Quick reminder

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Frisk
Guru

Quick reminder

Post by Frisk »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-121645-101-.htm#121645

After a hot summer most of the flash fuels (grass, brush) have died off by this time of year. Flash fuels ignite very easily when they are dead and dried out. Problem is, a lot of people believe the fire season is already over and become less cautious of where they throw their cigarette butts and such. There was a fire on the westside this afternoon that appears to have started beside the road, so we can probably assume it was caused by a cigarette. Be careful!
Lore
Übergod

Re: Quick reminder

Post by Lore »

I first thought it was from a cigarette but this story says it was from a blown tire.
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#121645
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Ah okay! I missed that part.

Sparks igniting grass, yikes.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

my friend just lost her home in Twisp because someone had a flat tire and decided to see if they could make it to town to get it fixed. the rim hitting the road caught the grass on fire and at least 2 homes burned.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

ferri wrote:my friend just lost her home in Twisp because someone had a flat tire and decided to see if they could make it to town to get it fixed. the rim hitting the road caught the grass on fire and at least 2 homes burned.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope they had insurance?

I believe today it's been 2 years since the Peachland fire in 2012. People need to remain cautious this time of year.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Some hot, dry weather predicted over the coming week. That's wonderful news but people need to be careful out there.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weathe ... ia/kelowna
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Our upcoming weather looks quite nice although things might go downhill after Wedensday (cooler + rain)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Things are drying very quickly although there is rain forecasted for much of BC over the next little while.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:Things are drying very quickly although there is rain forecasted for much of BC over the next little while.
I may have missed a day or two, but I've been keeping track, and the "dot" (weather station) near my mom's house has been in the red every day but once since mid-July. It's still red. No wonder why creeks are drying up, and ranchers are buying hay and selling cows to make it through the summer (can't irrigate when the creek is dry). Yesterday it was 29 degrees there at 3000 ft elevation, though it looks like Fraser Canyon has that beat with 31 yesterday and a forecast 33 today. Port Alberni was the hot spot yesterday at 32.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

We did get some rain today, about 3mm. Not much but it'll probably keep the danger rating down for a couple of days. The late season summer weather will still be sticking around for another week or so.
Attachments
image.jpg
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Today is the very last day of summer and it looks that way on the forecast, too.
Attachments
image.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The change is even more dramatic up north going from a high of 27 today to a high of only 15 tomorrow...

forecast.PNG

Current fire danger rating:

DR Sept 14 2014.gif
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Looks like we might get some rain today. (2mm already fell this morning)
Attachments
image.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Sun is shining and the danger rating is still high.

DR - Sept 21 2014.gif
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I think it's probably ok to take down the fire watch forum now. There's lots of rain in the forecast for much of BC and there is currently no out of control fires in the province.

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”