Cruise Advice

Business and professional recommendations.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Cruise Advice

Post by Lady tehMa »

Mom and Sibs have booked us a cruise in August, Inside Passage. Princess Cruises - and it is my very first one.

What do I need to know?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Cruise Advice

Post by Queen K »

Well congratulations, I hear it's an excellent one to take as first cruise. There must be several youtube vids giving packing advice somewhere.

I would immediately photograph with my cell phone, as many cues to finding my cabin as possible, to help in case you feel lost. I'd have all my luggage photographed and id tags inside and out. After that, I'm following this for advice too.

My other advice is to take as many shore excursions as possible. Do them all :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

If you go for dinners instead of the buffet, try and avoid politics. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 6th, 2024, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*

I hope your Cruise goes better than our last Princess cruise. (Ruby Princess was a disaster)
Last edited by ferri on Feb 6th, 2024, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bsuds wrote: Feb 6th, 2024, 2:57 pm
The Green Barbarian wrote: Feb 6th, 2024, 1:34 pm *removed*
*removed*

I hope your Cruise goes better than our last Princess cruise. (Ruby Princess was a disaster)
*removed*

Anyway, we were on Celebrity, it was really good. What was wrong with Ruby Princess? Please do tell as we are looking at Princess cruises right now.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Feb 6th, 2024, 2:59 pm
Anyway, we were on Celebrity, it was really good. What was wrong with Ruby Princess? Please do tell as we are looking at Princess cruises right now.
There were major issues with the plumbing onboard. Flooding and toilets constantly not working.

Some people complained their A/C was not working for days on end in the rooms. (We were doing a Panama Cruise and it was hot)

The food in the Buffet was OK but the same thing night after night. We had better luck in the MDR and had a great waiter so we requested him every night. That was the best part of the cruise.

There were supposed to be 5 ports and we only got to see 3 for a couple of different reasons.

Nicaragua has not let Cruise ships stop since the start of Covid but Princess still lists it as a port on the cruise. My opinion is that's false advertising because they know it won't be a stop.

There was also a fire onboard the last night of the trip and the ship suddenly listed to one side drastically. Several passengers and possibly crew members were hurt.

We will never go on a Princess cruise again!

That was our 6th cruise so we are not new to this. We talked to several people who were long time Princess cruisers (20-30) who said it was the last one they would go with them too.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Feb 6th, 2024, 1:34 pm If you go for dinners instead of the buffet, try and avoid politics. *removed*
I sense a good story here. LOL

We're supposed to go on our first cruise in 2025.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I was going to comment on that post as I agreed with some of it but suffice to say stay away from politics including other countries. And wash your hands a lot.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote: Feb 6th, 2024, 4:21 pm And wash your hands a lot.
Many don't and it's really, really annoying!

If you happen to catch Covid while on a Cruise you will spent your time in your cabin and not be let out until you disembark to go home!

If you see food constantly outside a cabin door...it's a sign.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I stopped going to buffets when I saw a young child with both hands handling fruit desserts.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

We took a Norweigan Cruise about 20 years ago to Alaska, the shakedown mid-June one (to break-in new staff, first cruise of the year) and we thought it was fantastic, a terrific experience. Booked really early and as time went on, got bumped up to better cabins.

Staff were lovely and food even better. The ports visited were friendly and welcoming, then took a day trip by train following gold miners trail. Scenery was gaspingly beautiful and I was lucky enough to spot a partridge in the snow, half white, half brown as it was transitioning between winter to summer plumage.

I’ve since been on 2 more cruises to south, and was sorely disappointed as I felt like a captive audience to what the cruise directors deemed what was to be seen and not. Tipping at exit was mandatory and it was pricey for a poor Skunk, with limited budget at that time. Will not go again.

I hope you enjoy yourself. Life is short.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Lady tehMa wrote: Feb 5th, 2024, 9:56 pm Mom and Sibs have booked us a cruise in August, Inside Passage. Princess Cruises - and it is my very first one.

What do I need to know?
We did our first cruise ever last summer, on Holland America Lines. It was a 7 day cruise, Vancouver to Alaska and return.

I can't say enough good things about HAL and the staff. A smaller ship, the Volendam, about 1400 passengers max.

Three stops on the trip, I sat out one of them and took advantage of the pool and hot tub. My legs needed a rest. Be forewarned, one can do a lot of walking on these ships, 10 to 15 thousand steps some days. That's probably why I only put on a couple of pounds.

I can't comment on other cruise lines, but HAL and the Volendam exceeded our expectations. We're now looking to do another cruise on the Volendam, somewhere, anywhere.

One of our stops was Skagway. If you stop there, it's a pretty cool town, and take the trip on the White Pass Railway.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Lady tehMa wrote: Feb 5th, 2024, 9:56 pm Mom and Sibs have booked us a cruise in August, Inside Passage. Princess Cruises - and it is my very first one.

What do I need to know?
If you feel the boat slow down on a sea day, get to a deck and start looking for spouts or dolphins

Scenic cruising one of the glaciers should be good in August, but this is where you'll need warm clothes.

I prefer MDR over buffet. Embarkation day will be nuts as everyone will be looking for food/drinks as they board.

Roundtrip Seattle or Vancouver?

Do you have a plus package or going without?

Looking to go heavy excursion or find ways to save money?
Last edited by LordEd on Feb 12th, 2024, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If you happen to have money to burn then why not book a cruise to Antarctica.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Referrals”