New test can detect autism in children, scientists say

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
JennW

Re: New test can detect autism in children, scientists say

Post by JennW »

caffeine wrote:The information in the link referred to a blood test where children with autism had differences in certain markers. They weren't testing the blood of fetuses.

If the test turns out to be reliable, it would definitely be a game changer for the parents and children that need to wait for years on a waitlist to be tested, or who can't afford to pay for the test privately. (In the interior, you can languish on a waitlist, or pay the exact same people privately to have the assessment completed in a few weeks).

How it would be a game changer:
-Quicker access to a diagnosis which helps teachers and parents better understand.
-Quicker access to treatment/ skills training re: social interaction to help with functioning.
-Quicker access to the funding that is available for families and the school.

If it shows up in children it would show up in fetuses... They do screening for things like Down Syndrome already, how long till they screen for autism too?
caffeine
Übergod

Post by caffeine »

JennW wrote:
If it shows up in children it would show up in fetuses... They do screening for things like Down Syndrome already, how long till they screen for autism too?

I see where you are coming from on this, but drawing blood from a fetus is very uncommon.It's a very complicated procedure and carries more risks, and is not a standard screening procedure. If there is an invasive procedure done, it would usually be an amniocentesis to take a sample of amniotic fluid, not blood. This is also not a standard procedure other than for higher risk pregnancies.
JennW

Post by JennW »

caffeine wrote:I see where you are coming from on this, but drawing blood from a fetus is very uncommon.It's a very complicated procedure and carries more risks, and is not a standard screening procedure. If there is an invasive procedure done, it would usually be an amniocentesis to take a sample of amniotic fluid, not blood. This is also not a standard procedure other than for higher risk pregnancies.

You really think they aren't working on that?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

What I like about the " new test is just perhaps folks in more remote locations may be able to have the initial assessment done from blood or urine tests. I'd like to think this would not require a many hour drive to a location where assessment professionals have decided to set up shop. ( after a many year wait!)
I am not wealthy but I am rich
caffeine
Übergod

Post by caffeine »

JennW wrote:
You really think they aren't working on that?

I don't know if they are working on it. I am only responding to the actual information in the article. What you are talking about is a broader ethical discussion about screening tests during pregnancy. A simple blood test for actual, living children is a different thing, and in the case of autism the sooner interventions can take place, and the sooner adults in the child's world have a full understanding, the better for the child.
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

Bsuds wrote:Now if they can find a cure.

Now if only they can find a cure for blondness.
I'd like to thank God for making me an atheist.
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

JennW wrote:If it shows up in children it would show up in fetuses... They do screening for things like Down Syndrome already, how long till they screen for autism too?

The fact that you link autism and down syndrome as comparable shows how little you know of what you are talking about.

That's like saying we have a test that detects oranges, so we should be able to build a submarine.

Utterly unrelated.
JennW

Post by JennW »

OllyV wrote:The fact that you link autism and down syndrome as comparable shows how little you know of what you are talking about.

That's like saying we have a test that detects oranges, so we should be able to build a submarine.

Utterly unrelated.

You really don't think people who are so afraid of their children having autism that they are willing to forego vaccinating their children wouldn't screen for it once this kind of test confirmed it was genetic and could be screened for?
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

JennW wrote:
OllyV wrote:The fact that you link autism and down syndrome as comparable shows how little you know of what you are talking about.

Utterly unrelated.

You really don't think people who are so afraid of their children having autism that they are willing to forego vaccinating their children wouldn't screen for it once this kind of test confirmed it was genetic and could be screened for?

No I don't.

If you are enough of an idiot not to vaccinate your child for fear of autism, that means you do not accept science as evidence. Since the link between autism and vaccinations has been very publicly and thoroughly debunked and is perpetuated on a well known fraud.

So no, I don't believe their cognitive skills are up to the task of making a thoughtful, well researched decision. They are willing to put their children at certain risk to prevent them from, even if it was true, a very remote risk. Those folks don't do the math.

Further more, even if they do decide to accept the science that screens for autism, then what?

Do they choose to abort the fetus due to the possibility of autism occurring? Should Steven Jobs parents have done that? Tim Burton's? Dan Aykroyd's? Temple Grandin's? Bill Gates? Anthony Hopkins? Jerry Seinfeld? Albert Einstein? The list is vast and diverse. And for most of them it is their place on the spectrum that set them apart and made them exceptional.

You should watch Temple Grandin's Ted talk. Particularly the Q&A at the end. She lays it out beautifully.

Autism doesn't need screening, prevention or a cure. It needs understanding from so called normals.
JennW

Post by JennW »

OllyV wrote:No I don't.

If you are enough of an idiot not to vaccinate your child for fear of autism, that means you do not accept science as evidence. Since the link between autism and vaccinations has been very publicly and thoroughly debunked and is perpetuated on a well known fraud.

So no, I don't believe their cognitive skills are up to the task of making a thoughtful, well researched decision. They are willing to put their children at certain risk to prevent them from, even if it was true, a very remote risk. Those folks don't do the math.

Further more, even if they do decide to accept the science that screens for autism, then what?

Do they choose to abort the fetus due to the possibility of autism occurring? Should Steven Jobs parents have done that? Tim Burton's? Dan Aykroyd's? Temple Grandin's? Bill Gates? Anthony Hopkins? Jerry Seinfeld? Albert Einstein? The list is vast and diverse. And for most of them it is their place on the spectrum that set them apart and made them exceptional.

You should watch Temple Grandin's Ted talk. Particularly the Q&A at the end. She lays it out beautifully.

Autism doesn't need screening, prevention or a cure. It needs understanding from so called normals.

You are preaching to the choir here! I like existing, thank you very much!

Return to “Health”