Chiropractors

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
smoky500
Fledgling

Chiropractors

Post by smoky500 »

I have been to chiropractors in the past, had a few treatments and felt good. Just paid for each visit as I went. Went to a different one and they want me to sign a contract, come in for many visits (three times a week for five weeks) and more beyond that and they want me to pre pay, $4000! Anybody ever hear of this. Sounds excessive to me.
SuperMom
Fledgling

Re: Chiropractors

Post by SuperMom »

That's not how my chiropractor operates, but that scenario gives me vibes of "old school" chiropractors who tell you that you need to see them multiple times a week for several weeks or months in order to "fix" the problem. My chiropractor is nothing like that and works with me so that I don't need to see him very often. I rarely get an actual adjustment from him, but he has plenty of tools in his box to keep me healthy and moving.
Jonrox
Guru

Post by Jonrox »

Chiropractors scare me... I prefer physiotherapy.

That doesn't sound like a plan that a legitimate health practitioner of any kind would or should operate. If they're good at what they're doing and you feel better before the end of treatment, will they refund you for sessions not used? Likely not. It's like they somehow know what they're doing won't help you and are trying to lock you in long-term.

A girl I went to high school with was killed during a chiropractic neck adjustment and I've been scared of them ever since. I know it's anecdotal evidence and is not the norm, but it rattled me when it hit so close to home so I prefer to stick with physio.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

smoky500 wrote:I have been to chiropractors in the past, had a few treatments and felt good. Just paid for each visit as I went. Went to a different one and they want me to sign a contract, come in for many visits (three times a week for five weeks) and more beyond that and they want me to pre pay, $4000! Anybody ever hear of this. Sounds excessive to me.

I have heard of this and if someone presented me with that concept they would never get a dime of my business
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The potential dangers of neck manipulation & risk for dissection and devastating stroke: An illustrative case & review of the literature

Chiropractic cervical manipulation is a common practice utilized around the world. Most patients are never cleared medically for manipulation, which can be devastating for those few who are at increased risk for dissections. The high velocity thrust used in cervical manipulation can produce significant strain on carotid and vertebral vessels. Once a dissection has occurred, the risk of thrombus formation, ischemic stroke, paralysis, and even death is drastically increased. In this case report, we highlight a case of a 32-year-old woman who underwent chiropractic manipulation and had vertebral artery dissection with subsequent brainstem infarct. She quickly deteriorated and passed away shortly after arrival to the hospital. Although rare, one in 48 chiropractors have experienced such an event.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6016850/
Chill
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Jonrox wrote:Chiropractors scare me... I prefer physiotherapy.

That doesn't sound like a plan that a legitimate health practitioner of any kind would or should operate. If they're good at what they're doing and you feel better before the end of treatment, will they refund you for sessions not used? Likely not. It's like they somehow know what they're doing won't help you and are trying to lock you in long-term.

A girl I went to high school with was killed during a chiropractic neck adjustment and I've been scared of them ever since. I know it's anecdotal evidence and is not the norm, but it rattled me when it hit so close to home so I prefer to stick with physio.

Interesting, my experience with physio is nothing more than heat, cold and some machines that make you twitch....lol. Don’t use them often, but a good chiropractor has “saved” me many times.

Return to “Health”