Health consequences from standing too much?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Health consequences from standing too much?

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm what my wife calls "a stander". I rarely sit. When I do sit, it's usually because it's not an appropriate setting to stand. For example: I'll sit at the dinner table with my family, I'll sit when called into a formal meeting, I'll sit when riding a bus or flying on the airplane. I don't find sitting uncomfortable or anything, I find it just as comfortable to stand and enjoy the additional mobility that standing affords. I do sit for about 1hr at the end of my day as part of my evening routine. Usually I'll watch a bit of TV before going to bed and find sitting on the couch helps me relax (I'll often start nodding off).

Recently I had someone tell me that the human body wasn't ment to stand all day. It'll harm my back over time and my heart has to work harder. I'm in my 40's and have been this way ever since I was a teenager. About the worst I've noticed are thick calluses on my feet (doesn't cause an issue) and a soft tooshie that can't handle sitting on a hard chair for too long. Google searches are full of contradictory articles. Some say standing is great for your health while others suggest standing too much could be worse than sitting most of the day.

Curious about the opinion of Castanet folks? Maybe I should start taking advantage of my sit/stand desk and lower it to the sitting position for an hour or 2 every day?
77TA
Lord of the Board

Re: Health consequences from standing too much?

Post by 77TA »

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Don't listen to those people. You do you. My hubby is the same way and he's brilliant. Keep on keeping on.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

77TA wrote: Mar 4th, 2023, 12:42 pm https://youtu.be/Dh9wyy0S3dg
LMAO! :130: It's like being vegan!

I really don't think standing is "better" nor that it makes a significant difference to health. Standing isn't exercise. I rarely tell others about my preference for standing unless it's when they offer me a seat and I refuse. I don't try to talk other people into standing or think/say it's better to stand than sit - I simply prefer to stand in most circumstances.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Mar 4th, 2023, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It’s interesting you brought this up because my Apple Watch tells me to stand even when I’m sitting and I am on my feet for at least 9 hours. I find it’s my lower legs and lower back that feels it by the end of the day. Stretching helps. I don’t think we were meant to sit all day either.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Kitchen parties had guests standing around for hours - no one wanted to sit.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

My job involves standing all day, sometimes relatively stationary with bits of walking mixed in. Several years ago I hurt my lower back which resulted in pain with too much sitting and too much standing. Over time my back has healed and strengthened so that I can tolerate sitting for a while, dependent on the type of seat, and I can tolerate standing at work as long as I am not too stationary for too long.

I don't know that standing is inherently bad for you, never really considered that much, but there sure seems to be plenty of information about too much sitting being a negative. What I can say from my own experience is that standing for hours on end is hard on my body, specifically my back, legs and feet. There are many days where I come home from work, take off my shoes, and cannot walk normally for a while from the pain in my feet. And injury aside, I am generally healthy and physically active.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

SuperMom wrote: Mar 4th, 2023, 12:55 pm My job involves standing all day, sometimes relatively stationary with bits of walking mixed in. Several years ago I hurt my lower back which resulted in pain with too much sitting and too much standing. Over time my back has healed and strengthened so that I can tolerate sitting for a while, dependent on the type of seat, and I can tolerate standing at work as long as I am not too stationary for too long.

I don't know that standing is inherently bad for you, never really considered that much, but there sure seems to be plenty of information about too much sitting being a negative. What I can say from my own experience is that standing for hours on end is hard on my body, specifically my back, legs and feet. There are many days where I come home from work, take off my shoes, and cannot walk normally for a while from the pain in my feet. And injury aside, I am generally healthy and physically active.
Thank-you for sharing and I'm really sorry to hear about your injury and the lasting effect it has had on you. People tend to take their bodies for granted until they experience something like what you've been through. I hope it improves.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

TylerM4 wrote: Mar 4th, 2023, 12:48 pm
77TA wrote: Mar 4th, 2023, 12:42 pm https://youtu.be/Dh9wyy0S3dg
LMAO! :130: It's like being vegan!

I really don't think standing is "better" nor that it makes a significant difference to health. Standing isn't exercise. I rarely tell others about my preference for standing unless it's when they offer me a seat and I refuse. I don't try to talk other people into standing or think/say it's better to stand than sit - I simply prefer to stand in most circumstances.
I have some back trouble myself. Either too much standing or too much sitting aggravates it. Stretching helps alot. I'm pretty active during the day and my back slowly seizes up once the movement stops. It's a recliner or a bed soon after.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

77TA wrote: Mar 4th, 2023, 1:36 pm I have some back trouble myself. Either too much standing or too much sitting aggravates it. Stretching helps alot. I'm pretty active during the day and my back slowly seizes up once the movement stops. It's a recliner or a bed soon after.
Thanks. Have heard similar a few times in this thread. Seems like stretching and avoiding being sedentary for too long of a stretch is key to avoid pain and seizing up. Especially as we age. I'm very thankful that I rarely experience back or joint pain - hope to keep it that way as long as possible.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Standing stationary, yes, could cause problems with blood pooling in the legs, or sore joints or muscles. But moving around on your feet, frequently to keep the circulation happening and muscles active is good for a person. Include some variations and bending,stretching, walking around thru out the day, should be no problem. I used to work on my feet a lot, but moved around constantly, never had a problem with it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

S :swear: I’ve been standing a vast majority of my entire life.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I’ve been standing for 5 hours already today. My dog doesn’t like me sitting too much and there’s always work to do. Can’t imagine having to sit at a desk all day now.

Return to “Health”