Reliable Kitchen Range?

Business and professional recommendations.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Reliable Kitchen Range?

Post by alanjh595 »

The problem with cooking with cast on a glass top is not that it will break, but that the cast will scratch the glass. I don't even shake my regular pans if they are in contact with the glass, I pick them up a little and shake them there. The cast iron is very hard and rough, no matter how careful you might be it will still scratch.

You do know that you can rent those big propane tanks from the gas supplier, right? They will just bill you monthly.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Mama wrote: I can protect the glass from my Cast iron by simply putting down a bit of paper towel.

True but won't protect it from a drop. We put our cast iron away so we didn't have to worry about it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Mama, good luck finding a reliable range these days. I've got a 1953 Moffat double oven in the house back East which is still going strong and the rugrat loves it. The one in this house is a 1999 Viking range which hasn't given me any problems - knock on wood.

If/when I renovate the kitchen, the floor will be reinforced so I can get the Aga 3-oven cast iron stove.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

alanjh595 wrote:
You do know that you can rent those big propane tanks from the gas supplier, right? They will just bill you monthly.

Yes, but the location is the trick right now. My next stove is going to be gas for sure! And with what I have learned I will be spending the extra $$ for a good gas range next time.

Ended up getting the Kitchenaid Double oven with induction top....cost me more $$ of course. :swear:
Lets hope if this one dies on me that it does it before the warranty is up again.

Thanks again everyone. :130:
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Anyone who doesn't have a gas range is a complete and utter loser. In other words, get a gas stove, you will never look back, and the thing will last 50 years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

Glacier wrote:Anyone who doesn't have a gas range is a complete and utter loser. In other words, get a gas stove, you will never look back, and the thing will last 50 years.

Reading is your friend. :130:
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:Anyone who doesn't have a gas range is a complete and utter loser. In other words, get a gas stove, you will never look back, and the thing will last 50 years.

My daughter's stove is gas and approx 6-7 years old and she is having problems with it.

So that is not always true as well as unless your house has the line installed it is very expensive to add it after construction is finished. It is also not always available as in the OP's case.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

My issue with the new gas stoves is the electronics on them.
It's unecessary .
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

My mistake Kitchen aid--never again. Deciding between La Cornue or Wolf to replace. Won't even buy a kitchen aid frying pan after my experience.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Both are excellent choices but rank behind Miele and Thermador.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Mama wrote:

Reading is your friend. :130:

Propane is also gas, and you can have that anywhere.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Glad you got the new range Mama :) But chance were you able to get an extended warranty>
Don't like induction either but seems most ranges have them.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Temet Nosce wrote:My mistake Kitchen aid--never again. Deciding between La Cornue or Wolf to replace. Won't even buy a kitchen aid frying pan after my experience.

Really? Good to know. I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer that I've had about 17 years. Just because a company made a product well some time ago is no guarantee they are making them well now.

My range is a Kenmore with ceramic elements - from 1991. As battered as the thing looks I rue the day when it dies. It's not for cooking quickly but once you get used to its quirks it is a real workhorse.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:Don't like induction either but seems most ranges have them.

I like the induction element on ours. It heats up super fast and the water boils in less than half the time of the other elements.
It's great for simmering too as it is a steady heat and doesn't cycle on and of like the others.

As far as the convection oven is concerned it's a meh! Can take it or leave it. Supposed to cook faster or less heat...BS to that.
It cooks ok but nothing special.

Return to “Referrals”