Seasonal allergies in Kelowna/Okanagan?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
ogopogo17

Seasonal allergies in Kelowna/Okanagan?

Post by ogopogo17 »

Hello everyone - first post here. Although I live in Southern Ontario, I'm very familiar with the Okanagan, spending a few weeks there every summer as a kid. But I haven't visited since 2000 (I think it's changed a lot since then!)

My question is about seasonal allergies. Like many people, I have seasonal allergies. My worst are grasses and weeds - ragweed is the highest pollinating weed but I've tested strongly positive to every possible weed, including tumbleweed, sage, etc. Right now, Ontario is becoming uninhabitable for me. The herbicide ban was implemented in 2009 and instead of using alternative weed control methods, cities and individuals have taken it as a reason to quit controlling weeds. My suburban neighbourhood has houses with ragweed farms growing. Not surprisingly, my allergies have gone from annoying to debilitating.

My question is - how do people find seasonal allergies in Kelowna? Tree pollen isn't a big issue for me, it's grasses, weeds and molds that get me. My experience there is almost exclusively in late July and the first half of August. At that time of year, it's great for me. (or was years ago anyway).

Thanks everyone!
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Re: Seasonal allergies in Kelowna/Okanagan?

Post by good-cause-girl »

Hello... My daughter has really bad seasonal allergies and after trying all the OTC and Dr. issued drugs, we found
that eating 4-5 tablespoons a day of local honey calmed her right down to just light sniffles and next to zero sneezing, watery
eyes and sore throat. The help was instant. She now drinks all her tea or coffee with honey and uses it on her cereal.

Thing is if she uses store bought honey she gets sickly again, so it has to be local to the area that you will be living.

Talk to any beekeepers and they will help you with the viriety that will suit you best. I have told many people about this and it has been effective for all of them.

Try brainybee or Arlos. Both specialize and are super people who will explain anything that may be important to your particular allergy.

Good luck to you
ogopogo17

Post by ogopogo17 »

I have tried the local honey, kind of got off it but will start again. Unfortunately, I really didn't get much relief from it. I was careful to make it extremely local as our area of Southern Ontario - the south shore of Lake Ontario - actually has a lot of different natural vegetation than even the Toronto area. With ragweed completely out of control here in summer four of the pesticide (herbicide) ban, I'll try anything just to be able to live a remotely normal life again!

Hope your daughter keeps getting relief from the honey, that is great! What are some of the main allergens in Kelowna? You're fortunate not to have ragweed there! The climate there is the closest Canada has to the California climate where I did much better (I know winters are colder, but terrain, humidity levels, and summer weather are quite similar), that's one thing that appeals to me about Kelowna.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Post by good-cause-girl »

Hi... She was serious when Hay was being cut and when the pollen hit.
She also used to be intolerant of cats and that too seems to have changed,,,,, that one
just occured to me.

Another thing we do is take H202 drops. Explaining it would take way to long so maybe go
look it up on Google. It is Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide,,,,,, sounds nasty but it is worth looking
at. It was what I used when I quit smoking to clean up my lungs.

Return to “Health”