Fledgling

Re: Alzheimers is a horrible disease.

Post by seahawks2884 »

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's been speculated for quite some time but nothing conclusive yet:

"While these observations are interesting and warrant further research, there is currently insufficient evidence to tell us that microbes are responsible for causing Alzheimer’s disease in the vast majority of cases," said James Pickett, head of research at the UK Alzheimer’s Society. "We would like to reassure people that there remains no convincing evidence that Alzheimer’s disease is contagious or can be passed from person to person like a virus."
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Sofia Reid

Post by Sofia Reid »

Of course, people with Alzheimer's disease are unexpected. But what about medical or alternative treatment? Ideas?
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

My husband was diagnosed at age 59 with early onset that was 5 years ago. So far it's his short term memory that has gotten worse, with some mood swings. He gets very sullen and moody, crying at times. As for the post on what and what not to do. It is very difficult to stick to that info at times. As a Caregiver you get stressed and frustrated to the point of tears. You do forget to keep to the divert and don't argue. There are times you forget the person has it as they can act quite normal in front of some people and other times they act like they are on an different planet. It can be familial, his mom had it, his uncle and now he does. The gene they say for that comes down on the mothers side and can be passed along. If anyone wants some good support and information there are groups out there for those with AD and for caregivers. Contact the Alzheimer Society on Richter and they can also steer you to community programs and help with respite and Interior Health. This isn't an easy disease, and I know I'm in for a long rough ride. Hard to watch someone who was so adept at something struggle with using a simple wrench, or trying to explain to them they have already watched that TV show today 3 times over on different stations. Yet they can live in the past and talk about friends by name, but can't remember who they just talked to on the phone.

I dread the day when I have to put him in a care facility. Right now we are making the best of life as we can, getting out and traveling (though he forgets where he has been).

As for drugs they can give anti-psychotic ones, but the usual drugs are Aricept & Memantin, anti-depressants (they do get depressed with this). As for alternative, they say fish oils, turmeric, and DHA's seem to help short term.
We are doing the turmeric and DHA right now. See what happens as he plateau's then drops and goes for a long time at a level then drops and on and on.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

My heart goes out to you. If you would like to chat further with someone that has gone through what you are about to. Feel free to contact me via PM.
There are soooo many issues that need to be taken care of before it is too late.
Like getting a MMSE. This can be very difficult without their co-operation.
Bring back the LIKE button.
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

Alan We have all our legal documents done, Will, Medical Representation (there are 2 of them and people should know which is which), Power of Attorney final wishes as to funeral. He has made his wishes known verbally to everyone also.That way no one can say he didn't say this or that. Thank you for the offer, so kind. I belong to a support group and just that 1 1/2 hours makes you feel you are not alone in this battle. We have a great family doctor who talks to me whenever I go in on it, to make sure he and I are both doing well.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Even though he has expressed his wishes both verbally and in written form (Will), it all can be contested in probate court.

If siblings can not agree in the future about care, the Public Guardian will become involved, and they really screw things up royally.

Contact me via PM, this open forum is not the place to discuss these matters.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Post by Jlabute »

My mom has ‘mixed dementia’ as did her two other sisters. The sons in the family were not affected, as it is hereditary to a degree. There are multiple conditions that cause memory loss including vascular constriction, plaque, etc, and my mom has multiple. It has affected my mom’s marriage. It changed her personality. Her short term memory has mostly disappeared while the long term memories have held on a little better. You really have to live in their world and cause as little stress as possible. Moving from independent living into residential care was stressful for her and I noticed it caused some decline. During her day to move to a new facility, my sister took her to the kangaroo farm while I moved all her clothes and furniture and made the new suite look as much as home as possible. After a few weeks her old home was forgotten but a physical effect remained.
Measure what can be measured, and make measurable what cannot be measured.

Return to “Health”