Diabetes

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Re: Diabetes

Post by 77TA »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 9:48 am

Campbell has even called for a halt to the vaccine, which is insane, but says he is unconcerned about the millions who have died, and even are currently dying in countries which are not adequately vaccinated. Strange that, coming from a retired nurse, "doctor".
Please show where Campbell says he's unconcerned about the millions who have died.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 9th, 2023, 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Off Topic
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 11:13 am
rustled wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 10:08 am
Likely another mischaracterization prior to ad hominem.

Gotta thank you for bringing Dr. Campbell's review of the vitamin D/diabetes studies to our attention. I hadn't heard about that field of promising research until he was being criticized for reviewing some of the findings.

Interesting how Dr. Campbell and the people who criticize him are a pretty good team, letting us know what's being researched, including this topic.
You are welcome,
:up:
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

77TA wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 10:11 am
Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 9:48 am
Campbell has even called for a halt to the vaccine, which is insane, but says he is unconcerned about the millions who have died, and even are currently dying in countries which are not adequately vaccinated. Strange that, coming from a retired nurse, "doctor".
Please show where Campbell says he's unconcerned about the millions who have died.
I am sure you can sift thru all his videos to find the ones where he says that.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 11:54 am
77TA wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 10:11 am

I am sure you can sift thru all his videos to find the ones where he says that.
Given that what he said about vitamin D and diabetes has been mischaracterized, I am reasonably sure Dr. Campbell did not say that either.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thanks for sharing!
The more I learn the more I realize I don't know.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Thinktank wrote: Jan 13th, 2017, 7:15 am I just realized something. All those years I spent "learning" about the world, listening to the Peter Mansbridges, the Gloria Macarenkos, the Rick Webbers, the Claudia Ceglarzs, the Mike Robertses, I don't know a thing about diabetes. There's a good reason for that. The news is supposed to keep us dumb, by giving us little fragments of information but never never telling us the whole story because that would take more than thirty seconds. So we all end up, like me, all these years later, not knowing anything about a major disease in Canada that will affect nearly 20% of us. It seems to me when people go to their doctor, they are trusting the doctor to know something about the disease, because they are completely ignorant. That's not good to be ignorant.

But no one is born with diabetes. Zero people on earth are born with diabetes. So what's going on?

What is diabetes?
Why do some people get it and others don't?
Would you have to be completely nuts to start taking medication, without even learning what caused the disease?
And how can you get rid of it without drugs from your doctor, which don't work anyway?

Discuss. In your own words. What do you know about this BIG Canadian problem?
Anyone who can read a book, or go online could find out the answers to your questions about diabetes. There are hundreds of studies on the causes, treatments, how to test for it, medications, diet and exercise. Health b.c. has information in several languages about it. Actually there are a few rare people born with diabetes, and some who develop it in early to mid childhood. The children very well might have to take medication without understanding what caused their disease, or how the medication works. Many of them do need drugs to stay alive and healthy, and will not get rid of it until they get a pancrease transplant, which doctors are working on that right now to see if it's possible to "get rid" of diabetes without drugs.
People with type 2 diabetes might be able to manage their condition without drugs for some years, but most of them will eventually need medication down the road, along with all the dietary and exercise measures.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 10th, 2023, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 10th, 2023, 10:58 am
Thinktank wrote: Jan 13th, 2017, 7:15 am I just realized something. All those years I spent "learning" about the world, listening to the Peter Mansbridges, the Gloria Macarenkos, the Rick Webbers, the Claudia Ceglarzs, the Mike Robertses, I don't know a thing about diabetes. There's a good reason for that. The news is supposed to keep us dumb, by giving us little fragments of information but never never telling us the whole story because that would take more than thirty seconds. So we all end up, like me, all these years later, not knowing anything about a major disease in Canada that will affect nearly 20% of us. It seems to me when people go to their doctor, they are trusting the doctor to know something about the disease, because they are completely ignorant. That's not good to be ignorant.

But no one is born with diabetes. Zero people on earth are born with diabetes. So what's going on?

What is diabetes?
Why do some people get it and others don't?
Would you have to be completely nuts to start taking medication, without even learning what caused the disease?
And how can you get rid of it without drugs from your doctor, which don't work anyway?

