IH no longer doing 2020/21 and beyond Flu Shot Immunizations

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
coffeeFreak
Guru

IH no longer doing 2020/21 and beyond Flu Shot Immunizations

Post by coffeeFreak »

This letter was posted in the Coronavirus Okanagan Updates & Community Support Facebook Page by one of our local doctors who runs the group. The announcement is quite surprising and concerning to many people, and from the discussion on FB, it sounds like this service will not be provided to senior's facilities and shut-ins. Talk about a huge downloading of responsibility to the community healthcare providers.

**And please, don't make this an antivax conversation.

interior health flu shot.jpg
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: IH no longer doing 2020/21 and beyond Flu Shot Immunizat

Post by ckil »

What is the big deal? They are moving it to over the counter.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

ckil wrote:What is the big deal? They are moving it to over the counter.

No, they are expecting doctors and pharmacists to provide the service. Only certain healthcare providers are "allowed" to administer needles. And who will provide immunizations to seniors in facilities or who are housebound?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Everyone I know who gets their flu shot has been getting via their pharmacist last number of years.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Interior Health says no Flu Shot Clinics.

Post by I Think »

This is going to be a disaster, if you have to go to your doctor, or a pharmacy to get a flu shot, thousands of people will not get one.
In many cases the clinics save a 30 or 40 K round trip, to get the shot.
On a side note a new study shows that seniors who get flu shots reduce the incidence of Alzheimer disease significantly.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/health/f ... index.html
We're lost but we're making good time.
typhoon44
Übergod

Re: Interior Health says no Flu Shot Clinics.

Post by typhoon44 »

Ya, they need to implement a drive-up flu shot clinic.
That being said if our experience is anything like the southern hemisphere, the Covid-19 distancing and hand washing should massively reduce the incidence of flu here.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Interior Health says no Flu Shot Clinics.

Post by oneh2obabe »

Being discussed in thread started yesterday https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=85910
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Some localities which do not have doctors or pharmacies will necessitate a bus or car trip to get shots, it means that many will not get them.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I Think wrote:Some localities which do not have doctors or pharmacies will necessitate a bus or car trip to get shots, it means that many will not get them.

Would those not be used to travelling to get these services already?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The government is willing to put how many $$$ into a SIS on wheels for the safety of the druggies, but they can't come up with $1 for a traveling flu shot van???

What is wrong with this picture?
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I Think wrote:Some localities which do not have doctors or pharmacies will necessitate a bus or car trip to get shots, it means that many will not get them.

How did shut-ins get there flu shot last year.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

The concern isn't around "Poor healthcare workers need to go to the pharmacy now".

The concern is that we'll see a significant drop in immunized healthcare workers. There was no excuse when all you had to do was mark the day on your calendar and wander over to the clinic before/after your shift or during a break. Many will choose to skip the shot vs the hassle of going to see their doctor/pharmacist.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

TylerM4 wrote:The concern isn't around "Poor healthcare workers need to go to the pharmacy now".

The concern is that we'll see a significant drop in immunized healthcare workers. There was no excuse when all you had to do was mark the day on your calendar and wander over to the clinic before/after your shift or during a break. Many will choose to skip the shot vs the hassle of going to see their doctor/pharmacist.

Isn’t there a pharmacy on first floor between main door & bistro/cafe next to courtyard.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

The nearest pharmacy is 25 kilometers (50 round trip)
I could walk to the flu shot clinic.
Some of my neighbors will be skipping it.

Further:
Not only does getting a shot reduce your chances of coming down with a nasty infection, but getting vaccinated may also reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer's disease in the future, according to two separate abstracts presented at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference on Monday.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I Think wrote:The nearest pharmacy is 25 kilometers (50 round trip)
I could walk to the flu shot clinic.
Some of my neighbors will be skipping it.

Further:
Not only does getting a shot reduce your chances of coming down with a nasty infection, but getting vaccinated may also reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer's disease in the future, according to two separate abstracts presented at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference on Monday.

So how far did you have to go to get last years shot.

Return to “Health”