Flu vaccinations

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
zzontar
Guru

Flu vaccinations

Post by zzontar »

I'm wondering how many people get their flu shots, if they're told about the cons of vaccinations before getting the shot, and how many feel pressured by the health care system to get one. This is a thread to discuss the questions if you have an opinion on the matter, not one to post links.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Flu vaccinations

Post by w84u2 »

I get a flu shot every year, and every time I do, I am asked a series of questions and am given the standard warnings. I can't remember how long it has been since I got sick from the flu, even when the high exposure to those that did have the flu. I highly recommend getting the shot.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

w84u2 wrote:I get a flu shot every year, and every time I do, I am asked a series of questions and am given the standard warnings. I can't remember how long it has been since I got sick from the flu, even when the high exposure to those that did have the flu. I highly recommend getting the shot.

Did they tell you about the cons of vaccinations?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 9th, 2016, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I started getting the flu shot the past 3 years when I started my job in the medical field. It is mandatory, or else I have to wear a mask and gloves for the next 4 months, no thank you. I guess you can say I am "pressured", but honestly I knew what I was getting into when I started my education in the field. If I was going to be strongly against the flu shot, I probably wouldn't have gone into a field where I knew it was mandatory.

They do tell me the medical consequences, as they have too. But I have a feeling that the pharmacists version of the consequences is a lot different then the anti-vaxxers consequences. I respect and listen to our pharmacist, so I'll take his knowledge over mystery information on the internet.
hail Satan y'all
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

I get all mine from my long time family GP.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

zzontar wrote:I'm wondering how many people get their flu shots, if they're told about the cons of vaccinations before getting the shot, and how many feel pressured by the health care system to get one. This is a thread to discuss the questions if you have an opinion on the matter, not one to post links.

When I was young, my physician recommended against it because it screws around with the immune system too much. He, however, sternly recommends it to a family member whose risks from having a bad flu outweigh the immune system tampering risks.

It’s a case-by-case thing, and no one should be taken to task for their decision in the matter.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

w84u2 wrote: I am asked a series of questions and am given the standard warnings. I can't remember how long it has been since I got sick from the flu, even when the high exposure to those that did have the flu. I highly recommend getting the shot.

Read the part in red. This time a little slower.

Different vaccines have different side-effects, so a standard warning would be useless, plus lots of people have never had a shot so have never heard what a "standard" warning is.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 9th, 2016, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think doctors should be allowed to offer alternatives. Oncologists come to mind, even if they read about successful alternative treatments they're only allowed to prescribe big pharma's meds. I don't think it's right to demand someone gets a shot that's not proven to always be successful and comes with possible side-effects when it might not be necessary at all.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

zzontar wrote:
w84u2 wrote: I am asked a series of questions and am given the standard warnings. I can't remember how long it has been since I got sick from the flu, even when the high exposure to those that did have the flu. I highly recommend getting the shot.

Read the part in red. This time a little slower.

Different vaccines have different side-effects, so a standard warning would be useless, plus lots of people have never had a shot so have never heard what a "standard" warning is.

The "standard" warning is the same one that I listen to every year before I get my shot and it is "standard" practice to listen and be able to understand and comprehend. Otherwise, you need a permission slip from your mommy and/or daddy.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 9th, 2016, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

zzontar wrote:I think doctors should be allowed to offer alternatives. Oncologists come to mind, even if they read about successful alternative treatments they're only allowed to prescribe big pharma's meds. I don't think it's right to demand someone gets a shot that's not proven to always be successful and comes with possible side-effects when it might not be necessary at all.

Since when do Oncologists have anything to do with "getting the Flu shot" and the topic of the thread?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

zzontar wrote:I'm wondering how many people get their flu shots, if they're told about the cons of vaccinations before getting the shot, and how many feel pressured by the health care system to get one. This is a thread to discuss the questions if you have an opinion on the matter, not one to post links.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 9th, 2016, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Health”