Travel Insurance Outside of BC

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
one wheel
Übergod

Travel Insurance Outside of BC

Post by one wheel »

I always buy travel insurance if I'm going outside Canada but I've never bought it when traveling in Canada as I thought we had a universal health care plan ?
When I renew my vehicle insurance I'll be making sure I'm covered. I couldn't imagine the cost of a helicopter or any hospital procedures that aren't covered ?
jcow84

Re: Travel Insurance Outside of BC

Post by jcow84 »

It depends what province you are going to. I'm not entirely sure, but you may have to pay for emergency visits out of pocket and then get reimbursed by BC MSP. Provinces are the ones that allocate funds for healthcare, so it's not the same regulations across the country. Here's some helpful advice from the BC Govt website:

"Most physicians in other Canadian provinces and territories (except Quebec) will bill their own provincial/territorial health plan for services provided if you present your valid B.C. Services Card. The provinces/territories recover the funding monthly between each other.

When travelling in Quebec, you may be asked to pay for physician services and seek reimbursement later from MSP. If you paid for physician services in another province/territory, to request reimbursement please complete the Out of Country Medical Claim Form.

Hospital Benefits in Canada:
If you are admitted to a publicly funded hospital in Canada, the cost for most outpatient and inpatient services will usually be managed by the provincial or territorial health care plan. If you receive an invoice from a public hospital in Canada for insured medical services, please contact: Ministry of Health, Out of Province Claims, PO BOX 9647, STN PROV GOVT, Victoria, B.C. V8W 9P4

B.C. residents are strongly advised to purchase additional health insurance when travelling to other Canadian provinces/territories to cover the cost of services not included in the reciprocal agreement between the provinces/territories."

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/heal ... h-columbia
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

one wheel wrote: Jan 18th, 2023, 5:22 pm I always buy travel insurance if I'm going outside Canada but I've never bought it when traveling in Canada as I thought we had a universal health care plan ?
When I renew my vehicle insurance I'll be making sure I'm covered. I couldn't imagine the cost of a helicopter or any hospital procedures that aren't covered ?
Travel and health insurance are two different things. Travel insurance covers mostly your itinerary interruptions, while health insurance covers your health costs while away. To my knowledge, most provinces accept out-of-province patients with no upfront cost to them. I travel frequently between BC and AB, and it's seamless.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

We buy travel insurance through BCAA whenever we leave the province. Went to MB last year for a week or so, and it was only 18.00.

You can also buy a yearly policy, at least for out of country, if you travel a lot. I'm not sure about within Canada, but it's worth checking into.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

If you have group benefits through your employer you likely have both out of country and out of province coverage - double check you might already be good
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

In 2012/13/14, I contracted in Edmonton. I didn’t buy extra insurance and had to seek medical help a couple of times. It was covered under my BC Healthcare. I’ve traveled to other provinces and didn’t purchase it or need it those times. Definitely when I travel out of country I’ll buy the extra insurance and cross my fingers I don’t need it lol
Bullying is not acceptable and cowardly. You know who you are.
Richadio
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Richadio »

IF you travel with credit cards, some cards that have a yearly fee come with a travel insurance on them. Most have coverage upto $1 million . Check with your bank or read your terms if your card has this benefit. There isn't a need to pay for additional insurance policies over and above.
FREEDOM's don't come from a vaccine, PRIVILEGE's do.
The TRUTH never denies EXAMINATION.
Replacement migration = White genocide.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Richadio wrote: Jan 22nd, 2023, 3:57 pm IF you travel with credit cards, some cards that have a yearly fee come with a travel insurance on them. Most have coverage upto $1 million . Check with your bank or read your terms if your card has this benefit. There isn't a need to pay for additional insurance policies over and above.
This is what I do. I have a card specifically for travel so I'm covered. Plus have benefits through work. No need to buy extra.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Health”