Depression and other mental illness

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
1791
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2289
Joined: Jul 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by 1791 »

No one should have to open up. When your in trouble your alone. Always been that way. People need to stop looking for the quick fix.

If you are depressed there is lots to do. Work out. Get lots of sun. Get sleep. Do things you enjoy. Force yourself to be part of the world. Spend time with happy people. Be positive. If none of this works. Try a change of career or change the town you call home. The point is. Take it upon yourself to make life better. Only you can make yourself happy or unhappy
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by stuphoto »

Thank you for your posts here everyone.
I do respect you all, even if I don't necessarily agree with everything you say.
I do believe it's a tough subject, and I don't think anyone has all the answers.

I started this thread for everyone to have a voice, and if someone thinks they need some help I hope you feel free to ask for it here.
We may not be able to do much but sometimes just venting may help.

I could not imagine suffering in silence. Having no where to go or anyone to even talk to.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3339
Joined: Sep 30th, 2009, 10:06 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by whatwhat »

1791 wrote:No one should have to open up. When your in trouble your alone. Always been that way. People need to stop looking for the quick fix.

If you are depressed there is lots to do. Work out. Get lots of sun. Get sleep. Do things you enjoy. Force yourself to be part of the world. Spend time with happy people. Be positive. If none of this works. Try a change of career or change the town you call home. The point is. Take it upon yourself to make life better. Only you can make yourself happy or unhappy

Depression is a serious mental illness, something that people who suffer know all too well. While some may just think of depression as being sad, it is and can be a lot more than just sadness.

Lack of motivation/energy, psychomotor impairment, body aches/pains, insomnia/hypersomnia, weight loss or gain, concentration issues, loss of interest in activities are all symptoms of depression. Which can make it very difficult to force yourself to work out, "be positive", make huge and major life changes (like change your career or town).

Despite this post (which should be used as a great example of mental illness stigmatism btw), people do truly care and want to help. Reach out to a love one, a close friend, professional help. Don't listen to negative people on the internet who re-enforce past MH stigma's that you have to suffer alone.

As this poster stated, "it's always been this way", but times are a changin. Mental health is becoming more widely known, and people are fighting to reduce and change the stigma's attached. More services are becoming available. Obviously the work is not finished, but I believe we have come along way!
hail Satan y'all
W105
Guru
Posts: 7827
Joined: Apr 20th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by W105 »

what you just described whatwhat is also exactly what it feels like when a person goes thru menopause...I said person because I believe men go thru menopause after a certain age too..

hormonal changes can be brutal for some people..
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by stuphoto »

This story may interest some people about a Kelowna ladies journey through depression.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... abbit-Hole
Yes its a book but I think it may be of value to some people.

Plus a link to a song that helped me through some tough times in the late 80' and early 90's
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDh6gyMJBU

A story about the singer.
http://www.nationnewsarchives.ca/articl ... -aglukark/
whatwhat
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3339
Joined: Sep 30th, 2009, 10:06 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by whatwhat »

W105 wrote:what you just described whatwhat is also exactly what it feels like when a person goes thru menopause...I said person because I believe men go thru menopause after a certain age too..

hormonal changes can be brutal for some people..


Definitely! That's why it is important to seek out help and speak to a professional so you can try and figure out the source to the symptoms.

About 10-15 years ago, my mom went to the doctor because she was suffering all the same physical symptoms. The doctor suggested she may be suffering from depression, but my mom reported she didn't feel sad (even though she was going through a lot of stressful changes in her life). She started anti-depressive medication, and her life improved. She has been on and off them through out the years. It is interesting though, as she is also going through menopause, so wonder if there is some connection there!
hail Satan y'all
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21643
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by flamingfingers »

Why is no one advocating people with depression or other mental issues seek the help of a psychiatrist? Having worked for one for many years and having seen first hand the incredible results that obtained, I sincerely wonder why more people do not use this resource.

You don't need to be crazy to see a psychiatrist. In fact, in some cases, you are crazy NOT to!!!

ETA:
A psychiatrist is a fully qualified MD who can determine any underlying physical problems that may contribute to your issues and can prescribe medications or refer you to any specialist for further opinions, etc. Psychiatric services are fully covered by your medical plan. They can help.
Chill
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by stuphoto »

I was seeing a Counselor, and took group therapy because that is who my family doctor referred me to.
It was very helpful.
I know that she doesn't consider herself as a psychiatrist, and I don't know what the difference is.

I will probably be going back for more sessions soon and do highly recommend it.
Even Steven
Guru
Posts: 6337
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by Even Steven »

stuphoto wrote:I know that she doesn't consider herself as a psychiatrist, and I don't know what the difference is.


Psychiatrists are medical doctors that studied at accredited university, are able to prescribe drugs, and regarded as actual doctors who actually deal with how brains work including chemical imbalances and clinical issues. Therapists/counsellors can be trained just about anywhere including online, can't prescribe drugs, and can't help with clinical issues.

I'm not saying therapists are useless, but I would say if issues are severe to the point of needing drugs, they are quite limited at how much help they can provide. Think surgeons vs. massage therapists.
1791
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2289
Joined: Jul 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by 1791 »

flamingfingers wrote:Why is no one advocating people with depression or other mental issues seek the help of a psychiatrist? Having worked for one for many years and having seen first hand the incredible results that obtained, I sincerely wonder why more people do not use this resource.

You don't need to be crazy to see a psychiatrist. In fact, in some cases, you are crazy NOT to!!!

ETA:
A psychiatrist is a fully qualified MD who can determine any underlying physical problems that may contribute to your issues and can prescribe medications or refer you to any specialist for further opinions, etc. Psychiatric services are fully covered by your medical plan. They can help.




They are not doctors. Zero science in Psych just unproven theories. A high fatality rate. Bogus meds.
1791
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2289
Joined: Jul 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by 1791 »

They were considered quacks up untill about 40 or 50 years ago. Then there was a big push to get them called doctors. It was done so they could pump out more meds
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 32587
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by GordonH »

1791 wrote:They were considered quacks up untill about 40 or 50 years ago. Then there was a big push to get them called doctors. It was done so they could pump out more meds


2 group that deal with the brain & mental illnesses.

1) PhD = Psychiatrist
2) PsyD = Psychologist
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51213
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by Bsuds »

1791 wrote:They are not doctors. Zero science in Psych just unproven theories. A high fatality rate. Bogus meds.


You are wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatrist
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21643
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Correct!! You cannot become a psychiatrist in Canada without first being a fully qualified and credentialed physician (doctor).

How to Become a Psychiatrist in Canada
Joy Kimber - Updated June 25, 2018

Those who are interested in practicing psychiatry in Canada must start planning their career early on, and many begin this process while still in high school. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has chosen to specialize in the treatment of mental disorders and requires around 12 years of post-secondary education. According to the Canadian Psychiatric Association, for an individual to practice psychiatry in Canada, they "must have a degree in medicine, a license to practise [sic] medicine in their province and specialist certification in psychiatry by either the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or a provincial college." Approximately 12 years of post-secondary education are needed to become a psychiatrist.


more: https://www.theclassroom.com/become-psy ... -2773.html
Chill
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by stuphoto »

I would assume that even after all that training most psychiatrists still choose to further their careers by attending regular training courses and workshops throughout their career.

Return to “Health”