Diabetes

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Re: Diabetes

Post by hozzle »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 20th, 2022, 6:26 pm I have not seen any study that showed the course of covid could be changed by taking people with, say, diabetes or obesity, and somehow magically reversing their condition, and therefore having a better outcome, mainly because if there is already a 99% survival rate after these people get covid, it would take a huge study to show that a) these conditions could be cured b) and then that this improved their survival rate by much. Yet, if they get vaccinated, and good hospital treatment(if needed), they have a survival rate compared to other covid patients.
Some other considerations for those with diabetes who contract a covid infection: Stress, and the stress of hospitalization/treatment with glucocorticoids, can cause hyperglycemia, which is more problematic for those with prediabetes/diabetes, could be part of the reason why those with diabetes have more complications with covid.
PSA...
there is a lot conjuncture, speculation, and personal opinion in these board posts (same can be said for some of my posts)...
consult your doctor before taking advice if you are experiencing covid symptoms and may be pre-diabetic and/or diabetic.
"Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite." - Charles Spurgeon
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I don’t consider age to be a comorbidity. Age is a natural process that eventually affects everyone. So, although it’s true that advancing age is the greatest risk factor for a poor Covid outcome, diabetes is the most prevalent “comorbidity” associated with complications of Covid.

It should also be noted that advancing age alone was rarely responsible for severe Covid. Most of the old folks who succumbed also had 3 or more comordidities, of which diabetes was the most prevalent.

Of course, there are always exceptions to every commonality, but diabetes was, and is, a very great risk factor for severe Covid.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

liisgo wrote: May 18th, 2022, 7:42 am Regardless of "what happened" we all know full well through all proven science, who and why we were so severely attack by Covid. We know what select groups of people are and will continue to be vulnerable to it and future virus's. It's ironic that the very same people that ignored at all cost's any thought of what we were being told were leading medical conditions that played the most vital role in covid death and severity are the ones still wanting to keep all this info. and acknowledgment away from the learning and adjusting of our societies absolutely horrible health status.
We can assist, make changes, create measures that would help everyone, but we are far too focused on political needs and personal emotional needs instead of taking measures.
We still keep healthy, young people from plane travel. That's not science,,,that's politics.
If we cannot acknowledge the proven facts of the links associated to this whole covid pandemic because we need to satisfy groups of society that do not want to address them as more important for basing our whole pandemic approach on we are incapable of handling any issue's.
CDC, you know, that little group of scientist's that our government relied on so much to guide as all through the pandemic. This is what they say about Diabetes. So, why are we hearing people trying to lessen the proven science so desperately? Exactly what happened through out covid. People are picking and choosing what fits them instead of us all addresses science for what it is telling us.
Obesity is a major independent risk factor for developing the disease, and more than 90% of type 2 diabetics are overweight or obese 2. Modest weight loss, as little as 5% of total body weight, can help to improve type 2 diabetes in patients who are overweight or obese
But you know what we do in this country with this kind of information, we ignore it because far too many people want to. They are more concerned about a mask and keeping their neighbour from the gym. And we wonder why we are failing.
Remember the government used term, "Science deniers"?
Give people that need to look at themselves a chance to point the finger at their neighbour and then you have todays society.
Any evidence that "modest weight loss, as little as 5% of total body weight" makes any difference to covid outcomes?
Asking for evidence, discussing related studies, is not "denying the science".
Even if 90% of type 2 diabetics are OW or obese, how do explain the fact that 99% of those who are overweight did not die of covid? If it was such a HUGE risk factor, surely more of those 200 MILLION overweight americans, half of whom would qualify as obese, would have died of covid.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

