Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Barstool08

Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

Post by Barstool08 »

I have had a bad meniscus tear, verified with MRI and a recommendation for surgery.

Have you had arthroscopic knee surgery? Would you recommend it?

I have been reading negatives and positives to this surgery.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

Post by dirtybiker »

I'm sure they have an updated method from when I had my
knee done 35 or so years ago.

99.5 % success.

I've not had any real issues with that knee since.

Put one in the 'pros' column.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I've had three scopes on my right knee … all were done to trim tears and clean it out. Best thing I've ever done. Procedures were not painful at all. I actually watched the doctor perform the third one. Very cool.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^ I've had both knees scoped. Three very small incisions after localized freezing. one hole for saline to create a bit more room in there, one for the camera and one was for the instrument itself. Like Southy I had an epidural in the spine and was awake for both. Fascinating. The rt knee had cartilage breaking down and in the saline it looked like an underwater experience watching anemones and their tentacles.
Left knee has to be replace at some point....

Where are you getting it done? Evidently some surgeons are better than others, but all I think are capable.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Barstool08

Post by Barstool08 »

I'm getting it done in Kelowna. I don't think I should name the surgeon on here, I wouldn't know how to get a different one even if I wanted to.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Like seewood, I had a spinal and watched the entire procedure. As he said it was interesting.

The problem with that is the time it takes to get feeling back into your lower extremities is longer than the recovery from being put out. ie I didn't get to go home til much later in the day, waiting for feeling to come back.

Like many I was under the impression that there would be some pain following the operation, but really no big deal.

That night, it was a whole new experience in pain. The surgeon later admitted that he took a lot out and likely the reason.

All I got was T3's, and they did very little.

I was on crutches for I think a week, although the operation helped the knee it is still pretty well shot, it took about a year for me to get as good as I was going to get. It's still "my bad knee".

Seems there is a series of procedures for knees. Pysio, scans, then cortisone shots (they are "fun" especially when they drain the knee first), then scoping, then they want to try some type of lubricant (haven't tried that and am told it's useless), then knee replacement.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Barstool08 wrote:I have had a bad meniscus tear, verified with MRI and a recommendation for surgery.

Have you had arthroscopic knee surgery? Would you recommend it?

I have been reading negatives and positives to this surgery.

i have had two done, glad i did, very little down time, very little pain, on top of the fact that i took no pain killers
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've a meniscus tear so I'm curious if you had the same knee done twice. Nervous about surgeries so always glad to hear good outcomes.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:I've a meniscus tear so I'm curious if you had the same knee done twice. Nervous about surgeries so always glad to hear good outcomes.

i can only speak for me, same knee twice,on a scale of 1 to 10 -10 being super painful i will give it a 2 and that is without pain meds , but then again i have a high pain tolerance i had to get the knee cleaned up as it was locking --not fun-

i had dr boyce, crappy bed side manner, but did a good job on my knee imo
Last edited by the truth on Jan 26th, 2020, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thanks for sharing. I'm babying my knee but I'm finding other joints are taking a toll so thanks for your input.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

to be honest the biggest pain for me was staying off my feet for a few days with ice and leg elevated as much as possible
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:to be honest the biggest pain for me was staying off my feet for a few days with ice and leg elevated as much as possible

That I can understand. Family can be there to help but having to stay put probably was harder to deal with than the pain. But now you’re good!! OP will appreciate hearing that too.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

unless something goes wrong :200: , it was no big deal ,easier than a dentist appt. imo
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

the truth wrote:unless something goes wrong :200: , it was no big deal ,easier than a dentist appt. imo

All depends

I expected something in the order of what you indicated. That wasn't the case for me. Most will be as you experienced, but some won't. Someone getting the surgery should be aware what could happen.

The meds I was prescribed (T3's) were consistent with the expected results that you experienced, thus they didn't do much. I toughed it out, but it certainly wasn't, for me, easier than a dentist appointment.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:unless something goes wrong :200: , it was no big deal ,easier than a dentist appt. imo

If you find it easier than a dental appointment then I'm good to go :D (I trust your opinion in this)

Return to “Health”