Fire ban

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Fire ban

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:I'm surprised they dropped the fire ban, because next week is forecasted to be hot & sunny.

I wouldn't call 20s hot. Last month places were hitting 40 degrees, which is a huge difference. Besides, we are now going to be getting cooler nights, which will keep the fire risk down a bit.

Funny story, a friend of mine was out in the Chilcotin working on a fire break line through the forest a month ago. He was only a week into the job when he was shut down because of the fire danger.

DR Aug 21 2014.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 22nd, 2014, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Fire ban

Post by Frisk »

Yes that is also true.

With the cooler nights this time of year it's unlikely that you'll see a fire burn aggressively for more than one day because the higher humidity & dew in the morning usually helps firefighters control the fire much quicker. Although if it's hot, dry, windy and there's a low humidity there's still a possibility of aggressive, short lasting fires like what happen to Peachland in September 2012.

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”