Governments should tax junk food?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Governments should tax junk food?

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:Yesterday at WalMart in the checkout line, there was a woman with a full buggy and two young girls about 10-12 years old. Nice looking lady - nicely dressed but slightly overweight. Her buggy was loaded over the top with TV dinners (Michelinas must have been on sale - she had about 20 of them), potato chips, cookies, sweet cereals, canned spaghetti, candy and other poor choices. Nope, checked the flyer and Michelina wasn't on sale. Could she be stocking the freezer with these as after school snacks for the 2 girls instead of chips or cookies?

There was not one piece of fresh fruit, not one fresh veggie, no fresh meat in her shopping. She did have milk - about 3 jugs. Maybe she gets her fresh fruit and veggies at Quality Greens or Lakeview Market and meat at SuperStore, Costco, Johnny's or some other meat market. Milk is cheaper at Wal-Mart.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

grammafreddy wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Governments need to quit with this nannyism and get back to governing.

I don't see this instance as "nannyism" though - more cause and effect. to me it is a fiscally responsible decision to help offset the medical costs associated with the lifestyle. One way or the other we will be taxed to pay for the services provided, might as well target the ones that need (or will need)the services most.

It would be more fiscally responsible to teach people how to cook and shop smarter. Taxing them for their sins isn't the answer - educating them is. Prevention is worth a pound of cure.

that sounds a lot more like gov't nannying to me ... let people make there own choices and pay the consequences for those choices through increased taxation - why should the rest of us pay for their education (or lack of)?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I like my junk food! Tax fat people.
And don't go saying it is somehow my fault they are fat, they are fat by their own hand, don't punish me because they can't exercise self control
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

For some reason people think if you tax something, they'll just stop doing it - smoking, drinking, eating burgers, playing lottery. But the reality is that people just keep paying, they just get upset about it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

agreed. I can see in years to come HA selling Chips and chocolate bars :P
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

grammafreddy wrote:
UnknownResident wrote:Sure, our food system is skewed right now so that the bad calories are cheaper. That's messed up.

That's not true. That thought is used as an excuse but it is not true at all.

It's very do-able - but lazy folks or folks who are too "busy" will make all kinds of excuses and expect government to babysit them.

A rhetorical question: How many people out there will schedule out blocks of time for specific TV programs, but can't seem to take time out to put forth some effort to cook real food?

The problem is a mindset, not food or price, and I agree with what was said earlier about people complaining instead of changing.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

GF I agree with taxing junk food, with revue generated use it to lower the 5 food groups.

Sounds good to me.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

WTHWYT wrote:GF I agree with taxing junk food, with revue generated use it to lower the 5 food groups.

Sounds good to me.

And what makes you think that will do anything? Food is expensive because that's what people choose to buy - the packaged pre-made crap. They are too flippin' lazy to cook from scratch. Some people haven't got a clue what to do with fresh food.

Scratch food is cheaper and far more nutritious. It is not more expensive - unless you eat steak every night.

Healthy eating is part of family's lifestyle choice. Chose otherwise and you are subjecting yourself and your kids to poor health, lazy habits and a crappy attitude. Meal prep can be a family affair and be a bonding part of family life. But then again, families don't exist any more, do they? Everybody just does their own little self-centered "me thing".
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

How does anyone see "the lowering of prices on the fresh and healthy food" being done?

If prices are mandated lower in the grocery stores, then who is going to take that hit in their pocketbook? The growers? And then what? Are you prepared to pay extra in taxes to help them keep their farms going? Or do you want all your food to come from China?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

All the basic needed are along outer walls of the store, should only need to venture in middle for baking goods & rolled oats.

All the junk food & processed crap is either to high in sugar, sodium or both.

But if you want speed up your trip to a casket or other bad health issue than bon appétit.
IMO this should be one of basic that parents should be passing on to those kids they gave birth to, OMG what radical idea.
Parents teaching home economics 101 to next generation. Wow what could come from that I wonder, could it be nnnoooo.... responsible adults. Sorry just having a little fun with this... is true.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

hockeyfan1970 wrote:All the basic needed are along outer walls of the store, should only need to venture in middle for baking goods & rolled oats.

... and paper products, personal care items and pet food.

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

grammafreddy wrote:
hockeyfan1970 wrote:All the basic needed are along outer walls of the store, should only need to venture in middle for baking goods & rolled oats.

Oops your right GF.

IMO I would never buy pet food from any grocery store.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Imagination
Board Meister

Post by Imagination »

hockeyfan1970 wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:

Oops your right GF.

IMO I would never buy pet food from any grocery store.

Or better yet, eliminate pet food all together and take the same whole unprocessed food approach for the pets as well. They don't need the processed stuff any more than we do.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BC just voted to reduced the tax on junk food by 58%. Go figure.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Glacier wrote:BC just voted to reduced the tax on junk food by 58%. Go figure.

Not entirely true if what you mean is the HST vote.

You could (and will be able to again with the change back to GST) buy 1 donut and pay tax but if you buy 6 there was no tax because 6 was considered food but 1 was called junk. Donuts weren't the only thing that applied to but its the one that comes to mind at the moment.

Return to “Health”