Call to delay vax passports

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Delphi
Fledgling

Call to delay vax passports

Post by Delphi »

I think the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce came out with a reasonable statement on this. It shows that a moderate majority (57%) of their businesses polled agreed with a vax passport but a significant minority (36%) were strongly opposed.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... rts#343869

Tha chamber is asking for alternatives to a vaccine passport like a rapid covid test or proof of negative test. I am shocked that the province did not provide alternatives like this to start with. I think they really need to since without the ability to prove that you do not have covid it is just a punitive policy against people who are not vaccinated. I think the province is really doing this as a way to 'encourage' people to get vaccinated rather than protecting the health of people. However, most people seem to think this is about keeping people safe so by that logic, there should be no problem allowing people to enter an establishment if they can prove that they do not have covid with a negative covid test or taking a rapid covid test on site.

I also really liked the request to have a built in end date for the passports that in order to extend would have to be voted on and approved. That would alleviate a fear I have of this thing being easily and endlessly extended and then expanded.

I'm curious to hear what other people think about this.
spooker

Re: call to delay vax passports

Post by spooker »

Sure, let's provide more ways for unscrupulous people to find a way to falsify documentation ... that's the downside I see in having more than one way to prove you can enter an establishment ... beyond the complication caused by the gate keepers to keep up with what would be valid or not (i.e. acceptable testing methods) ...

My whole career has been spent trying to adhere to the KISS principle ... when you complicate things needlessly (or for political reasons) it just wastes time and resources ...

The Chamber already has a majority for it ... isn't that what people always clamor for?
firsttimecaller
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by firsttimecaller »

I think the Chamber is trying to be reasonable with their approach. They have offered solutions that will maximize their potential customer base, rather than shut out a large percentage of potential customers. Their solution has no downside for those ultra pro-vax people worried about getting COVID or the dreaded un-vaxxed spreading it.

That said the powers that be in this province will have none of it. They aren't interested in a sensible approach. They want vaccines in everyone at all costs. The vaccine passports aren't about keeping people safe, the passports are purely a punitive measure being taken to try and punish those who have decided that it is best for themselves not to get this particular vaccine.
firsttimecaller
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by firsttimecaller »

spooker wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 10:21 am Sure, let's provide more ways for unscrupulous people to find a way to falsify documentation ... that's the downside I see in having more than one way to prove you can enter an establishment ... beyond the complication caused by the gate keepers to keep up with what would be valid or not (i.e. acceptable testing methods) ...

My whole career has been spent trying to adhere to the KISS principle ... when you complicate things needlessly (or for political reasons) it just wastes time and resources ...

The Chamber already has a majority for it ... isn't that what people always clamor for?
People are going to falsify vaccine passports anyway.
sneil

Re: Call to delay vax passports

Post by sneil »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 25th, 2021, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cross posting
spooker

Post by spooker »

firsttimecaller wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 10:25 am I think the Chamber is trying to be reasonable with their approach. They have offered solutions that will maximize their potential customer base, rather than shut out a large percentage of potential customers. Their solution has no downside for those ultra pro-vax people worried about getting COVID or the dreaded un-vaxxed spreading it.

That said the powers that be in this province will have none of it. They aren't interested in a sensible approach. They want vaccines in everyone at all costs. The vaccine passports aren't about keeping people safe, the passports are purely a punitive measure being taken to try and punish those who have decided that it is best for themselves not to get this particular vaccine.
How is ~25% (as reported late July) who are unvaccinated "shutting out a large percentage of potential customers"? Considering that those who have not had the vaccine are a "large percentage" of the cases and the hospitalizations (as reported for the week of Aug 11-16) I'd say that the pro-vax might have a reason to worry ...

Wasn't the "mask recommendation" vs a mandate considered "sensible"? Not sure if that worked out well for us ...

The government tried the carrot and many responded to it ... but not enough ... yes, now they're bringing out the stick ...
firsttimecaller wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 10:26 am People are going to falsify vaccine passports anyway.
Sure, but if people who are verifying them only have one type to deal with the controls can be better handled than giving fraudsters multiple options to see which can be falsified the easiest/best ...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 25th, 2021, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
spooker

Post by spooker »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 25th, 2021, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Those that are choosing not to vaccinate are doing so because of valid science based health reasons.
No they are not. You've proven that based on the information provided. A university student writing a paper who quoted any of those sources would be immediately failed, and flat out ridiculed for choosing such obviously questionable sources.

