Vegetarian or Vegan groups?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
MeMyself

Vegetarian or Vegan groups?

Post by MeMyself »

A couple weeks ago I watched the documentary "Earthlings" and decided to go vegan, and did so immediately. My husband has still not seen it but was on board with me anyway. He has since watched "food that kills", which highlights the heath benefits and that made him decide to stay vegan. Are there any vegetarian or vegan groups in Kelowna or the Okanagan. We would like to attend information sessions, if so.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Re: Vegetarian or Vegan groups ?

Post by good-cause-girl »

Hello........ So, although you had very little interest in this extreemly healthful subject, I would like to ask what did you find, if anything on what you were looking for?

I have been a Vegetarian for well over a year and a Vegan for many months. My reasons are varied, but health was the main one. I didn't need to watch more that a few minutes of what happens to the animals to have my stomach turn enough to change for them as well.

Are you still following this life style? I love it. I have become so calm. I feel zero rage anymore. I have lost 9 inches in various areas of my body plus 16 of the easiest pounds I never even tried to lose. I eat non stop. I am also becoming rather good at cooking meatless and dairyless. I have found the library to be the end-all be-all for information and cook books. 2 of my favorite ones are: Vegan's Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick- Goudreau. And, Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin (Ellen's personal chef). Lots and lots of recepies with pictures.

We do not get sick anymore (colds/ flu, even hangovers for that matter)........... We sleep better.......Heartburn is gone, as are the off and on again chest pains...... Our breath is never bad anymore........ We are slimmer.......We are more tolerant of others over all and way way way more focused.

This way of eating has been life changing in so many ways for us. Although we are not 'social/ group people, I am interested in whether or not you ever found anything. Resturaunts that you can eat at? Do you actually tell people you are vegan? How do you answer the *bleep* questions about "killing plants that starve the animals" or protien intake etc? I have found it easier just to be silent, but when I saw your post I was curious.............
Danielson99
Board Meister

Re: Vegetarian or Vegan groups ?

Post by Danielson99 »

For me the #1 reason for becoming vegan is the moral issue surrounding the wholesale enslavement and murder of animals on huge scale. The treatment of them is horrendous even in Canada. This issue is far more important to me than the other benefits of being vegan.

A couple things I'd like to say to any prospective adopters of the vegan diet is

1. start taking a vegan source of B12
2. use canning jars as an inexpensive way to store nuts, seeds, dried fruits and vegetables.
3. invest in a good food dehydrator. It actually takes up less space dehydrating vs canning. Dehydrated fruits and veggies can last up to a year when stored properly and they hold their nutritional value better than canning. Canning fruit usually ends up meaning sugar is added also.

We love making coconut curried lentils which we serve over brown rice. We make our own pizza and enjoy so many tasty dishes. Being vegan does not lack any flavor that's for sure.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Vegetarian or Vegan groups?

Post by Rwede »

How many animals died when their habitat was ploughed under to grow the green crap you vegans eat?

Hypocrisy is so frustrating.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Actually a vegetarian diet is more green (lol) and has less of a carbon footprint...especially if you eat local.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

While I think the whole vegan concept is silly since I'm pretty sure an animal living on a farm then killed quickly has a much better life than one that spends it's life in the wild only to either starve to death or be ripped to shreds by predators, I do thank you for freeing up more steak and bacon for me to eat.

In the interest of being somewhat helpful, the Seventh Day Adventist church has a truck that comes around and sells certain vegetarian foods (unsure if any of them are vegan) that you can't get up here. I believe they're coming around again soon if you want to check it out.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Ive been a vegetarian for almost 30 years.
It changed my life.
I didnt have a clue how sick I was until I was well.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Rwede wrote:How many animals died when their habitat was ploughed under to grow the green crap you vegans eat?

Hypocrisy is so frustrating.

The posterboy for ignorance. Maybe if you read up about the topic before you comment you'll have one more shoe in your collection instead of wearing it up your ***.

To underscore, while in theory your view makes some sense. On a nice family farm where animals have big open spaces and live a great life, a quick death doesn't seem so bad does it.
Too bad the fact is that almost ALL meat that is sold in our grocery stores does not come from that type of source. It comes from farms where the animals live the most horrible life you can imagine. Mass production of meat, poultry and fish is a brutal world that definitely crosses a moral boundary for me.

However, the fact is that as long as the world is full of ignorant people like Rwede that do not know the facts or many that don't even care to....there will always be a market for this type of product.

On another note, while the Adventist truck was a great resource for non-meat alternatives...it's very expensive and it does not support our local producers. In the old days there were not so many options but now there are literally hundreds of them. Choices Market is a great place to start. Knowledgeable staff and a great variety.

Rwede, education is a great thing. Did you even realize that in order to feed all the animals needed to produce enough meat, poultry and fish for the world to eat MILLIONS of people are starving because the fact is that farmers are willing to pay more for that grain than AID groups do that feed the starving people. The fact is, if we were all vegan, there would be nobody on this earth starving.

This just touches the tip of the iceberg Rwede. You don't have to live with blinders on your whole life....there's a bigger picture out there for you to see, if you're willing to accept it's possible.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Danielson99 wrote:To underscore, while in theory your view makes some sense. On a nice family farm where animals have big open spaces and live a great life, a quick death doesn't seem so bad does it.
Too bad the fact is that almost ALL meat that is sold in our grocery stores does not come from that type of source. It comes from farms where the animals live the most horrible life you can imagine. Mass production of meat, poultry and fish is a brutal world that definitely crosses a moral boundary for me.

Does this information come from the same BS camp that the whole "KFC tortures chickens" thing came from? The reason I ask is because most of these shockumentaries tend to pick off a few bad apples and then paint an entire industry as being the same. Last time I drove through Alberta I saw a very large number of cows strolling around in fields as I went down the highway. If you chose to be a bit more selective I don't think it would be terribly hard to find meat sourced from a place you find more in line with your morals. There's also the option of hunting for wild meat.

Danielson99 wrote:The fact is, if we were all vegan, there would be nobody on this earth starving.

Probably because at least half of us wouldn't consider life worth living anymore. I'm sorry, but if I had to be vegan I would go insane. Even if I had to cut out farmed meat I'd start hunting.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The fact is, if we were all vegan, there would be nobody on this earth starving.

What would we do with all the animals that are herbivores competing with us?
Chill
shauna-gardiner

Post by shauna-gardiner »

I see this old post from 2013. I am looking for vegan type groups in Kelowna just to get together and share ideas. Anyone interested or know of any groups?
Thanks.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Have you tried this great website called google? Maybe facebook will have some local groups.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

You could also try asking at Nature's Fare as they do offer the best selection of vegan food options. They may have heard of such a group.
hail Satan y'all
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures

right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy

but seriously, vegans actually cause more animal death then eating meat.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

gman313 wrote:but seriously, vegans actually cause more animal death then eating meat.

Care to share a source?
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Health”