Foam vs Pocket spring vs Latex Mattress

Business and professional recommendations.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Foam vs Pocket spring vs Latex Mattress

Post by kelownman »

I am looking for a new mattress, something that supports my aging body, provides relief from an aching back, and provides excellent temperature control that can dissipate the body heat.

Foam mattress provide body support in all the right places relieving any pressure points that might cause aches and pains, but they also produce nasty off gasses that might be a health risk.

Latex mattress provide all the advantages of a foam mattress but do not produce any off gases, but may not provide pressure point relief that a foam mattress does.

Pocket coil mattress have none of advantages of a foam or latex mattress, but are most likely cheaper than either the foam or latex mattress.

Price range for foam and latex mattress are from $1200 to $5000.

Given that the mattress must provide excellent support, dissipate and control body heat, what do you find is the best mattress out there, where did you buy it, how much was it, did you haggle the price and by how much? TIA for any and all advice!
slootman
Übergod

Re: Foam vs Pocket spring vs Latex Mattress

Post by slootman »

Memory foam and the like will be hotter than coil spring. Also more expensive. If that's a concern, steer away. Best bang for your buck is a high quality pocket coil with the right amount of padding for your taste. Try a few out and decide for yourself, it's a personal thing.

Majestic mattress near hwy33 and leathead have pretty competitive prices.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I bought the Endy Mattress. It's Canadian made too which I liked.

I got it last year in the middle of that whole "mattress in a box" thing. My queen came to a whopping $735 with tax (free shipping) and it has a 100 day trial period. If you don't like it within that 3+ months you get your money back and they come and pick up your mattress.

As someone who travels a lot for business, I've literally slept on hundreds of different mattresses. I can say honestly that I've never once woken up sore from this bed.

For the trial period you really can't lose.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I have a latex one and never really loved it but I could sleep ok still. I just bought a mattress topper from Costco and it's great. So comfortable and way cooler to sleep on.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nothing beats a water bed.... Okay, maybe not... I have foam. I figure that if I keep at least 3 of my 5 windows cracked in my bedroom that it takes care of the off-gassing.

P.S. Isn't memory foam still foam? Don't all mattresses have foam?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Thanks always sunny for the recommendation of the Endy. I googled it to see what it said, from "independent reviews"..

https://www.sleepcupid.com/mattress-rev ... ss-review/

https://sleepopolis.com/mattress-review ... ss-review/

Since I am over 200 lbs, according to sleepopolis, there may be more "sinking" into the mattress than I would prefer. But the cost is relatively cheap at $850 for queen. There is some "offgasses" too, but according to the manufacturer it is less than .5 parts per million low VOC and it is CertPur-US certified (whatever that really means)

JLIVES, what brand of latex mattress did you get? How thick is the mattress? This is most likely what I will end up buying, albeit the price is steep. I was looking at the "ironman pure energy series" that range in price from $1588 to $4598 that is purported to be "the best health mattress I have sold in 30 years"
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've slept on coil mattresses - that's what we had growing up and in every hotel I stay at, plus at my parents. I used to be able to sleep on them, now I ache for a few hours when I wake up.

I've slept on a waterbed - my husband loved them and I never really could get quite comfortable. Being pregnant and sleeping on an unbaffled waterbed was a nightmare. Despite the wool mattress pad I always felt a little cold.

After the waterbed we had a foam insert for a number of years. That was okay, but the foam gets tired and you have to flip it yearly, and then it just sort of gives up. Plus I found it hot. Then husband was gifted with an intact bladder so we went back to the waterbed. It never really worked for me.

So then we went to mattress mattress and tried all sorts of beds on the showroom. We ended up buying a latex bed and latex mattress topper. After 4 years I have just turned the mattress topper.

My husband is well over 200lbs and I am about 200. He found the bed "hard" at first, and now finds it better that he's broken it in. It offers good support while being soft.

Don't think you'll be flipping this on your own, though. The two large guys who delivered it and put it in place were huffing and puffing and muttering "I :cuss: ing HATE these things". This is the heaviest mattress I've ever owned. When I do flip it finally, I'll be getting my son and 3 of his friends to do so.

We have a Queen and it is a foot high, plus the 2 inch mattress topper. You add in the boxspring and a short person would have to hop to get on (unless it was directly on the floor and not on a frame). We invested in the special cover for it, and got the pillows too. Husband loves the pillows, I still use a chiropractic pillow.

I personally love the latex. Husband is less than a fan - but will choose it over the futon :biggrin: It was also blessed expensive. All in, I think we paid about $6000.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

kelownman wrote:Thanks always sunny for the recommendation of the Endy. I googled it to see what it said, from "independent reviews"..

https://www.sleepcupid.com/mattress-rev ... ss-review/

https://sleepopolis.com/mattress-review ... ss-review/

Since I am over 200 lbs, according to sleepopolis, there may be more "sinking" into the mattress than I would prefer. But the cost is relatively cheap at $850 for queen. There is some "offgasses" too, but according to the manufacturer it is less than .5 parts per million low VOC and it is CertPur-US certified (whatever that really means)

JLIVES, what brand of latex mattress did you get? How thick is the mattress? This is most likely what I will end up buying, albeit the price is steep. I was looking at the "ironman pure energy series" that range in price from $1588 to $4598 that is purported to be "the best health mattress I have sold in 30 years"

I also checked out a lot of independent reviews myself, particularly those comparing it to the other bed in a box companies like Casper and Leesa. For me, I chose Endy because it was reviewed on the softer side compared to some of the others. That said, I don't find it overly soft, and I used to have a pillow top coil mattress.