I'm astounded by the logic of anti-vaxxers.
- 99.9% of the world's medical health processionals promote vaccination. But anti-vaxxers latch on the the 0.1% that don't.
- Of the 0.1% that don't agree, Anti-vaxxers don't seem to have the ability to recognize that not all Doctors are created equal. Mind is blown when you tell them that their family doctor isn't qualified to speak against virologists and epidemiologists (most don't even know what an epidemiologist is).
- Will absolutely trust other advice from the regular medical community. "It's just this vaccination thing they have wrong".
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

The logic is sinking in suddenly, registration for vaccinations have tripled among younger b.c.'ers since talk of vax passports has been stepped up.
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 12:32 pm The logic is sinking in suddenly, registration for vaccinations have tripled among younger b.c.'ers since talk of vax passports has been stepped up.
Logic??? You mean coercion.
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

WESTman wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 1:04 pm
Logic??? You mean coercion.
No, she meant logic.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bring in vax passports or don’t, doesn’t bother me either way.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 12:32 pm The logic is sinking in suddenly, registration for vaccinations have tripled among younger b.c.'ers since talk of vax passports has been stepped up.
Of course, they will go up when the government is basically forcing them to do it or else you cant join the rest of society in malls, movies, concerts etc. That doesn't mean they want to get it or have all of a sudden changed their reasoning to not get it.
They are being forced to.

What I don't understand from all you Vaccine extremists is how are you not seeing the bigger picture here.
The government is opening the door to a very slippery slope under the guise of "Public Safety" all to saves lives.....

Today it's the COVID vaccine with the government saying " Do your part to keep your loved ones safe"
Tomorrow is its boosters shot with the government saying "Keep doing your part for the sake of your loved ones"
Next year it's regular mandatory STD tests because Herpes is out of control and we need to lower the curve.
The year after they'll ban unprotected sex and make it mandatory to provide recent STD tests to enter a nightclub or sign up for Tinder/POF.
The year after they will ban all forms of smoking.
The year after they will ban all forms of drinking.

They and the media have already got 60% of the population thinking the other 40% are white supremacist/racist /misogynists.
Their plan is working, we are so divided right now they have complete control over us all.

look at the boating license program. You need to pay 35$, answer 10 multiple-choice questions (without cheating lol) and BAM You can now drive your 12-foot tin fishing boat that has a 35 lb thrust electric motor. all under the guise of your safety.

The government sucks at everything they do, That is why i don't trust them when they say "its for your safety"
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
kdotnet

Post by kdotnet »

Nedroj wrote: Aug 25th, 2021, 1:24 pm
Of course, they will go up when the government is basically forcing them to do it or else you cant join the rest of society in malls, movies, concerts etc. That doesn't mean they want to get it or have all of a sudden changed their reasoning to not get it.
They are being forced to.

What I don't understand from all you Vaccine extremists is how are you not seeing the bigger picture here.
The government is opening the door to a very slippery slope under the guise of "Public Safety" all to saves lives.....

Today it's the COVID vaccine with the government saying " Do your part to keep your loved ones safe"
Tomorrow is its boosters shot with the government saying "Keep doing your part for the sake of your loved ones"
Next year it's regular mandatory STD tests because Herpes is out of control and we need to lower the curve.
The year after they'll ban unprotected sex and make it mandatory to provide recent STD tests to enter a nightclub or sign up for Tinder/POF.
The year after they will ban all forms of smoking.
The year after they will ban all forms of drinking.

They and the media have already got 60% of the population thinking the other 40% are white supremacist/racist /misogynists.
Their plan is working, we are so divided right now they have complete control over us all.

look at the boating license program. You need to pay 35$, answer 10 multiple-choice questions (without cheating lol) and BAM You can now drive your 12-foot tin fishing boat that has a 35 lb thrust electric motor. all under the guise of your safety.

The government sucks at everything they do, That is why i don't trust them when they say "its for your safety"
Having another trip down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. Lol.

Return to “Health”