Shingles vaccine

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Shingles vaccine

Post by normaM »

Has anyone had it, did it hurt? I heard there are some nasty side effects so just checking it out before I get it.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Shingles vaccine

Post by GordonH »

Fortunately I never had chickenpox (I just have to keep my vaccine shot updated).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

normaM wrote:Has anyone had it, did it hurt? I heard there are some nasty side effects so just checking it out before I get it.

I got one several years ago, didn't hurt, no side affects. My wife got one a year ago, same.

What did hurt was the price.

Costco is the best price I've found. (sadly I found that out after my wife and I got ours)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

I had the vaccine and unfortunately I had a bad reaction to it.My arm swelled and got red and painful. Aside from my case I think it would be worth your while to get it as I have had family members get shingles and you don't want to go through that.They suffered a lot from it.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Is this the newest Shingles vaccine? What was the cost?
My family doctor said that the previous one wasn't worth getting, but the newest one is supposed to be much more effective.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Shingrix is the 2nd vaccine to be approved. It's administered in 2 doses (4-6 months apart) and costs $141.50 for each shot. The original vaccine is Zostavax which is administered in 1 dose and costs $200.00.

“This looks to be a vaccine that will provide substantially long, persistent protection,” says William Schaffner, M.D., a consultant to the ACIP and a professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tenn. “The body responds to Shingrix much more strongly, compared to Zostavax.”

Marvin M. Lipman, M.D., Consumer Reports’ chief medical adviser, notes, “Shingrix should replace Zostavax because the benefit/risk ratio, at the present time, strongly favors Shingrix.”

https://www.consumerreports.org/shingle ... ould-know/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Thats the one I would get, you get it in two stages. Those ads on TV totally freak me out... I am pretty sure I had chicken pox and now every itch I think Shingles!
According to Blue Cross they cover 80% if you have Plan B and a Drs script.
Pharmasave was less than Shoppers who also charge a fee for the injection. The Ads have done their job, at least on me.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i had the shingles in my twenties ,lower back -not fun--lower back nerve pain was pretty bad for about 6 months
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GO4it

Post by GO4it »

I had the Zostafax vaccine. It didn't bother me but 4 years later I did get Shingles, luckily it wasn't a bad case, probably because of the vaccine. I started taking Valacyovir right away and it cleared up fast. The new vaccine is supposed to be better.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Wish these drugs to prevent disease came with good side effects " got the shingles vaccine and now I;m so sexy"
I should speak to the manufacturer :)
Thanks for the input everyone
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

normaM wrote:Thats the one I would get, you get it in two stages. Those ads on TV totally freak me out... I am pretty sure I had chicken pox and now every itch I think Shingles!
According to Blue Cross they cover 80% if you have Plan B and a Drs script.
Pharmasave was less than Shoppers who also charge a fee for the injection. The Ads have done their job, at least on me.

That's a surprise that Blue Cross cover 80%, my insurance Manulife zero.

I note that Zostafax is discontined, they now have Zostafax II, I have no idea if that is any good.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Altho I called Blue Cross and they told me I won't get the vaccine til the druggist clears it. He said yo make sure I had a Drs script.. maybe that makes a difference?
True me the Plan pays for little.. including the cost of crowns
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

normaM wrote:Altho I called Blue Cross and they told me I won't get the vaccine til the druggist clears it. He said yo make sure I had a Drs script.. maybe that makes a difference?

Manulife expressly states they won't pay for vaccinations, doctor's prescription or not.

Granted it depends on plans, not just companies. If they'll pay 80%, great !

From what I,ve read I guess I'm looking at getting another. Ouch ! (Not the needle, the wallet)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

normaM wrote:Altho I called Blue Cross and they told me I won't get the vaccine til the druggist clears it. He said yo make sure I had a Drs script.. maybe that makes a difference?

Having said Manulife wouldn't pay for something. As for dental a few years ago, a tooth that had a root canal and crown began hurting. Turned out it had a cracked root (common for old root canals). My option was a missing molar, a bridge or an implant.

Manulife, at least at that time, I don't know now, wouldn't pay for an implant.

I opted for the implant, and Manulife, without fuss said they'd reimburse me for the amount they would have paid for the bridge. I thought that was very good of them.

In many cases, people pay for additional medical insurance through one of these insurance companies. In my case, before retirement I worked for a large corporation and actually Manulife is really only the "gate keeper". They approve, mitigate or deny claims, the actual payment for the service or medication comes directly from my employer. I guess when you're a billion dollar corporation that's cheaper than paying insurance premiums for your retired employees.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have Manulife through my employer (retired) and they have always been a PIA! (Big Time)
If it were my choice I would go anywhere else for my coverage.
When we had to mail in the receipts for payment they would lose them almost every time so I started sending them with a signature required on delivery and always kept copies of everything.
With all their screwing around it could take months to get my money back.

I have no confidence in them at all to do anything right.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Health”