liisgo wrote: May 18th, 2022, 7:42 am Regardless of "what happened" we all know full well through all proven science, who and why we were so severely attack by Covid. We know what select groups of people are and will continue to be vulnerable to it and future virus's. It's ironic that the very same people that ignored at all cost's any thought of what we were being told were leading medical conditions that played the most vital role in covid death and severity are the ones still wanting to keep all this info. and acknowledgment away from the learning and adjusting of our societies absolutely horrible health status.
We can assist, make changes, create measures that would help everyone, but we are far too focused on political needs and personal emotional needs instead of taking measures.
We still keep healthy, young people from plane travel. That's not science,,,that's politics.
If we cannot acknowledge the proven facts of the links associated to this whole covid pandemic because we need to satisfy groups of society that do not want to address them as more important for basing our whole pandemic approach on we are incapable of handling any issue's.
CDC, you know, that little group of scientist's that our government relied on so much to guide as all through the pandemic. This is what they say about Diabetes. So, why are we hearing people trying to lessen the proven science so desperately? Exactly what happened through out covid. People are picking and choosing what fits them instead of us all addresses science for what it is telling us.
Obesity is a major independent risk factor for developing the disease, and more than 90% of type 2 diabetics are overweight or obese 2. Modest weight loss, as little as 5% of total body weight, can help to improve type 2 diabetes in patients who are overweight or obese
But you know what we do in this country with this kind of information, we ignore it because far too many people want to. They are more concerned about a mask and keeping their neighbour from the gym. And we wonder why we are failing.
Remember the government used term, "Science deniers"?
Give people that need to look at themselves a chance to point the finger at their neighbour and then you have todays society.
You mean we keep some "healthy" young people from travel. People at airports have no way of knowing whether the person they are standing or sitting next to for possibly hours is asymptomatic but infected, or actually healthy. Often people don't know themselves that they are infected. Transmission in and around airports (in fact any large gatherings indoors) has been shown to occur in the past. Airlines are desperate to get their customers back and they can't do that if they don't make a good effort to reduce the numbers of potentially infected people travelling by air. If air travel is going to be available to those who really need it, then everyone has to make an effort where possible to keep the infections down. Anyone who wants or needs to travel can meet the requirements for vaccination in just a few short minutes. Otherwise, maybe they didn't really need to travel that badly eh?
Some people are exempt from the vaccine requirements. So anyone could be sitting next to them on a plane or standing in an airport. This is why masking and distancing where possible are also important.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/unvacc ... -1.6330134
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 8:57 am Anyone who wants or needs to travel can meet the requirements for vaccination in just a few short minutes. Otherwise, maybe they didn't really need to travel that bad eh?
Please explain how if I want to travel but am not injected how I can get on a plane in a few short minutes thanks.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Kroynon wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 9:40 am
Silverstarqueen wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 8:57 am Anyone who wants or needs to travel can meet the requirements for vaccination in just a few short minutes. Otherwise, maybe they didn't really need to travel that bad eh?
Please explain how if I want to travel but am not injected how I can get on a plane in a few short minutes thanks.
"the requirements for vaccination in just a few short minutes", as you well know, a vaccination only takes minutes. Could have been done any time in the last year, but of course if you are "not vaccinated", you would have to get vaccinated. I know that seems incredibly difficult, but health authorities did make it as easy and convenient as possible. Check appropriate websites if you still can't figure it out. I should think if you were clever enough to book a flight, get to an airport, follow all the other hundreds of regulations, getting a vaccine is comparatively not that tricky. Somehow nearly 4 million or so b.c. citizens managed to do it, so it can't be that difficult.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Merry wrote: May 21st, 2022, 10:45 pm I don’t consider age to be a comorbidity. Age is a natural process that eventually affects everyone. So, although it’s true that advancing age is the greatest risk factor for a poor Covid outcome, diabetes is the most prevalent “comorbidity” associated with complications of Covid.

It should also be noted that advancing age alone was rarely responsible for severe Covid. Most of the old folks who succumbed also had 3 or more comordidities, of which diabetes was the most prevalent.

Of course, there are always exceptions to every commonality, but diabetes was, and is, a very great risk factor for severe Covid.
Aging is a natural process, but age is the greatest, and independent, risk factor for severe covid, every decade of additional years, increases a person's risk. So to ignore that as a contributing factor is really ignoring everything that our PHO's and the studies have shown us to date. Co morbidities multiply that risk again, so an aged person with the same level of heart disease (for example), as a younger person, will have a much higher risk of severe outcomes.
Over 3 million people in canada are living with diabetes, and at 1 million more undiagnosed, 40,000 Canadians died of covid (obviously not all diabetic). That means that about 1% of diabetics did not die of covid. Diabetes is certainly a risk factor, but it is not nearly the only risk factor. I posted yesterday a study which looked at the odds ratios for various comorbidities of people who died of covid.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on May 22nd, 2022, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 9:58 am

"the requirements for vaccination in just a few short minutes", as you well know, a vaccination only takes minutes. Could have been done any time in the last year, but of course if you are "not vaccinated", you would have to get vaccinated. I know that seems incredibly difficult, but health authorities did make it as easy and convenient as possible. Check appropriate websites if you still can't figure it out. I should think if you were clever enough to book a flight, get to an airport, follow all the other hundreds of regulations, getting a vaccine is comparatively not that tricky. Somehow nearly 4 million or so b.c. citizens managed to do it, so it can't be that difficult.
You said if you spend a few short minutes to get injected you will then meet vaccination requirements for travel.

