Care home Food/Nutrition

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Care home Food/Nutrition

Post by Fancy »

common_sense_guy wrote: Mar 25th, 2022, 7:12 pm Nowhere in the whole story I read was there any kind of proof of what was going on. Keep in mind with seniors in that situation I could realistically see some of them forgetting they actually had dinner or what they had being at that age.
Before I get all up in arms about something I would like to see some first-hand proof before I start casting stones. There's nothing wrong with worrying but I certainly would not be going to the media without some kind of proof.

Very sad if it turns out to be true but people should not jump to conclusions without concrete evidence.
That's why I suggested pictures and there's no reason to not be able to do that now. I'm surprised that these ladies would take what is said as gospel without seeing for themselves. Places aren't in lockdown now but I'm pretty sure the story isn't giving the whole story.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Fancy wrote: Mar 25th, 2022, 6:08 pm
hozzle wrote: Mar 25th, 2022, 5:28 pm Read an article about a doctor that treated patients with dementia that were unintentionally starved (biochemical evidence - blood work proof of starvation) during mandate restrictions basically. Family members usually help with reminding them to eat but with limited workers and mandate they got ill.
That’s a whole different issue.
Read my post again... it's on point. :smt045
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

hozzle wrote: Mar 25th, 2022, 8:55 pm
Fancy wrote: Mar 25th, 2022, 6:08 pm
That’s a whole different issue.
Read my post again... it's on point. :smt045
I read it just fine. Serving food that doesn’t meet dietary needs is a different issue and not the same as seniors forgetting to eat.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

When was the last time an audit was done in BC. Ontario did one:
Our audit found that the long-term-care homes
were not consistently providing residents with
sufficient and high-quality food and nutrition care.
https://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/an ... 05en19.pdf
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Fancy wrote: Mar 26th, 2022, 1:05 pm When was the last time an audit was done in BC. Ontario did one:
Our audit found that the long-term-care homes
were not consistently providing residents with
sufficient and high-quality food and nutrition care.
Audit seems to discuss a lot about increase in dementia patients, seems off topic.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Don't troll thanks.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

:topic:
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lol - you mention dementia and then say the article I posted was off topic (it wasn't). Please do discuss the topic - thanks.

The families that look after the residents could always ask for clarity.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

hozzle wrote: Mar 26th, 2022, 6:58 pm
Fancy wrote: Mar 26th, 2022, 1:05 pm When was the last time an audit was done in BC. Ontario did one:

Audit seems to discuss a lot about increase in dementia patients, seems off topic.
When it was discussing lack of nutrition obviously not.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

BC may not need to do an audit since the Ontario auditors asked for advice from BC, Alta, & Man.
I suspect because they were doing it right, so an audit may be a moot point.
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

hozzle wrote: Mar 27th, 2022, 12:43 pm
BC may not need to do an audit since the Ontario auditors asked for advice from BC, Alta, & Man.
I suspect because they were doing it right, so an audit may be a moot point.
BC long term care homes aren’t having an issue with dietary needs? Good to know.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Food, it's appearance and taste is one thing, but a lack of nutrition is another. As one doctor pointed out and indicated in the Ontario audit... starvation & malnutrition due to an increase in dementia patients for self care (remembering to eat), visitor restriction mandates, & lack of workers. Luckily this didn't appear to be the case in Oliver, but does pose an argument for IH to step up their game.
- M. de Voltaire
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Dementia is one of the leading reasons for why people end up in care. The residents have complex needs, so if the facility is not meeting those needs (nutrition should certainly be top of the list), then what is the point in having them there? When residents are not properly nourished, something like dementia can become even more unmanageable, the mind functions more poorly, mood is affected, and soon patients could end up on heavy medications as a result. Some of these medications literally interfere with a patient's ability to feed themselves, swallow, or even reduce their appetites. Not surprisingly the resident then declines.

So there are various aspects to the problem, providing good nutrition, adequate calories, AND seeing that the patient is actually getting the benefit of nutrition is all part of caring for people with dementia.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Mar 28th, 2022, 7:13 am Dementia is one of the leading reasons for why people end up in care. The residents have complex needs, so if the facility is not meeting those needs (nutrition should certainly be top of the list), then what is the point in having them there? When residents are not properly nourished, something like dementia can become even more unmanageable, the mind functions more poorly, mood is affected, and soon patients could end up on heavy medications as a result. Some of these medications literally interfere with a patient's ability to feed themselves, swallow, or even reduce their appetites. Not surprisingly the resident then declines.

So there are various aspects to the problem, providing good nutrition, adequate calories, AND seeing that the patient is actually getting the benefit of nutrition is all part of caring for people with dementia.
When my Mom was in "assisted living" and "Extended care", she didn't eat much. For example, she had 1 piece of toast (no butter or anything else), coffee and 1 piece of bacon for breakfast. She could have had anything she wanted, but that is what she chose. She took a banana back to her room where she didn't eat it and I discovered that she had 4 others in her cupboard that had turned black.

These types of facilities are nothing more that overpriced motel rooms. There is not one thing good that I can say about either of these places. I would rather die in a horrific combine accident, than having to live in one of those.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

My parents got pretty good care when they were in assisted living and long term care (except for when they tried to starve mom to death, which I managed to stop). But that was a while ago, and the baby boomers are probably beginning to fill the system, perhaps beyond what it can provide. Plus I think there are profiteers who have moved in, and without regulation AND enforcement, corners get cut. Covid just brought all this to a head with one more major challenge on top of everything, without probably adequate funds to step up the care.

Return to “Health”