BC medical services

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21643
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by flamingfingers »

I know, thats why I dont have a problem paying into it. I fall into the higher tax bracket so I'm forced to pay the max.


It may come as a surprise to you to learn that MSP premiums are the same for someone making $40K or someone making $400K. BC and Ontario are the only provinces that charge MSP premiums - and in Ontario you pay according to your income bracket which is not so here in BC. MSP premiums here in BC bring in as much cash to government revenue as the resource industry taxes.
Chill
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Gixxer »

flamingfingers wrote:It may come as a surprise to you to learn that MSP premiums are the same for someone making $40K or someone making $400K. BC and Ontario are the only provinces that charge MSP premiums - and in Ontario you pay according to your income bracket which is not so here in BC. MSP premiums here in BC bring in as much cash to government revenue as the resource industry taxes.


Nope no surprise. I know a pay more than someone making less than $30k a year.
Last edited by Gixxer on Oct 1st, 2014, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21643
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by flamingfingers »

Nope no surprise. I know a pay more than someone making less than $40k a year.


No, they would have to be earning less than $30 K - but their MONTHLY premiums are shown on the table appended. You make more than $30 K a YEAR, you pay the SAME monthly premium as a person who makes more than $300K per year.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chill
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Gixxer »

Thats what I said from the beginning. I pay the maxed out contributions because I'm in a higher tax bracket.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21643
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by flamingfingers »

And as Bsuds stated, the truth is that us pensioners pay MSP premiums same as all the rest of you do. Even so we have paid into them for over 50 years already - to pay for your birth, your visits as a kid/adolescent/young adult for accidents, injuries, emergency services, doctors' appointments and long term hospitalizations for car accidents, & etc, but not YOU say that WE are costing the health care system too much.

Then get the government to see the cost effectiveness of providing long term care facilities for oldsters or better services to keep us out of HOSPITAL beds. Or would you prefer to take your old mom out on an ice floe and leave her there to perish because she was 'costing too much'. Don't forget, as Bsuds said, "You will get to that stage eventually."
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21643
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by flamingfingers »

Thats what I said from the beginning. I pay the maxed out contributions because I'm in a higher tax bracket.


So then I guess you make $31,500 a year? I make more than that through my pensions alone, so essentially I pay the same as you do.
Chill
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Gixxer »

flamingfingers wrote:And as Bsuds stated, the truth is that us pensioners pay MSP premiums same as all the rest of you do. Even so we have paid into them for over 50 years already - to pay for your birth, your visits as a kid/adolescent/young adult for accidents, injuries, emergency services, doctors' appointments and long term hospitalizations for car accidents, & etc, but not YOU say that WE are costing the health care system too much.

Then get the government to see the cost effectiveness of providing long term care facilities for oldsters or better services to keep us out of HOSPITAL beds. Or would you prefer to take your old mom out on an ice floe and leave her there to perish because she was 'costing too much'. Don't forget, as Bsuds said, "You will get to that stage eventually."


Wow you've really taken my words and twisted them into something I didnt even imply. Stop getting all worked up over nothing, I wasn't attacking senior citizens.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21643
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by flamingfingers »

Gixer wrote:

I'm not saying senior citizens get a free ride, but the cost to take care of them is alot higher than younger people.


Kinda looked like you implied that.
Chill
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51206
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Bsuds »

Gixxer wrote:
I'm not saying senior citizens get a free ride, but the cost to take care of them is alot higher than younger people.


Sorry but that's BS as well. Lots of young people with Cancer and other diseases. When my Grandson was born he was a premie and had heart issues too boot. Was flown to childrens hospital in Vancouver and had an extended stay there. I don't think his premiums will ever pay for it.
There are many cases like that. As I said it averages out over everyone.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51206
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Bsuds »

norton123 wrote:Last time I went in for my drivers physical it cost me $75,again what's covered?


That's an extra, you're not sick so why should medical pay for that. Should we all pay for your license too!
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 32560
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Bc medical services

Post by GordonH »

norton123 wrote:Again I'm a tad confused, I was under the assumption we had free health care in Canada, getting a bill every month for services not rendered or not covered is not free,I have tried to resolve this but one can only deal with rude govt. workers for so long, I will pay the bill in full and when I informed them I wanted out of there system, well that involes a whole new dept. and more automated services. I know things are'nt always perfect, but dealing with anyone in the bc govt. has to me been the most frustrating exp.


There is nothing really free since a majority of the expenses to run Medical Services comes from taxes, now at one time some Provinces did not have month premiums. All that meant is there taxes were a little higher which equaled the monthly premium.
If you really want opt out, only thing is if that happens any medical expenses will come out of your pocket i.e simple hospital visit could run you 700 to 1000 dollars in 1 emergency (I could be low balling those figures).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51206
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Bsuds »

norton123 wrote:Again I'm a tad confused, I was under the assumption we had free health care in Canada, getting a bill every month for services not rendered or not covered is not free,I have tried to resolve this but one can only deal with rude govt. workers for so long, I will pay the bill in full and when I informed them I wanted out of there system, well that involes a whole new dept. and more automated services. I know things are'nt always perfect, but dealing with anyone in the bc govt. has to me been the most frustrating exp.


If you opt out of the medical care system it will be the stupidest move you will ever make!!!
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Gixxer »

flamingfingers wrote:
Kinda looked like you implied that.


No that's not what I implied. You've interrupted it wrong.
It's a fact that as a person grows older their health diminishes, which results in more visits to health care facilities.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21643
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by flamingfingers »

No that's not what I implied. You've interrupted it wrong.
It's a fact that as a person grows older their health diminishes, which results in more visits to health care facilities.


Well, perhaps what you seemed to imply that I INTERPRETED wrong is that only OLD people were a drain on the medical system. Having worked in the medical system for over 50 years of my life, there are way more younger people making demands on the resources for health care - kidney transplants, heart and lung transplants, neonatal care, preemie stays of up to half a year, HIV protocols, spinal cord rehabilitation, cancer treatments for people under 60.... all of these cost way more than the per diem of a befuddled oldster dribbling in a bib or a Depends. But an Acute Care hospital bed is NOT the appropriate place for these oldsters to be.
Chill
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Gixxer »

O.k. whateve's. I'll agree with you because I don't like to upset the senior citizens.

Return to “Health”