That is incorrect information as usual.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

:popcorn: another thread taken hostage by vaccines and covid. [icon_lol2.gif]
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Try Googling it as you will get more correct answers than on here.

:topic:
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Kroynon wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:09 am
Silverstarqueen wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 9:58 am
You said if you spend a few short minutes to get injected you will then meet vaccination requirements for travel.

*removed* my comment is there for anyone to read, the information is correct, as usual.
You can say whatever you want, does not change the fact that the anyone could have gotten the vaccination in just a few short minutes, anytime in the last year. How do you think 80% or so of canadians managed to do it? Anyone who travels is responsible for finding out the requirements, and knows there are many requirements that have to be fulfilled before getting on a plane. You want the freedom to do whatever you want, but you don't want to live with your choices.
Last edited by ferri on May 22nd, 2022, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 22nd, 2022, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 20th, 2022, 6:26 pm
I have not seen any study that showed the course of covid could be changed by taking people with, say, diabetes or obesity, and somehow magically reversing their condition, and therefore having a better outcome, mainly because if there is already a 99% survival rate after these people get covid, it would take a huge study to show that a) these conditions could be cured b) and then that this improved their survival rate by much. Yet, if they get vaccinated, and good hospital treatment(if needed), they have a survival rate compared to other covid patients.
This science to your statement above is absolutely proven and documented in pretty much every single medical website you can find. But we could just do a search through out WHO, WOF and CDC. There are many links and information clearly showing the direct link to covid that Diabetes and overweight/obese condition's have. Like the negative result a ventilator has when dealing with someone with these conditions.
Look, the magic has been in place all along. It's sometimes hard work. Takes a wack of commitment but as these medical site's state, its very possible for most people to change or at least assist in the horrible health complications that it contributes to.
Do as you like with the science. The absolute truth is, addresses your personal health can contribute overall drastically to everyone's covid vulnerability.
Like it or not, its the fact. And a lot of people have achieved success in adjusting their conditions to better protect themselves. What is the next virus going to be? Are you ready or are you dependant on waiting for pfizer?
Can you prove that you are more protected with the vaccine than say myself, being unvaccinated?

Please make my choice for me with facts and science.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:23 am
Kroynon wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:09 am

*removed* my comment is there for anyone to read, the information is correct, as usual.
You can say whatever you want, does not change the fact that the anyone could have gotten the vaccination in just a few short minutes, anytime in the last year. How do you think 80% or so of canadians managed to do it? Anyone who travels is responsible for finding out the requirements, and knows there are many requirements that have to be fulfilled before getting on a plane. You want the freedom to do whatever you want, but you don't want to live with your choices.
You want to force people to do what you want or take away their choices. You can say whatever you want but won't change that a few minutes is not enough to meet the requirements of vaccination for travel.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

zoo wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 3:35 pm
Silverstarqueen wrote: May 20th, 2022, 6:26 pm
I have not seen any study that showed the course of covid could be changed by taking people with, say, diabetes or obesity, and somehow magically reversing their condition, and therefore having a better outcome, mainly because if there is already a 99% survival rate after these people get covid, it would take a huge study to show that a) these conditions could be cured b) and then that this improved their survival rate by much. Yet, if they get vaccinated, and good hospital treatment(if needed), they have a survival rate compared to other covid patients.
This science to your statement above is absolutely proven and documented in pretty much every single medical website you can find. But we could just do a search through out WHO, WOF and CDC. There are many links and information clearly showing the direct link to covid that Diabetes and overweight/obese condition's have. Like the negative result a ventilator has when dealing with someone with these conditions.
Look, the magic has been in place all along. It's sometimes hard work. Takes a wack of commitment but as these medical site's state, its very possible for most people to change or at least assist in the horrible health complications that it contributes to.
Do as you like with the science. The absolute truth is, addresses your personal health can contribute overall drastically to everyone's covid vulnerability.
Like it or not, its the fact. And a lot of people have achieved success in adjusting their conditions to better protect themselves. What is the next virus going to be? Are you ready or are you dependant on waiting for pfizer?
Can you prove that you are more protected with the vaccine than say myself, being unvaccinated?

Please make my choice for me with facts and science.
Then post a study or studies which prove that people have reversed diabetes or obesity and had a better outcome from covid. You say it's proven, that doesn't show the evidence that it has been proven.
If there are sooooo many studies on this, let's have them.

Return to “Health”