks for your replies...no, she hasn't smoked since her CHF over 8 years ago.
Very happy about that.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

UnknownResident wrote:First of all salt, I mean natural salt, does not raise blood pressure. The problem is the same as almost every major diet related issue we have. Regular salt was not good enough for us, so we decided to refine it. So we now consume table salt. Table salt is 99.9% sodium chloride. During the refining process we take out all of the minerals that are found in natural salt. Natural sea salt is 95% sodium chloride, 4% potassium chloride and 1% minerals and trace elements. That 5% that is not sodium chloride is very important.

I would do some research on your own about it, but it's a good place to start for you. Remember, if we've made up a food, or changed an existing food molecularly chances are it's not so good for you. Good luck.

BUNK! Salt is salt is salt. SODIUM
. The op is talking about someone with severe health conditions.
The sodium will cause fluid retention which will raise blood pressure and put undue stress on the heart. If the heart is not pumping efficiently, fluid will build up in the extremities and the lungs that is what congestive heart failure is all about.

You can "wean" yourself off salt. At first things will taste bland, but eventually you realize that you can actually taste your food.
Substitute the salt used to add flavour with herbs and spices. There are lots of things you can do. She is probably going to be placed on fluid restriction as well, perhaps only 6-8 cups a day. The sodium restriction is most likely to maximum 2000 mg a day. That is only one teaspoon. If you start reading labels, you will find that sodium is everywhere, milk, pop, all sorts of places you would not expect.

If she is really having trouble with it, she should be weighing herself every day. A digital scale is excellent. Write the weight every day on the calendar. If here weight fluctuates more that 3-4 lbs in a day, it is probably water weight. She has probably been given a diuretic to help with this. The problem is that constant use of diuretics puts extra stress on the kidneys. It is best to cut back on the sodium and fluid intake.

If you are looking for salt substitutes, make sure you don't get No Salt. It is very high in potassium and can be dangerous for someone like her. Spice blends are much better. Of course there is pepper as well. Fresh ground pepper adds a lot of flavour and can certainly be used in place of salt for many foods.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

gardengirl wrote:BUNK! Salt is salt is salt. SODIUM[/b]. The op is talking about someone with severe health conditions.
The sodium will cause fluid retention which will raise blood pressure and put undue stress on the heart. If the heart is not pumping efficiently, fluid will build up in the extremities and the lungs that is what congestive heart failure is all about.

Okay well I back my claim up with the science behind why they are different, and that there is evidence that suggests natural sea salt does not raise blood pressure. And you come back with a very simplified and inaccurate view on what causes high blood pressure. Salt does not cause high blood pressure, it's the insufficiency of other minerals that keep water inside the cells and cause high blood pressure. When salt is taken with minerals (like in natural sea salt) evidence suggests that it lowers blood pressure.

I recommended the OP do their own research on it, i recommend you do as well before you post again
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'll go with what my Doctor recommends and that was cut back on salt of any kind. When you have a loss of Kidney function are you going to take that chance?

I'm sorry to say that if your Mom hasn't got the message by now then there may not be anything you can do for her. She has to cut back on her own.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

UnknownResident wrote:
gardengirl wrote:BUNK! Salt is salt is salt. SODIUM[/b]. The op is talking about someone with severe health conditions.

Okay well I back my claim up with the science behind why they are different, and that there is evidence that suggests natural sea salt does not raise blood pressure. And you come back with a very simplified and inaccurate view on what causes high blood pressure. Salt does not cause high blood pressure, it's the insufficiency of other minerals that keep water inside the cells and cause high blood pressure. When salt is taken with minerals (like in natural sea salt) evidence suggests that it lowers blood pressure.

I recommended the OP do their own research on it, i recommend you do as well before you post again

"Evidence suggests"? According to some people "evidence suggests" that Elvis is still alive and he was abducted by aliens.

Please show your research. I would like to see the studies and the makeup of the test group. How many participants were there, how old, what sex, what (if any) chronic medical conditions did they have? How long was the study? Who sponsored the research?

Perhaps there is some validity in what you say from a purely scientific standpoint, however, I suspect that the information you are looking at is with respect to healthy people with normal heart function.

My information came from directly from the Heart Function Clinic which is run in conjunction with the Cardiology services.
When you are talking about someone with compromised function, it is an entirely different situation.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Try looking into Dulce, dried and ground up. Good for the thyroid and in sprinkles it acts like a salt, tastes like crap if you stuff a leaf in yer mouth tho. I grew up with it available and wouldn't touch it with someone else's mouth but now we use it every day as a salt. Found in every health food store or order on line lots cheaper from eastern Canada.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Is that why your tongue is red? :dyinglaughing:

I would like to see some links to valid research as most of what I find is from places selling or pushing Celtic Sea Salt.

I don't call that definitive info.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Nope cos if it colored anything it would be purple then, hahaha
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Health”