Campfire Ban?

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Campfire Ban?

Post by Frisk »

No, I'm not trolling. Just because you disagree with something it doesn't mean the other person is a troll.

All I want is to have a nice small campfire in my backyard with my family in a proper campfire pit with proper safety things nearby. But apparently people are afraid that a small fire can burn through concrete & throw sparks a kilometere. Yes, I know what it's like to be evacuated, we had to leave because of the Smith Creek fire. Yes, it was stressful, and I understand your concerns but there's a point where the fear becomes a little over the top.

I'd be more concerned about those people who think it's fun to watch things burn. Because I'm pretty sure there's one out there considering the fact that there's always a human caused forest fire in the city every time the fire danger reaches extreme and the wind is blowing. Like seriously, it's happened 6 times since 2009, I don't think that's a coincidence.

Edit: Grammar fix.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:No, I'm not trolling. Just because you disagree with something it doesn't mean the other person is a troll.

All I want is to have a nice small campfire in my backyard with my family in a proper campfire pit with proper safety things nearby. But apparently people are afraid that a small fire can burn through concrete & throw sparks a kilometere. Yes, I know what it's like to be evacuated, we had to leave because of the Smith Creek fire. Yes, it was stressful, and I understand your concerns but there's a point where the fear becomes a little over the top.

I'd be more concerned about those people who think it's fun to watch things burn. Because I'm pretty sure there's one out there considering the fact that there's always a human caused forest fire in the city every time the fire danger reaches extreme and the wind is blowing. Like seriously, it's happened 6 times since 2009, I don't think that's a coincidence.

Edit: Grammar fix.

What else would you call it?
I can't have a campfire in my backyard (bylaws).
Never heard of anyone being afraid of a small fire burning through concrete (not mentioned on this thread).
Nor throwing sparks a kilometer.
"fear becomes over the top" that's over the top.
We are in fire season - I'm conditioned but fire isn't the only thing in nature I'm conditioned to.
Last edited by Fancy on Aug 1st, 2014, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Quailize wrote:All I want is to have a nice small campfire in my backyard with my family in a proper campfire pit with proper safety things nearby.

You could use one of those propane campfires and be legal.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:Yes I hear what you all are saying but I think there needs to be an exception in the ban.

There are exceptions to the ban. For example, if you are planning on having a wedding, and would like to have a campfire, you can apply for an exemption. If you can provide evidence that you will have your fire in a safe manner, you will be granted the exemption. It's just that easy, folks.

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”