Moving company vs. you haul?

Business and professional recommendations.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Moving company vs. Uhaul?

Post by grammafreddy »

I did some quick calls to moving companies recently. 200 miles, just the load and unload and driving there and back - over $2500. Ouch.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

grammafreddy wrote:I did some quick calls to moving companies recently. 200 miles, just the load and unload and driving there and back - over $2500. Ouch.

However, if you're moving for employment I believe there are more than a few tax return deductions that can be made.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Thanks again for the responses everyone and I'll look into that other site as well, thanks CA.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
givenrfarm
Board Meister

Re: Moving company vs. you haul?

Post by givenrfarm »

In 2010, I moved 4 adults from 4 homes from Calgary to Kelowna in my horse trailer. They paid me $1500 to do it. I gave them the dimentions of the trailer and told them that the price included every possible thing they could fit into it.

I filled the trailer with two horses going to Calgary at $700 to pay for the trip there and back in fuel and hotel. The furniture haul paid for my truck's new transmission installation I had done the month prior.

So, the risk they took with me, I had only insurance to cover my personal belongings, not theirs. They had to just trust me that I was a reputable/safe driver that their belongings wouldn't be damaged. (honestly, I wound up scratching up a dresser on delivery which I compensated them for)

Put an ad up. See who's going to Kelowna from Calgary empty. You may find someone who is more than happy to fill the truck/trailer you have up on the back haul. Would certainly pay for the move for you guys. My deal was that I dropped the trailer off, they loaded, and I drove it away the following day, delivered it to their new home, and they took two days to unload it.

There's way's of moving super cheap. Just remember.. Is it really worth taking up $50 in space in a truck for a sofa that cost $20 at a yard sale? Calgary has Kijiji and Craigslist, it's usually cheaper to buy new stuff than to move it.

(no, i'm not hauling anymore-sold the trailer)
Chrome, cowboy boots, and a license does not, a professional driver make!
Horse, cowboy hat, and pick-up truck, does not, a cowboy make!
Twenty grand, twenty miles, and two tattoos, does not, a biker make!
alisvolatpropriis
Fledgling

Post by alisvolatpropriis »

grammafreddy wrote:I did some quick calls to moving companies recently. 200 miles, just the load and unload and driving there and back - over $2500. Ouch.

Yep I am in the same boat going to Edmonton, Got a quote from big steel box and it was about $2200....Holy moses.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

alisvolatpropriis wrote:

Yep I am in the same boat going to Edmonton, Got a quote from big steel box and it was about $2200....Holy moses.

Yah the quotes came in for me as well:

roughly $3800 for a moving company
$2500 secure rite
$2200ish bigsteelbox

So Uhaul it is! Thanks again for all the suggestions though everyone.
alisvolatpropriis
Fledgling

Post by alisvolatpropriis »

Oxl3y wrote:
alisvolatpropriis wrote:

Yah the quotes came in for me as well:

roughly $3800 for a moving company
$2500 secure rite
$2200ish bigsteelbox

So Uhaul it is! Thanks again for all the suggestions though everyone.

How much were you quoted with uhaul?
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

alisvolatpropriis wrote:How much were you quoted with uhaul?

A 20' truck just under $600 + gas +$69 insurance (optional) you have the truck for 3 days and you get 700miles
A 26' truck over $600 under $700 can't remember specifically.

Apparently they are similar to car rental places where the price will vary depending on the head office so they recommend calling and reserving a truck to lock in a price.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

If you're pulling a car behind the U-Haul remember to put the car's heater on recirculate or you could end up with a car interior that smells of diesel exhaust for weeks after. DAMHIK
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

OffRoad wrote:If you're pulling a car behind the U-Haul remember to put the car's heater on recirculate or you could end up with a car interior that smells of diesel exhaust for weeks after. DAMHIK

Ooh good to know but due to some complications (namely a family trip with a flight booked out of kelowna, so pleasant complications) I will be driving the truck then busing/flying back to kelowna. So I can leave my car here and drive it out to calgary after my vay kay.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Oxl3y wrote:
alisvolatpropriis wrote:How much were you quoted with uhaul?

A 20' truck just under $600 + gas +$69 insurance (optional) you have the truck for 3 days and you get 700miles
A 26' truck over $600 under $700 can't remember specifically.

I'd be very careful around that - every time I rented vehicles, my bill always ended up more than their website claimed.
I would add few more days for your rental - loading everything one day, driving another day, and unloading next day - that's a tight schedule. Still, you're looking just shy of $1000 vs. $2200 for renting a box.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
notbornyesterday

Post by notbornyesterday »

Just a note from Kamloops: ABSOLUTELY make sure you have the truck booked before hand. When we moved locally,
we could not find a van to rent at all, due to all the local moving companies using rental trucks for moving at the end of
of the month. Instead of buying their own trucks, they use rentals for the busy periods. CONFIRM, CONFIRM, CONFIRM.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'd be very careful around that - every time I rented vehicles, my bill always ended up more than their website claimed.

I agree, very, very careful, as a result of necessity I rented just a regular Ford van a while back, opting to go with the ones I kept seeing $19.95 a day, written on.

Let's just say that $19.95 turned into more along the lines of $99.95 a day, once the mandatory insurance, and other extras were tabulated. I think I paid more in those five days for insurance than I pay in the whole year on my half ton, and I'm a goldstar, heaven forbid if I had to pay as a bad driver. :200:

To this day I still think that's a crock. I thought that was what RoadStar was all about. Didn't have the ambition to look into it further though.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
jnsh8su

Post by jnsh8su »

We too have just moved to Calgary and I HIGHLY recommend Big Steel Box - the staff are all awesome and the containers are clean and secure. From start to finish it will be about $1850 for the big steel box (including drop offs and pick ups on each end) and was $380 for the movers to load it on the Kelowna end. Big Steel Box is storing it until we are ready for it, and when we are it is delivered and we can unload at our leisure!

It is the perfect solution, especially if you need the short term storage component. Very impressed with my experience - so at the very least I wanted to give kudos to them! :sunshine:

Good luck with your move and whatever way you decide!
:-)
Secure-Rite

Post by Secure-Rite »

no spam please! thanks! ferri

Return to “Referrals”