Fee for service financial advisor

Business and professional recommendations.
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Fee for service financial advisor

Post by exFarmerS »

Has anyone ever used someone they could recommend? Tired of advisors that are tied to one set of products.
Thanks.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Fee for service financial advisor

Post by Bsuds »

You could use a financial service such as a Bank like RBC who's advisers do not take a fee from you.
They have some very good advisers there.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

If you check out the housing threads, there are a couple of "financial advisors" there who could help you if you PM them.

Of course, if you own a house as part of your assets, you may not want to read much about what they think of you. :biggrin:

There is a guy in town who does fee for service and did columns in the Globe and Mail about fixing people's financial situations. I forget his name.
Or, if your Google is broke, you can use someone else's. :130:

Edited to add: here is a link http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fee+for+service+financial+advisor+kelowna
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I thought he was trying to avoid those fee for service guys but I could be wrong.

Haven't seen/read too many posts that impress me from any of Castanuts so called financial experts! lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. I'm looking for recommendations on "fee for service" advisors. I've done the Google thing but want to know if anyone has some experience with them.

I would rather pay for advice upfront and get something impartial rather than have someone who is earning commissions on the products they're pushing.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Bsuds wrote:You could use a financial service such as a Bank like RBC who's advisers do not take a fee from you.
They have some very good advisers there.

RBC Advisors, and all bank advisors, do indeed "take a fee from you". This has to be one of the biggest myths in Canadian investing. Their branch level advisors are salaried, true, but the funds they offer have similar management costs to many other investment product in Canada. Just because you don't see it on the statement doesn't mean the fee isn't there.

The regulations are changing this year, and your December 31 statements will show you a dollar amount as to what you paid your advisor and their "dealership". While it doesn't show the management cost, it shows the trailing commission or fees your advisory group receives.

Contrary to popular perception, most advisors and planners in Canada are not tied to any specific product or investment. Trailer fees are pretty standard, and the net invested amount to qualify for negotiated fee accounts continue to come down, where the investor and advisor come to a signed agreement before the initial investment of what the fees will be.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

We have been using John Ranney from Sunlife for about 10 years and have done very well with him.

Return to “Referrals”