Reliable Kitchen Range?

Business and professional recommendations.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Reliable Kitchen Range?

Post by Mama »

I had a Whirlpool range that quit at 9months old.
Now need to get a new one. Whirlpool is horrible to deal with.

Any repairmen out there with some insight on whats the least repaired brand?

I need an electric range as I cant have gas. And I bake....lots. So need a good oven.
Also I cook mostly with cast iron so needs a pretty sturdy cooktop.
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Reliable Kitchen Range?

Post by TreeGuy »

One of my recommendations is look in the classifieds. We picked up a stove that was like new for $50. There is a trend right now of people getting rid of appliances because they aren't stainless or they aren't glass top. This especially happens when people buy a new home and the appliances aren't good enough for them. Consumerism at its finest.

I saw my sister turn her nose up at a perfectly good stove in a home she had just bought because it wasn't a glass top. It's like we were raised by different people. I just know she was adopted.

download (1).jpeg
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Radiant coils? Smooth cooktop? Double Oven? Single Oven? Convection/Fan?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

If you are dead set on using Cast Iron on top, DON'T get a glass top! I have one and it is a pain to keep clean. It looks nice and works well, but having to get out the special cleaner every other day and polish that top is a pain. Gawd help you if you have a pot boil over, especially if it is milk.
Frying at high heat creates splatters all over the top. It is like having a Black car, it looks good in the shade but any light on it and it looks like crap. When I buy another one it will be gas, (I know you can't do it) just saying.
As for repairs, they are all the crappy, they pretty much all come from the same factory and they just put a few different details on them and a different brand name. I have a Samsung, it's been good.....not so happy with the matching Microwave and fridge though. I would give serious consideration towards Kitchenaid ( I will, next go round). I am so disappointed at how poorly large kitchen appliances are made these days.
My oven is Convection bake and roast, warming drawer and warming center, (I use the warming center for every meal), great controls and self cleaning. I bought at Coast Appliance near Hyw. 97. You can Google the address. Big showroom and easy to deal with.
Next time, I will spend $6000 on a commercial grade range.
If your budget allows, look at Commercial Restaurant Supply on Enterprise Way. See what they are selling and research the domestic lines of what they have.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

Thanks alanjh595.
I agree on the glass top. The range I am replacing under warranty is the Whirlpool Induction. I love Induction! But the glass top and Cast cookware is a bit stressful. Whirlpool is not longer making the Induction so cant replace it. Couldnt get parts for it either. I have not had a range since Dec 19!!.
Until I can redo some counters and cabinets I cant fit a large range or I would be buying a much higher end unit as well.
I agree, they all seem to be crap now, but am also leaning toward the Kitchenaid as well, but the kitchenaid induction is twice the price!.
Samsung gets good reviews but I hear support and repair are not there yet. If you end up buying something new, dont go with the "Aqualift" Cleaning. its useless.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Kitchen Aide and Whirlpool are the same Mfr.

My daughter is having trouble with her stove/oven as well and I can't remember but I think it is one of those 2 as well.

We have Samsung SS appliances and the stove has one convection spot on top and I really like that but as Alan said it is a *bleep* to clean the glass heating surface. The convection oven I can take or leave. It is supposed to cook faster or at a lower temp but our experience says that's pretty much BS.

As for Stainless surfaces they are a pain to clean and I would be happier with the "old" white surface instead.

As to Samsung appliances in general we have had problems with all of them! Will never buy one again or recommend them to anyone!!!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:Kitchen Aide and Whirlpool are the same Mfr.

My daughter is having trouble with her stove/oven as well and I can't remember but I think it is one of those 2 as well.

We have Samsung SS appliances and the stove has one convection spot on top and I really like that but as Alan said it is a *bleep* to clean the glass heating surface. The convection oven I can take or leave. It is supposed to cook faster or at a lower temp but our experience says that's pretty much BS.

As for Stainless surfaces they are a pain to clean and I would be happier with the "old" white surface instead.

As to Samsung appliances in general we have had problems with all of them! Will never buy one again or recommend them to anyone!!!

I agree with the above. I will NEVER buy Samsung again. They should stick to TVs.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I buy alot of appliances. They are ALL crap unless it's super high end. I would just go by price and stick with Whirlpool or go Frigidaire if you really want induction. Samsung is too gimicky, more things to break down. If you want mid-range your only option is Jenn-Air. I'd also go to Trail and skip the big box stores unless it's Costco.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JLives wrote:I buy alot of appliances. They are ALL crap unless it's super high end. I would just go by price and stick with Whirlpool or go Frigidaire if you really want induction. Samsung is too gimicky, more things to break down. If you want mid-range your only option is Jenn-Air. I'd also go to Trail and skip the big box stores unless it's Costco.

Good advice and suggestions as well.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Mama wrote:I had a Whirlpool range that quit at 9months old.
Now need to get a new one. Whirlpool is horrible to deal with.

Any repairmen out there with some insight on whats the least repaired brand?

I need an electric range as I cant have gas. And I bake....lots. So need a good oven.
Also I cook mostly with cast iron so needs a pretty sturdy cooktop.

I will never buy Kitchen Aid again (or Whirlpool as Bsuds pointed out same manufacturer). Bought all Kitchenaid and nothing but problems and they won't stand behind their products. Duel fuel range and had to have repaired after a short time--self clean in most duel fuel Kitchenaid commercial ranges goes too hot and causes them to overheat and fry the control panel. A little research online will expose the huge numbers of people that spent tens of thousands on Kitchenaid appliances and many many complaints.
Depends on your budget for a new range but IMO steer clear of kitchenaid and whirlpool--garbage. Personally I would buy from Costco if they have any you like.. check online more options.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Mama wrote:I had a Whirlpool range that quit at 9months old.

Where did you buy it (hopefully not Sears) and is it not still covered by warranty?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

A problem is so many diff brands are really same company. Why don't you want gas btw? Only stove I would have. I have had various brands, so far ( touch wood) Fridgaire Professional Series best. Plus side business is slow for many places you should be about to get a good deal.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It can be really expensive to install a line to the kitchen if it's not there all ready. Or maybe no gas to the house at all.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

This one would last a lifetime in a residential situation.

Capture.JPG
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

Thanks for all the replies folks. Good info.
I have been doing so much research over the past month, and its all crap these days.
The reason I am going to go with Kitchenaid is because my Induction whirlpool range, died while under warranty.
Problem is, they quit making the Induction range....hmmm wonder why :135:

I am dealing with Ashley ( not Sears thank goodness) I was hoping that maybe I could just use the $$ to replace the stove with another brand they sell, thus the question.
Since I need to stay within the company for my replacement my only option is the Kitchenaid. Today I will find out if they are going to replace my range with another Induction.

I cant have a gas range because I live way out in the sticks. Someday I will get a large propane tank and a big range made by a company that makes its own range, with its own parts. I believe Miele still does. ( Dream kitchen reno/lottery win? )

For anyone wondering about Induction, one of the good things about it, is I can protect the glass from my Cast iron by simply putting down a bit of paper towel. It wont interfere with the cooking, wont burn, and catches splatter. Induction is fast like cooking with gas. But the glass top with heavy cast is just asking for a crack. .....did I mention I cook with wine? :biggrin:

Return to “Referrals”