Self-medicating

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Queen_Morpheus

Self-medicating

Post by Queen_Morpheus »

Someone close to me is doing something I think is putting her in danger of her health and well-being. She's a close friend who has been 'self-medicating' and using over the counter acetaminophen with codeine on a daily basis, and it's not just one or two pills she's taking! She's taking handfuls!! I tried to talk to her about what it's doing to her mind and body, but she doesn't listen! She thinks this actually 'helps' her get through her day (whatever that means). I asked her if it's causing pain by taking them, and she simply says, 'sometimes'. I don't know what the overall effect is on her, or why she chooses this method of staying 'numb', but she's not hearing me. I don't know what else to do to get her to listen to what is being said to her. She takes these pills and she's told me it makes her feel numb, but when that effect goes away, I see that she's miserable and moody. I'm not sure how much more of this I can handle. Seeing her kill herself slowly is not something I want on my conscience. What else is there to say or do for her???
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Re: Self-medicating

Post by strwbrrydvl »

It sounds as though your friend has a codeine addiction. Although it may sound silly to be addicted to those special T-1 tylenols it can and does happen - codiene is an opiate. The unfortunate thing with addicts is that hardly anything anyone can do will make them stop, it usually has to be their own 'a-ha moment'.

Share with her articles regarding opiate addictions. Share with her articles pertaining to acetaminophen poisoning, it is a very slow and painful way to die..Ingesting that amount of Tylenol daily would be rotting her liver. Most importantly try to have her seek counseling; there's likely a reason as to why she started with these to feel numb, depression, personality disorder etc. Give love and support, it can be very trying but addiction is an illness.

Family and other friends must notice this too?
http://addicthelp.org/addict-help/how-t ... ug-addict/
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

She should also be aware of the damage she is doing to her liver due to excessive amounts of acetaminophen (Tylenol). Here is a link:

"Tylenol (acetaminophen) Liver Damage"
http://www.medicinenet.com/tylenol_liver_damage/page2.htm
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

It is not the codeine I would be worried about, it's the Tylenol. I have been taking aspirin with codeine for almost 20 years with no ill effects. My friend took 6 Tylenol with 8 mg. codeine a day for 2 weeks, and he ended up in hospital with acute acetaminophen poisoning. Even 2 extra strength Tylenol are enough to damage the liver. A Tylenol overdose can take over 2 weeks to appear after taking Tylenol even once. I recently heard a class-action lawsuit is starting against the makers of Tylenol because it is so dangerous. Stick with aspirin-all natural.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

coffeeFreak wrote:She should also be aware of the damage she is doing to her liver due to excessive amounts of acetaminophen (Tylenol). Here is a link:

"Tylenol (acetaminophen) Liver Damage"
http://www.medicinenet.com/tylenol_liver_damage/page2.htm

Exactly !! Nevermind the codeine ( for now ) in this case , the acetaminophen in that kind of dosages can kill her .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

From the OP:
She takes these pills and she's told me it makes her feel numb, but when that effect goes away, I see that she's miserable and moody.

The acetaminophen does cause the most (possibly fatal) damage when taken in these doses but it's the opiate (codeine) that keeps her coming back to it. Psychological issues and the opiate addiction need to be addressed first IMO. People who take drugs constantly in order to feel numb have deeper issues.. Those with addictions / mental health issues don't care about harming their bodies.

Queen_Morpheus, any updates?
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.

Return to “Health”