Care home Food/Nutrition

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Care home Food/Nutrition

Post by Silverstarqueen »

This has been a problem for many years, and IH acts like it's not a thing.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -care-home
Bigbacardi
Übergod

Re: Care home Food/Nutrition

Post by Bigbacardi »

If you think care home food is poor, wait till you try the hospital food...
😂😂😂😂
Remember, you are unique......Just like everybody else...
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Bigbacardi wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 7:46 am If you think care home food is poor, wait till you try the hospital food...
😂😂😂😂
People don't generally live in a hospital for months, so crummy meals for a week or two are not what this is about. This is about malnutrition, not just food preferences. Poor food in hospital, minor detail. I have seen seniors taken off virtually all food, cannot reach a drink, and not even an IV put in (and not for medical reasons). So at that point they are trying to dehydrate them to death.
domain
Übergod

Post by domain »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 7:44 am This has been a problem for many years, and IH acts like it's not a thing.

You could always become an activist and champion for your peers SSQ, and go on a hunger strike in your care home to bring greater attention to this issue.
With honesty and integrity.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

domain wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 8:37 am
Silverstarqueen wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 7:44 am This has been a problem for many years, and IH acts like it's not a thing.

You could always become an activist and champion for your peers SSQ, and go on a hunger strike in your care home to bring greater attention to this issue.
I've not read Silverstarqueen is in a care home. Is there a reason why you would make this up? Do you think half a measly sandwich is good nutrition?:
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

not trying to be offensive here and glad that someone is sending help to Ukraine ( I have Family there right now too) but when if we can send meals to Ukraine and yet we can't feed our elderly right here right now properly, then something is very wrong with the system..

North Okanagan Gleaners sending meals to people of Ukraine

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/36 ... of-Ukraine
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Glad there’s help for those in Ukraine. For those in care homes I suppose it would help to have pictures of what the residents are eating compared to the menus and go from there.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Are residents eating in a common dining room or are they in their own room?
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Fancy wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 12:42 pm Are residents eating in a common dining room or are they in their own room?
^^ can't see that really mattering too much..good food is good food where ever it may be eaten..and I fully agree with your comment Oldtrucker..it's starts and ends with proper leadership..hard to believe after all the horror stories that covid revealed in our care homes that there's still fairly simple problems like this still happening is pathetic..this should be a very easy problem to fix...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

W105 wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 1:36 pm
Fancy wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 12:42 pm Are residents eating in a common dining room or are they in their own room?
^^ can't see that really mattering too much..good food is good food where ever it may be eaten..and I fully agree with your comment Oldtrucker..it's starts and ends with proper leadership..hard to believe after all the horror stories that covid revealed in our care homes that there's still fairly simple problems like this still happening is pathetic..this should be a very easy problem to fix...
Inviting someone to eat in the dining room to see first hand what's being served is one thing but if residents are in lockdown that wouldn't be practical. Meals may be slightly different when served in takeout containers (just a thought). If the meals are that bad I would think a picture would make a huge statement.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Fancy wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 2:02 pm
W105 wrote: Mar 24th, 2022, 1:36 pm

Inviting someone to eat in the dining room to see first hand what's being served is one thing but if residents are in lockdown that wouldn't be practical. Meals may be slightly different when served in takeout containers (just a thought). If the meals are that bad I would think a picture would make a huge statement.
^^ I agree, pictures would definitely be a great help..
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Almost two years of restricting family members access has probably made a bad situation worse. Supposedly there are standards, but if no one is monitoring the quality control, then standards are useless. Who is making sure that the dollars paid for senior care is actually going toward adequate nutrition?
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Read an article about a doctor that treated patients with dementia that were unintentionally starved (biochemical evidence - blood work proof of starvation) during mandate restrictions basically. Family members usually help with reminding them to eat but with limited workers and mandate they got ill.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

hozzle wrote: Mar 25th, 2022, 5:28 pm Read an article about a doctor that treated patients with dementia that were unintentionally starved (biochemical evidence - blood work proof of starvation) during mandate restrictions basically. Family members usually help with reminding them to eat but with limited workers and mandate they got ill.
That’s a whole different issue.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Nowhere in the whole story I read was there any kind of proof of what was going on. Keep in mind with seniors in that situation I could realistically see some of them forgetting they actually had dinner or what they had being at that age.
Before I get all up in arms about something I would like to see some first-hand proof before I start casting stones. There's nothing wrong with worrying but I certainly would not be going to the media without some kind of proof.

Very sad if it turns out to be true but people should not jump to conclusions without concrete evidence.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “Health”