How will this affect you if our ambulance services are reduced?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: How will this affect you if our ambulance services are reduced?

Post by Fancy »

Once the incentives are there and the system reverts back to pre-covid as suggested, it’s probable the few (80’sh out of 4,000 or so) will be replaced plus some. As is expected of the nursing classes
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Fancy wrote: Dec 3rd, 2022, 11:26 am Once the incentives are there and the system reverts back to pre-covid as suggested, it’s probable the few (80’sh out of 4,000 or so) will be replaced plus some. As is expected of the nursing classes
Really? you have a crystal ball that is special. My friends daughter graduated with her BSN in BC, but moved to Calgary for work. :135:
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

hozzle wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 8:07 am
Fancy wrote: Dec 3rd, 2022, 11:26 am Once the incentives are there and the system reverts back to pre-covid as suggested, it’s probable the few (80’sh out of 4,000 or so) will be replaced plus some. As is expected of the nursing classes
…My friends daughter graduated with her BSN in BC, but moved to Calgary for work. :135:
Graduated is a lot different from those that are currently pursuing the careers. Takes time for the change to take effect.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Fancy wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 11:07 am
hozzle wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 8:07 am
…My friends daughter graduated with her BSN in BC, but moved to Calgary for work. :135:
Graduated is a lot different from those that are currently pursuing the careers. Takes time for the change to take effect.
No crystal ball?... regardless interesting semantics... but doesn't explain much or bolster the theory that future nurses wont move to region with a less hostile / overbearing employers.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

hozzle wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 11:19 am
Fancy wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 11:07 am

…but doesn't explain much or bolster the theory that future nurses wont move to region with a less hostile / overbearing employers.
We know additional class sizes for nurses have been added and I believe change is constant so the possibility is there for improvement.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Fancy wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 11:50 am
hozzle wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 11:19 am

…but doesn't explain much or bolster the theory that future nurses wont move to region with a less hostile / overbearing employers.
We know additional class sizes for nurses have been added and I believe change is constant so the possibility is there for improvement.
I can't fully agree, but that sounds more reasonable.
- M. de Voltaire
obtunded

Post by obtunded »

First of all, The "Government" does not run the ambulance service. It is and has been run off the corner of someone's desk within the largest Health Authority. They in turn, use someone that has never been a paramedic in an executive management position to direct a peter principle team that are as non-community centric as it gets. The administrative ranks are bloated with people that have no role in delivering patient care, and there is no dedicated long term planning to proactively meet demands. They are entirely re-active to crises, not proactive.

There are no police departments that are commanded by non-police. There are no fire departments commanded by non-firefighters, and yet ambulance services are managed by those with absolutely NO experience delivering emergency pre-hospital care. The other characteristic of fire and police resources is they are directly accountable to the communities they serve. Paramedics services are not.

The mandarins in charge of our EMS are is experts in double-speak, failing to answer questions when confronted by media, and masters of manipulating statistics in their favour. It is easier for them to discipline a front-line crew than it is to accept responsibility for the multiple failures that led to a problem. Those who are in positions to observe problems, completely lack the authority or budget to address problems proactively.

Paramedic services have failed utterly in putting communities and patients first. There are no public advisory committees, or direct community input into service delivery or strategic planning.

I spent 32 years within the organization, and I bore the brunt of its failures every single working day.

It is abundantly clear to me that the centralized command of the ambulance service is a failure. This service needs to be operated and managed regionally. The needs of Lumby, Deas Lake, Edgewood, Salmon Arm and Burns Lake are vastly different from Hastings Street in Vancouver, and the most vulnerable have the lowest standards of care.

The paramedics themselves are exceptional, but the "Rate My Employer" website says it all.
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

You summed that up very well. :up: :up:
MY OPINIONS MEAN NOTHING, SAME AS YOURS
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

This just in:
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/400771 ... gan#400771

Good to see that some progress has been made with the restoration of the lost ambulances. I have yet to notice a "We're Hiring" sign on the back doors, similar to RCMP cars.
Years ago, training was paid for. Pre entrance exams and interviews were the norm before hire, or advancement. I think a system like that attracts quality candidates and paramedics take pride in their accomplishments.
Now, you sign the cheque, you take your training, you sit in some remote post for a few years making peanuts on callout, or... you recoup your losses and work in the oil or mining industry for large coin. Paramedic retention is a biyatch.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Kodidad wrote: Dec 9th, 2022, 11:47 am This just in:
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/400771 ... gan#400771

Good to see that some progress has been made with the restoration of the lost ambulances. I have yet to notice a "We're Hiring" sign on the back doors, similar to RCMP cars.
Years ago, training was paid for. Pre entrance exams and interviews were the norm before hire, or advancement. I think a system like that attracts quality candidates and paramedics take pride in their accomplishments.
Now, you sign the cheque, you take your training, you sit in some remote post for a few years making peanuts on callout, or... you recoup your losses and work in the oil or mining industry for large coin. Paramedic retention is a biyatch.
Curious flip flop by Adrian Dix’s
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Out walking in the city today and taking in various experiences got me thinking about the shortage of ambulances.

I came across an elderly man who had fallen and was bleeding from a head injury, as well as being semi coherent. He was already being tended to by a couple of people who seemed to know what they were doing and had already called an ambulance. So I continued on.

Ten minutes later I'm back, the man is still on the ground and those tending to him were looking anxious. Then we heard a siren and an ambulance came around the corner. But it continued on to another call. So I went back to walking.

Within three or four minutes an ambulance did come.

A short ways down the street there's an addict bouncing off concrete walls and he's doing a real number on his head.

I watched for a minute and got to thinking. If he's goes down should I call an ambulance?
No. I decided I would not do that.

I had just seen an innocent man laying injured and having to wait at least 15 minutes. The first ambulance that went by could very easily been going to another overdose. Making this man wait.

From now on I'll assess each situation and if necessary the drugged out addict can wait.

BTW, this was the second OD I had seen this morning. The FD looked after him.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

B.c. ambulance responds to 100 drug overdose calls a day less than 10% of their total calls.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It would be helpful to see the data for cities, instead of the entire province.

Pre Hospital Event Call Volumes in BC Communities, 2016 through 2022
http://www.bcehs.ca/about-site/Document ... %20PDF.pdf

The number of ODs isn't specified.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Mar 4th, 2023, 10:38 am B.c. ambulance responds to 100 drug overdose calls a day less than 10% of their total calls.
And your point is.....
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

Interesting, Kelowna ranks 3rd after Surrey and Vancouver for street calls.

Return to “Health”