Motherless Daughters Support Group

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
ndmw

Motherless Daughters Support Group

Post by ndmw »

I lost my mother from cancer when I was 9 years old. Today, I am 30 and can definitely say I have had my fair share of ups and downs throughout life, just like anyone else. During those ups and downs I wished nothing more than to have my mother by my side. Now that I am about to enter the biggest chapter of my life - I am getting married - I feel as though I am ready to give back to others who have gone through something similar.

I am looking to see if anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, or feedback on my idea - I want to start a support group for young girls who have lost their mothers. The purpose of the group would be offer each other support and guidance as these girls go through ups and downs in their life without their mothers. I want to share my experiences and act as a mentor, almost like a "big sister" to these girls. We could meet on a regular basis and talk about what we're going through, we could even do fun things in the community. I don't want the group to be deeply emotional and sad, instead I want it to be a place learn and grow from each other.

Does anything like this already exist in Kelowna? Thanks in advance for your kinds words of encouragement!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Motherless Daughters Support Group

Post by whatwhat »

What a great idea! Not that I have lost my mother, but I know others who have and have struggled with same.

I would try going to Mental Health in the Interior Health building on Ellis and asking there to see if there is something similar. They might also be able to help you organize it and provide a space for it as well. They do offer many different types of groups there.
hail Satan y'all
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

That is a great idea! good on you society needs your type

One suggestion to get started:

I know one of the local autism support groups meets once a week at a local coffee shop in the back room downtown somewhere.

Consider renting that (I think its free, encourage everyone to buy a coffee) and hold an informal drop in come and leave when you want type thing and see the interest. might get quite a few people out and go from there.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Are you thinking kind of like a big brothers / sisters idea?

Lost my dad when I was in my early 20's and think about him every day. Have a friend who has a daughter near the age of mine who is going through a difficult time as her dad is terminal with cancer. She won't talk to anyone about how she's feeling. I've had them over as our girls are friends and I sometimes bring up my experience as it relates to hers as my dad had cancer as well. It gets her talking and asking me questions and I can tell it makes her feel good to talk. I think your idea is a great one.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.

Return to “Health”