Pregnancy alters woman's brain 'for at least two years'

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
forum
Guru

Pregnancy alters woman's brain 'for at least two years'

Post by forum »

Pregnancy reduces grey matter in specific parts of a woman's brain, helping her bond with her baby and prepare for the demands of motherhood.

Scans of 25 first-time mums showed these structural brain changes lasted for at least two years after giving birth.
European researchers said the scale of brain changes during pregnancy were akin to those seen during adolescence.
But they found no evidence of women's memory deteriorating.
Many women have said they feel forgetful and emotional during pregnancy and put it down to "pregnancy" or "baby" brain - and, it seems, with good reason.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38341901
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Pregnancy alters woman's brain 'for at least two years'

Post by WeatherWoman »

plus not sleeping well which can last for YEARS AND YEARS.

Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
FSnme43

Post by FSnme43 »

forum wrote:Pregnancy reduces grey matter in specific parts of a woman's brain, helping her bond with her baby and prepare for the demands of motherhood.

Scans of 25 first-time mums showed these structural brain changes lasted for at least two years after giving birth.
European researchers said the scale of brain changes during pregnancy were akin to those seen during adolescence.
But they found no evidence of women's memory deteriorating.
Many women have said they feel forgetful and emotional during pregnancy and put it down to "pregnancy" or "baby" brain - and, it seems, with good reason.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38341901

Thank you for sharing (Y)
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I don't think we ever get it back.

I know that women are subjected to hormone fluctuations on a regular basis, but I also know that large events such as pregnancy can have a lasting effect on a body. For example, until I became pregnant, straight hair. After pregnancy, wavy/curly hair. Since my pregnancies were 20 an 18 years ago, I can say with some certainty I doubt it will change back the way it was.

Unless of course, menopause has something to say about that. :p

Did anyone see this? It is a good way to explain

Now they need one for pregnancy.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Health”