Prescription Glasses

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Prescription Glasses

Post by Bsuds »

My wife and I went for our eye checkups a couple of weeks ago and got new prescriptions.
She ordered new glasses from a local store and is very happy with them. She got them yesterday. Cost just under $400.00

Just for fun I ordered mine from China and they arrived today. Cost just under $20.00

Hers are progressive and mine are just for driving and I do not need mine all the time and only wear them when my eyes are tired from too much time on the computer.

Yes the quality of hers is much better than mine but for the limited amount I will use them I am very happy with my purchase and the prescription is dead on. Also I got mine just as fast as she got hers!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Prescription Glasses

Post by GordonH »

My concern with ordering online is any possible adjustments needed, I have astigmatism.
Sending them back & forth would be a huge pain in the as :cuss:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:My wife and I went for our eye checkups a couple of weeks ago and got new prescriptions.
She ordered new glasses from a local store and is very happy with them. She got them yesterday. Cost just under $400.00

Just for fun I ordered mine from China and they arrived today. Cost just under $20.00

Hers are progressive and mine are just for driving and I do not need mine all the time and only wear them when my eyes are tired from too much time on the computer.

Yes the quality of hers is much better than mine but for the limited amount I will use them I am very happy with my purchase and the prescription is dead on. Also I got mine just as fast as she got hers!

Let's look at this from a different angle, Sudsy.

You don't need better quality glasses because, if your wife goes out of your focal length, you just have to sit down and look comfortable, and she will come back and find you.

Your wife appreciates quality, you got her fooled. :up: Your choice in women, far exceeds her's in men.

You don't need long range vision because, your best driver shot rarely exceeds 200 feet, and if it does, the other 3 in your 4 some giggles and tells you where your ball went.

This is about the only time that you can boast that she got hers as quickly as you got yours.

Enjoy your new outlook on life.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Bsuds wrote:My wife and I went for our eye checkups a couple of weeks ago and got new prescriptions.

My vision changed again. which I expected. I don't need progressive lenses. yet.... The eye dr wanted to charge me almost 450 for frames and lenses. (they would be coke bottles if I didn't pay for thinner lenses) I wear glasses first thing in the am and at night only. I ordered from Clearly and got them (shipping included) for 75 bucks!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Triple 6 wrote:My vision changed again. which I expected. I don't need progressive lenses. yet.... The eye dr wanted to charge me almost 450 for frames and lenses. (they would be coke bottles if I didn't pay for thinner lenses) I wear glasses first thing in the am and at night only. I ordered from Clearly and got them (shipping included) for 75 bucks!

Now that is good news. I won't buy glasses until my Dr. requires them for driving. I have faked my way through for over 10 years. I have no problem driving, everyone gets out of my way just fine.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Good to know as I am on the search. ^^^^
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Catsumi wrote:Good to know as I am on the search. ^^^^

free returns too!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Triple 6 wrote:My vision changed again. which I expected. I don't need progressive lenses. yet.... The eye dr wanted to charge me almost 450 for frames and lenses. (they would be coke bottles if I didn't pay for thinner lenses) I wear glasses first thing in the am and at night only. I ordered from Clearly and got them (shipping included) for 75 bucks!

Eye exam plus ocular and retina scan today - no real change so no need to get new glasses. Last time I got the B1G1 from Clearly - one set was straight reading glasses and the other was for long distance - TV, etc. Cost was $220 for 4 pairs with thin lenses, non-scratch coating, and anti-glare.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Been using clearly for a decade now. Always great quality. It's more expensive than China of course, but I do wear them all the time. Try to find some coupons online, last time I scored 2 for 1 deal on already discounted frames and got 2 pairs for less than $100.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I tried Clearly but was not impressed with the quality. I have a very strong prescription and astigmatism in both eyes. I always go with Costco now. The prices are reasonable, my last pair was about $160 with hi index lenses and the service is great. And I can try the frames on in store to see if I like how they look and feel.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

JLives wrote:I tried Clearly but was not impressed with the quality. I have a very strong prescription and astigmatism in both eyes. I always go with Costco now. The prices are reasonable, my last pair was about $160 with hi index lenses and the service is great. And I can try the frames on in store to see if I like how they look and feel.

My DW has had no luck with Costco. They just can't seem to get it right. The new ones from Nuvue she say's are perfect first time.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I've bought several pairs of glasses including progressives from Clearly.ca and most recently Goggles4U. Couldn't be happier to spend between $45 and $120 for a pair of progressives compared to $500+ at an optical store.
sarah c

Post by sarah c »

really helpful .great thanks for the valuble informations
Last edited by sarah c on Jun 18th, 2021, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I got a pair of prescription sunglasses the other day. Really helpful when I'm cycling or just outside on a sunny day.

Very stylish Raybans with prescription tinted lenses. Now I can look good AND see things :)
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I have had perscribion sunglasses for 6 or 7 years now.
Definitely worth it.
I had the lenses cut to fit antique frames, very much like John Lennon's glasses except his are round and mine are a little ovaled.

As for cheap glasses vs expensive.
I honestly feel a $20. Pair of Chinese glasses will irrigate your eyes more than a pair of $500 Zeiss lenses.
You would probably never notice the difference over a couple hours, but you may over a long day. If you need them for night driving the quality difference would be more noticeable.

Please take note, I am not saying you should spend the extra $ or save your money.
Just saying it's something to consider while shopping for glasses.

Return to “Health”