Total Hip Replacement - Personal Experiences??

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Total Hip Replacement - Personal Experiences??

Post by LiamHaddock »

Hi everyone,

I'm 27 yrs old with severe osteoarthritis in my left hip. I've been off work on long term disability since September and just found out a couple weeks ago I will be getting a Ceramic-On-Ceramic total hip replacement November of this year. I'm pretty nervous but looking forward to eventually getting my life back.

These last years have been absolute hell for me. My osteoarthritis went from mild to severe in less than a year. I've gone from being able to manage my pain with non-narcotic painkillers and medical marijuana for last couple years to taking percocet daily, even though I hate it and its effecting my appetite and constantly making me sleepy.

So anyone that's had a hip replacement, what was your experience like, how are you doing now?

Anyone gone snowboarding/skiing/biking with their new hip, if so how did it go?

Pain management, any tips suggestions, im going to phsyio 2 times a week, including acupuncture and I go swimming at the pool?

Any advice on getting appetite back, eating food is getting to be such a chore.. even after smoking medical marijuana I don't get munchies anymore?

Really any info any of you think would be beneficial for me I'd love to have it!
fastfreddie
Fledgling

Re: Total Hip Replacement - Personal Experiences??

Post by fastfreddie »

I am supposed to have hip surgery as well. Still working full time. On the average, how long does it take to fully recuperate? At this time the pain is still managable with "Tylenol Arthritis" medication. Can't afford to take a long time off work.
It's not the color of your skin that matters,it's the color of your blood.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

My MIL has had both hips replaced. She's like a new women....back to golfing and her regular activities. She seemed to recover really fast.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've heard the same, but I've also heard that you can expect a 10-15 year warranty on them before having to have another done (depending on your level of activity).
I haven't failed until I quit.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

WeatherWoman wrote:My MIL has had both hips replaced. She's like a new women....back to golfing and her regular activities. She seemed to recover really fast.

This is great to hear! the more people I tell the more successful stories I'm hearing. I'm still really scared but optimistic that it will give me a lot of freedom back and just really my life back.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Lady tehMa wrote:I've heard the same, but I've also heard that you can expect a 10-15 year warranty on them before having to have another done (depending on your level of activity).

yeah my surgeon is saying 20yrs+ on new ceramic on ceramic hip I'm getting as it wears a lot slower than normal plastic materials. They don't really know though because they keep making new ceramic compounds and trying to improve them that the materials have only been out several years to most are just lab tests. I'm going t need to get atleast 2 more hips most likely in my life, If i manage to live that long lol.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

fastfreddie wrote:I am supposed to have hip surgery as well. Still working full time. On the average, how long does it take to fully recuperate? At this time the pain is still managable with "Tylenol Arthritis" medication. Can't afford to take a long time off work.

Sorry to hear your unable to take off time from work, if your work has benefits you maybe able to take short term/long term disability so you don't have to work in pain. I'm in pain non stop to some degree I couldn't imagine suffering still at work. Recovery time is expected to be roughly 2 months from what I hear. I have a really good physiotherapist though so I'm hoping my recovery will go quick!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I have never had hip replacement surgery myself, but have worked with and know a couple people who have.

One of my guy friends has to get a hip replaced in his early 20's after a dirt bike accident. I didn't know him well at the time, so don't know much about his recovery. But today he continues to be active: dirt biking, snowboarding, skateboarding etc.

I worked with an older gentleman who had to get both hips replaced along with both knees. His recovery look a month or so to get back to 100% but he was up and walking within days. Getting him to do the recovery exercises was a pain in the butt, and I don't believe he did so properly so that may have impacted his recovery as well.

Good luck with your surgery!
hail Satan y'all
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

whatwhat wrote:I have never had hip replacement surgery myself, but have worked with and know a couple people who have.

One of my guy friends has to get a hip replaced in his early 20's after a dirt bike accident. I didn't know him well at the time, so don't know much about his recovery. But today he continues to be active: dirt biking, snowboarding, skateboarding etc.

I worked with an older gentleman who had to get both hips replaced along with both knees. His recovery look a month or so to get back to 100% but he was up and walking within days. Getting him to do the recovery exercises was a pain in the butt, and I don't believe he did so properly so that may have impacted his recovery as well.

Good luck with your surgery!

Thanks for sharing these stories of people you know, the more positive stories I hear the more excited and less scared I'm getting about getting this done. Its great to hear the one guy is dirt biking and snowboarding!! those are both hobbies I've missed these last few years.

Thanks for the well wishes, cheers!
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Just got exciting news today! My surgeon called and is able to get me in this coming friday for my total hip replacement! A full 5 months ahead of schedule! Very excited but still very nervous. I will keep everyone updated and let you all know how it goes!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Good luck and we hope it all goes well for you!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Someone I know had it done in late October, they get you up right away and send you home pretty much the next day.
Make sure you do what they tell you and you'll be fine. See if you can get into the rehab. at the pool in the hospital, huge difference. They were told could be a year until "total" comfort. They are a different person but if over doing it, does still feel it occassionaly.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Awesome glad to here it went well for the person you know as well! I've been told I'll be at hospital until Monday most likely. I have a great physiotherapist and will be continuing to do aquatic exercises as well. I'm going to be staying on top of anything my physiotherapist, surgeon or anyone recommends I do to heal the best I can. I can't wait to be hiking, biking and snowboarding again!
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I, personally have not had the procedure done but, EVERYONE that I know that had one, is extremely happy with the results. The only problem that I heard of from anyone is the wait time to get it done. That and knee replacements.
Good luck to all that are considering the replacements, you won't regret it for the rest of your life.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Well today is the big day!
I'm at the hospital registered waiting now. My surgery is in 2 hrs.
I'm really nervous, anxious and exited all at the same time.
I always have the fear of not waking up when going under for surgery, I know chance is minimal but something could always go wrong.
I'm really excited to be getting my hip replacement though finally and will be able to recover 5 full months earlier than expected.
I'll post again when out of surgery and let you all know how it went and how much bloody pain I'm in. Thankfully I'm being given a pain pump so I'll have good drugs on push button when I wake up at least lol.
Have a good day everyone!

Return to “Health”