In your case I suggest it because of the trial/return policy. Worst case scenario, if you hate it you can easily get your money back. Best case, you've paid about 1/3 of what a lot of other similar mattresses go for. My best friend has bought and exchanged several $3000 mattresses locally (I didn't even know you could) which was why I took the chance on this one. Cost didn't seem to guarantee a better product.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Always Sunny, I agree with you that Endy is a good option, is relatively cheap and if I don't like it I can send it back with a full refund ( or at least that is what they claim)

I also found another online mattress place, same as endy, but is in the US called Bear mattress. They have one of the features that the Ironman has, in particular the Celliant technology. ( I am beginning to think Celliant is all hype and is part of the marketing ploy) https://www.bearmattress.ca/pages/technology
A review is here, https://www.mattressclarity.com/reviews/bear-mattress/
The downside of this mattress, like the Endy, is it uses memory foam.

I found a good resource, https://www.themattressunderground.com/ that talks about the various materials used in mattresses. They also have a forum for users to talk about mattresses. :biggrin: I have only scanned some of the material but it seems to provide good information. On the forum they even talk about a Kelowna outfit, http://www.sleepys.ca/mattresses.html , where the owner, geoff, is highly regarded by at least one of the forum admins.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Getting the mattress, the ironman, delivered hopefully friday from sleepys. Free delivery and removal of the old box spring and mattress.

Got a free mattress pad ;) purported to be a $250 value...but the big thing is I have a 120 nights to try the mattress out and if I dont like it I can get a replacement of an equal value latex mattress.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

kelownman wrote:Getting the mattress, the ironman, delivered hopefully friday from sleepys. Free delivery and removal of the old box spring and mattress.

Got a free mattress pad ;) purported to be a $250 value...but the big thing is I have a 120 nights to try the mattress out and if I dont like it I can get a replacement of an equal value latex mattress.

Hope it works out for you, KM. If you find it a bit too hard, we have a bed in a spare room with a coil mattress that's a bit like sleeping on concrete. We got a 3" eggshell topper and now it's amazing to sleep on -- our company always raves about it. We bought a camper with a queen coil mattress that wasn't great -- put a 3" eggshell topper on it, and now it's more comfortable than our bed in the house. So bear that in mind as a relatively inexpensive 'final adjustment'.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Lady tehMa wrote:I've slept on a waterbed - my husband loved them and I never really could get quite comfortable. Being pregnant and sleeping on an unbaffled waterbed was a nightmare. Despite the wool mattress pad I always felt a little cold.

LOL...! This sure brought back memories. I moved out of the nest when I was 18 (in the mid-60's) into Vancouver to attend college. Being broke, I bought the least expensive bed I could find -- a double waterbed, purchased at 'Wet Dream Waterbeds', located on Water Street, in Vancouver. (Can't find any reference to this long-gone company on line, but I'll swear on a stack of bibles, that it existed.) :smt045

The salesman tried to talk me into buying a heater, but I was tough and decided I didn't need one -- went back and bought it a week later, after waking up, feeling like a side of beef in a cooler -- frozen numb from the thing. I built my own box, and simply put it on the floor of the cheap appartment I was living in. After about six months, it became apparent that the weight of the thing was causing a big depression in the floor of the bedroom, causing a gap between the floor and under the walls on either side. The decision to get rid of it came soon after.

I discovered why the business was called 'Wet Dream Waterbeds', when I awoke in the middle of the night, nearly drowning. A seam had let go, and I was literally submerged in water -- it was like sleeping in a wading pool. Fortunately, I had taken the salesman's advice and bought a liner. That was that -- when the mess was cleaned up, went and bought a 2nd hand bed from a junk store.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Brangor

Post by Brangor »

kelownman wrote:Thanks always sunny for the recommendation of the Endy. I googled it to see what it said, from "independent reviews"..with TOP 5 Best Memory Foam Mattresses Reviews 2017-2018

https://happysleepyhead.com/best-memory-foam-mattress/

"that range in price from $1588 to $4598" - somehow very expensive, I recently saw a lower price on the Amazon. :135:
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

buy it from costco and you can return them. tried a memory foam, hated it so i returned it. bought a pocket coil from costco, and it was junk. Sent it back. ended up buying a hastens mattress and its been pretty good after about 2 years (a bit pricey though). i also was struggling with a back that hurt every morning. I invested in a inversion table and its the best $300 bucks i have ever spent. Back has never felt so good.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Learn to rope a bed, and then you’ll be able to sleep tight :-)

http://countrybed.com/ancillary_pages/reference/Rope.shtml
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Referrals”