Schools and areas to live?

Business and professional recommendations.
doogie88

Schools and areas to live?

Post by doogie88 »

Hello
I'm starting to look into moving to Kelowna. I understand it's expensive, and it's a nice place to live. But what it's hard to find info on is areas in Kelowna, and schools for kids. I came across one site that gives school ratings: http://britishcolumbia.compareschoolran ... nName.aspx

Couple with good ratings. A lot with not very good ratings. A lot of Christian schools, which I'd rather not.

How are the elementary/middle schools there?

This one has a pretty good rating but it seems pretty far south of the main area: Anne McClymont Elementary Public 4489 Lakeshore Rd

I plan on visiting of course, and we dont' plan on moving for another year or more, but just trying to learn more. I see the West (I have family there). Is that it's own little area away from main areas? THen I see the main Kelowna town area, then another area to the east a bit. Then some spreading north and some spreading south towards the above school.

Coming from Winnipeg with 600k+, I wouldn't mind being atleast close to busier areas, stores, restaurants, things to do, etc.

Can someoen tell me about the areas and any experience with the schools for kids?

Thanks a lot!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Schools and areas to live?

Post by Lady tehMa »

If you're looking for public schools, my friend had kids in Bankhead/Dr. Knox Middle School and she was for the most part happy. One of her kids is will be attending KSS next year, and so far she's been content with the info packages. Glenmore is a nice area. I prefer Rutland myself. I have my kids in one of the Christian schools and couldn't be happier. The Mission gets really bogged down for traffic, there aren't a lot of routes in or out. That's where Anne McClymont is.

You're smart to plan on visiting, see things for yourself. See what traffic patterns are like certain times of day. Or year. Right now things have amped up as tourist season is upon us.
I haven't failed until I quit.
doogie88

Post by doogie88 »

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Why thsi got moved out of Kelowna to somewhere where very few are going to reply, I have no idea.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It probably got moved because it's not Kelowna "News".

Most areas of Kelowna are nice. Come and look around to get a feel for it before you decide. Remember it does not take long to drive from one side of town to the other as long as you are not crossing the bridge to get to work you will be fine.
My Grand kids attend North Glenmore Elementary and it seems like a good school.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

this has been asked on castanet before... check these out...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12790

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19238

as for the fraser institute's school ratings.... right wing funded "think tank", flawed research based on a flawed test score equals private school system bias. if you want to know which schools are best, go visit the school, multiple times, and talk with the teachers and administrators about their school and what they offer.
doogie88

Post by doogie88 »

Thanks.
May not be news, but the first post right now is asking aobut living downtown.
THen another about cats. And so on and son on.

Return to “Referrals”