Discuss. In your own words. What do you know about this BIG Canadian problem?
Anyone who can read a book, or go online could find out the answers to your questions about diabetes. There are hundreds of studies on the causes, treatments, how to test for it, medications, diet and exercise. Health b.c. has information in several languages about it. Actually there are a few rare people born with diabetes, and some who develop it in early to mid childhood. The children very well might have to take medication without understanding what caused their disease, or how the medication works. Many of them do need drugs to stay alive and healthy, and will not get rid of it until they get a pancrease transplant, which doctors are working on that right now to see if it's possible to "get rid" of diabetes without drugs.
People with type 2 diabetes might be able to manage their condition without drugs for some years, but most of them will eventually need medication down the road, along with all the dietary and exercise measures.
In some cases it might be so, but to say "get rid" of medication like it is an impossibility is flat out wrong. OK, if the patient follows the treatment the pharmaceutical companies want and anyone involved in the money machine side of maintenance medication then ya, the disease will prevail. I certainly do not believe most of what is on the gov't websites and so forth as honest information if they do not get to the root of the issue for some... yet they are ones trying to denounce other natural treatments as "fringe" or "radical" medicine.

I am not saying there is only one treatment out there, that is stupid to say the least - it's like saying every one has blue eyes and blonde hair... but to downplay the causes of diabetes as something as simple as bad advice from when we were kids like "3 square meals a day", "fat is bad", or worse eat processed foods then those same medical websites are complicit in propagating the disease upon the population.

As long as people think that the disease is unavoidable they will continue doing the very thing that is making them sicker. They just don't know it cause the money goes round and round. Treating the illness and not the cause... Pharmaceutical companies pushing drugs - it's ALL money driven.
Then on the other hand who would think that, in some cases, diabetes could be reversed if you changed some habits and you bought your produce, meats and dairy from real farmers.
Ask yourself which method of treatment makes the least amount of money?

Remember avoid processed food... it's not a cure all, but its a start.

Flour = processed wheat
Sugar = processed perennial grass
Sausage = processed meat
Vegetable oil = processed seeds or plants (oils extracted with volatile solvents)

Then try...
Stevia (in moderation) if you have a sweet tooth.
Real Virgin Olive Oil
Chicken, Beef, & Dairy from local organic farmers (where possible)
More whole fruits & vegetables.
Get to know your body's metabolism for eating times (what suits you to reach your goals) & don't cold turkey your existing treatments if you aren't already doing these things.

I know this brief list is "radical" thinking... it's not "scientific"... I know I'm sorry I am part of that fringe minority.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Sure, bariatric surgery increases the chance of type 2 Diabetes remission: "18 participants (36.0%) had complete remission, 14 (28.0%) had partial remission," if pancreatic cells have not been too damaged, at the end of five years. Long term remission without surgery, is much lower.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Medications most often given to diabetics are not direct treatment as such. The causes of diabetes are not fully understood, but it does have some common and verifiable effects that puts one at risk for other disorders, risks that can be reduced through medicines intended to address those specific risks. Blood pressure medications reduce kidney stress, cholesterol medications reduce heart stress, blood sugar medications address the risks that come from chronically high blood sugar.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Since diabetes (type 2) is more commonly diagnosed in middle aged and older people, I think the larger percentage of our populations living as seniors is a big factor in the increase incidence. Used to be a lot of people didn't make it much past 75 or 80, now they live beyond that, but they might be living with diabetes. A lot of cases were missed back in the day or at least missed for several years. Now people have some ability to delay the worst effects with lifestyle and medication, so result is:more people living with diabetes. (I am not saying this is the only factor, but it is a large factor). We also have larger numbers of people who are of ethnic or genetic backgrounds which have a higher rate of diabetes. Doctors hopefully recognize this and do more early testing so that people can avoid or delay some of the bad outcomes of untreated diabetes.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Well here's a study with a surprising result, comparing two somewhat different intensity exercise programs to no exercise, and the effect on various measures related to Diabetes. No other changes to their regimen.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36622777/
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I wonder why vets would be concerned over a dog food recalled for having too much Vit D in it, when there are "experts" advocating megadoses of Vit D to treat various human conditions (such as diabetes)?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... vitamin-d/

Return to “Health”