Sick and disabled? Don't worry, there's someone who is willing to compassionately kill you

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Sick and disabled? Don't worry, there's someone who is willing to compassionately kill you

Post by Glacier »

Viva is right on the money. Trudeau is repulsive on every level.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Sick and disabled? Don't worry, there's someone who is willing to compassionately kill you

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Glacier wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 12:43 pm Viva is right on the money. Trudeau is repulsive on every level.
What exactly does Trudeua have to do with this? Also we don't know if this disabled person did ask for information about assisted death, and therefore was being provided with it, or not. I doubt that a 2 min clip has covered all the communications that have gone on with this patient about their care options.

I've been with a family member (more than once), when they questioned why they were being assisted to live, or that they wanted assistance in dying. I have also advocated for a family member who clearly wanted to live and wanted risky health treatment to have a chance at life. Sometimes they don't want nursing home care, but can't look after themselves independently So what are health care workers supposed to do at that point, ignore it and not provide them with the information to make an informed decision?
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Utterly "woke" sentiment. People should be able to die while they still have dignity if they like.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

so this man has been apparently discussing various living options since 2016 (was somewhat disabled before that and received 7 hours a day homecare), and this issue is still being debated. Surely in the last 6 years he has figured out his options, or died of his terminal illness.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/chronical ... -1.4038841

One thing left out of the video above is that Roger said "I'm always thinking I want to end my life". This was while he was getting full care, at cost of $1500 a day to the hospital (in about 2017). So there is always an effort to find a more long term plan, than staying in hospital indefinitely. If he went into a nursing home, he might be able to get care for $500 a day, or $800 a day, instead of $1500 a day in hospital. Why does the original article leave out that Foley expressly said "I'm always thinking I want to end my life". This is why they had to send someone to discuss this option with him.

Another case mentioned in related news articles, in b.c.
" Sean Tagert suffers from advancing ALS and requires around-the-clock care, but he only gets 20 hours a day."
Okay, he needs round the clock care, but he only gets 20 hours. His family says they want more hours, 20 hours a day is not enough. so another option has to be found, which would be a nursing home.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Nov 17th, 2022, 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

2021 Foley takes the Ont gov't to court to sue for the cost of his treatment plus damages, and complains of inferior care.i.e. not the home care of his choosing.
http://www.assistedlife.ca/superiorcour ... fecase.pdf
spooker

Post by spooker »

Aside from the content of the post it's interesting that they are posting a story from 2018 as if it's current ...
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

ChocolateNecessary91 wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 5:22 am More info: https://maid2mad.ca/
This statement is a load of c#$p. For many years our provincial "health" care has "assisted" elderly to die, virtually starved them to death when it seemed appropriate to them, without any consultation with family or the patient. So they tried to drug my mom to death, that didn't quite work. They tried to deny her life saving surgery, that didn't work because my Dad and me put our foot down. They tried to starve her to death, that didn't work for quite a while, but eventually they did succeed. Never at any time did she request to be given the bum's rush to go meet her maker, nor did we, until the very end.I think with proper care she could have lived considerably longer, not bedridded, if they hadn't starved her. So this claim that doctors have always aimed to preserve life is complete nonsense. In my Dad's case, they eventually started talking about "making him comfortable", and I made it clear they were at least to offer him food (I knew he'd eat it).He had all his marbles to the very end. At least he didn't starve to death. Then they were going to try it with another relative of mine, they were trying to refuse him treatment when he had no DNR, they were not providing adequate nutrition, he did not request to have his life ended, and was most days, on his feet and eating, talking, functioning pretty well. So there seems to have been a "Best By" date that some individuals pass, and if they don't have a health advocate, they might just mysteriously "pass away".

That being said, there are people with conditions which should allow them the choice to end their lives, if that's what they want. We cannot provide Cadillac care, 24/7 nursing care in the comfort of their own home, for every person. This issue has been building for many many years. We will not have enough able-bodied people to look after all the people who need personal one-on-one care for every physical and emotional need or desire. Heck, we won't even have enough paramedics to scoop up the bodies as they collapse and die and need transport, let alone care for them every day for as long as they can breathe. We don't have enough people now to care for all the homeless who need someone to organize their lives, provide them food, clothing, laundry, counselling, and put a roof over their head for them. So we probably should have been having a public conversation for quite some time.

In the case of the OP, he has been cared for for many years, even before this article,, 7 hours a day of home care, and eventually 24/7 hospital care for the last 6 years. He wants 24/7 home care instead of institutionalized care. He mentioned that he was always thinking about ending his life. But finds purpose in bringing the government to court to get the Cadillac care that he feels he is entitled too. Altho he was considered "terminally Ill" according to the article, he has lived almost 50 years with some kind of care and assistance for most of it. No reason why he can't live another 40 years with round the clock care. If he didn't want to have a frank conversation about ending his life , he should not have said thats all he was thinking about. Yes, these things come up when someone is in full care for years and years.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 6:46 am He wants 24/7 home care instead of institutionalized care. He mentioned that he was always thinking about ending his life. But finds purpose in bringing the government to court to get the Cadillac care that he feels he is entitled too.
Yup, that seems to me to be the crux of it. He wants 24-hour home care, at home, all costs covered by the taxpayer.

Just as we will never be able to afford to fund enough acute care beds for everyone who doesn't want to go into a care home, we will never be able to afford to provide appropriate 24-hour care in their own homes for everyone who doesn't want to go into a care home.

We can't know for sure, but most likely he himself told members of the medical team he'd rather die than go into a care home, and they appropriately followed up with having the appropriate person explain the MAID option.

Suggesting the MAID option was presented without his ever having expressed any interest in dying is misleading.

Framing the medical community following up on what the patient expressed as "abuse and neglect" in a Charter challenge shouldn't work in court. If it does, the medical community will be reluctant to help those who are expressing their preference for a quick and merciful end.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

He is on audio tape specifically saying he constantly thought about ending his life. (this was edited out of the original tape on the original post, and we are left to wonder why they would take that out of the conversation). That's why the other person on the tape said "You don't have to kill yourself, there is the option of assisted dying". If MAID is going to be available, then people who are talking about always wanting to die, then they should be offered MAID, they should be aware that it is one of the options, if they want it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 2:01 pm Utterly "woke" sentiment. People should be able to die while they still have dignity if they like.
:up: :130:
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Glacier wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 12:43 pm Viva is right on the money. Trudeau is repulsive on every level.
how so ? I dont see any cons talking about more support for ppl on disability which i find way more replusive than tryn to help ppl die on their terms instead of forced suffering being imposed on them. Thats creepy to me
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

"Kill Yourself."
Either a saying that will get you kicked off Castanet forums or health advice from the Canadian government.

Found this on another site. Took out twitter and put in Castanet.
ChocolateNecessary91
Fledgling

Post by ChocolateNecessary91 »

"Woman featured in pro-euthanasia commercial wanted to live, say friends.

'I feel like I'm falling through the cracks so if I'm not able to access health care am I then able to access death care?' Hatch said"

Source: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/wo ... ed-to-live

Return to “Health”