Five reasons you should eat cucumbers

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Five reasons you should eat cucumbers

Post by oneh2obabe »

It turns out there really is something to the saying "cool as a cucumber." Cucumbers literally stay cooler than the ambient temperature around them, making them a perfect snack during a heat wave.

Cucumbers were once thought to be devoid of nutrients. As it turns out, their most nutritious part is the dark green skin, so consider buying them organic to avoid the wax and pesticides that are often sprayed on conventional cukes.

Five reasons to cool down with cucumbers
1. They support proper bone development: Cucumbers are high in vitamin C, which plays a pivotal role in the creation of collagen, a key component in the development of the bone matrix as well as the development of healthy hair skin and nails. Recent research suggests that scurvy is still a health concern; an inadequate intake of vitamin C can cause modern day symptoms of this olden-days condition.

2. Cucumber is great for your heart: The skin of the cucumber contains caffeic acid; this is an antioxidant that is shown to prevent further damage to the cells of the heart following a heart attack. The most amount of damage that is caused by a heart attack is a result of the free radicals that are created, and caffeic acid helps to mop these up.

3. Prevent osteoporosis with cucumbers: As well as good amounts of vitamin C, cucumbers also contain a considerable amount of silica (orthosilicic acid) in their skin. Silica has been proven to work synergistically with calcium and vitamin D to increase collagen production in the bones and avoid deterioration and brittle bones, which can lead to fractures.

4. Keep your brain sharp with cukes: Cucumber contains a trace mineral called molybdenum, a vital component of many enzyme functions in the entire body, not just in our digestive tract. These reactions are needed for proper brain function, motor control and memory retention. Molybdenum is especially important in the enzyme functions of the brain.

5. It's the ultimate weight-loss food: Along with being high in fiber and water, cucumbers are one of the only vegetables containing the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan has the ability to convert into serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that elevates our mood. Tryptophan has recently been successful in stopping emotional and binge eating, and is being used with great success to treat obesity and curb appetite.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Five reasons you should eat cucumbers

Post by Lady tehMa »

Thx for the cool info. It is one of the few veggies daughter actually likes, good thing I have a bumper crop of them this year! :sunshine:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm so jealous, I don't have one yet. Lots of plants, zero fruit.
If Putin stopped, he'd be saving Russian lives as well. Never thought the right would have a field day but June 24/2022 it is.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me.

:dyinglaughing:
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Bsuds wrote:Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me. Don't like them, they repeat on me.

:dyinglaughing:

:coffeecanuck: Do you have a scratch on your record album, moves needle ahead so Bsuds can resume speaking & not repeat himself. :sillygrin:
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's not the only thing that repeats on me.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.

Return to “Health”