Window Replacement

Business and professional recommendations.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Window Replacement

Post by youjustcomplain »

Hey all, outside of just calling up a random window dealer in town, are there any that have stood out with the best quality products and service?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Window Replacement

Post by Queen K »

We have had no issues or problems with our windows and we got them 14 years ago or so.

Centra Windows. :up: :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We had 4 windows replaced by a local contractor last year. We replaced the Kitchen window, 2 bedroom windows and a Bathroom window. So nothing very large. They had wood frames and were getting pretty bad from the Sun beating on them. It was under $3500.00 for all 4 incl tax.

The the windows they supplied were from Berdick in Penticton.

I am happy with the results.

If you want info on the contractor then PM me and I will send it to you.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'm in the process of making plans for our windows to be redone. I asked two places for quotes.

In both instances, I asked for the quote to be in 3 parts: 3 upstairs, all upstairs, then both upstairs and downstairs.

Rutland Glass: very friendly. Double booked and then rescheduled me. Was on time, again, very friendly. Took notes when he took measurements. Took over a week to get the quote to me (probably really busy and it's not like we're in a hurry) but the quote was for all the house and not broken down. I emailed back asking for the breakdown I had originally asked for - crickets. Not a word, that was two weeks ago. Started the process with them on Aug. 3rd.

Centra Windows: recommended by a coworker, as well as by a friend on the forums. Got back to me immediately, after I had emailed in a request (seriously, filled out a form online at 6 am, 9 am I had a call on my cell). Booked me for a time. Emailed me the day before to confirm (I prefer email to phone). Fellow showed up on time. Also took notes. Sent me the quote that night, in the breakdown I had asked for. Quote was less expensive than Rutland Glass.

To add, my coworker has exceedingly high standards and stated that she has never had a more polite or professional contracting crew in her home than when she had her windows done - and that's saying something. They made sure everything was perfect and left her place spotless.

We'll be going with Centra when we figure the money aspect out. There was $4000 between the two quotes.
I haven't failed until I quit.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Thank you everyone. :)
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Gut r dun. They do good work. Call Darren
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'm in need of window and right now there is a Government incentive.

I read about Centra and would like more impute on others. Has anyone used Skyline Windows? They seem to be the competition to Centra.

Please advise!! Thanks
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

There should be two parts to this thread.

The glass shops who install windows and the window manufacturers

In my case I own a 12 year old house, that I've owned for 10 years. All the windows are twin seal argon filled.

So far 26% of the windows have failed. (the twin seal has leaked, at first in the winter you notice fogging between the two pieces of glass, eventually mold or whatever forms inside)

Replacement panes can be installed. My local glass shop in Summerland when slow, will build their own, when busy they purchase from a wholesalers. How many think to ask : "Who made the windows/panes ?"

All mine started to fail just after the 10 year warrantee. They windows were made in Kelowna.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

my5cents wrote:There should be two parts to this thread.

The glass shops who install windows and the window manufacturers

In my case I own a 12 year old house, that I've owned for 10 years. All the windows are twin seal argon filled.

So far 26% of the windows have failed. (the twin seal has leaked, at first in the winter you notice fogging between the two pieces of glass, eventually mold or whatever forms inside)

Replacement panes can be installed. My local glass shop in Summerland when slow, will build their own, when busy they purchase from a wholesalers. How many think to ask : "Who made the windows/panes ?"

All mine started to fail just after the 10 year warrantee. They windows were made in Kelowna.

Have you done anything yet?? Currently Government has a incentive of $200.00 per window. As long as the companys don't jack their prices one might get every 4th one free.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:Have you done anything yet?? Currently Government has a incentive of $200.00 per window. As long as the companys don't jack their prices one might get every 4th one free.

Thanks Ken, but to qualify for the incentive the windows have to be upgrades, mine are just replacements. 75% were done last year. I didn't do any this year, as they keep failing, so next year I'll do whatever windows have failed by then.

I've owned my share of houses and never had one twin seal fail little lone the number I've seen so far. Since last summer, three more have gone, so I'm guessing by next summer I'll need half a dozen, the three that are now gone and likely three more.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

my5cents wrote:
Thanks Ken, but to qualify for the incentive the windows have to be upgrades, mine are just replacements. 75% were done last year. I didn't do any this year, as they keep failing, so next year I'll do whatever windows have failed by then.

I've owned my share of houses and never had one twin seal fail little lone the number I've seen so far. Since last summer, three more have gone, so I'm guessing by next summer I'll need half a dozen, the three that are now gone and likely three more.

I do realize they must be upgrades. I have interviewed one installer and had a quote. Is $2450.00 high to have a less then $500.00 door put in? Asking for a friend.

Has anyone who read this ordered windeow themselves and took the time to install them?? Asking for my friend.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

We received a quote for two exterior doors from 'Centra' in Victoria who contract for Home Depot. Our quote came in at $8700 minus a discount to $7500. We thought, holeeeee moleeee Batman, is that what doors cost these days, with a discount? We then checked two other companies for quotes. A certain kelowna company uses the same catalog as Centra and they quoted us on the exact same two doors with installation (and I mean exact) which came in at $3975. SO, do some companies markup stuff up? Yup, for sure.
Mind you, these are $1500 doors with exotic locks so installation is not the bulk of the cost. Centra was just about double the cost.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Jlabute wrote:We received a quote for two exterior doors from 'Centra' in Victoria who contract for Home Depot. Our quote came in at $8700 minus a discount to $7500. We thought, holeeeee moleeee Batman, is that what doors cost these days, with a discount? We then checked two other companies for quotes. A certain kelowna company uses the same catalog as Centra and they quoted us on the exact same two doors with installation (and I mean exact) which came in at $3975. SO, do some companies markup stuff up? Yup, for sure.
Mind you, these are $1500 doors with exotic locks so installation is not the bulk of the cost. Centra was just about double the cost.

WOW...just for the lights? The kind that have a frame around them and installed in a door?

Give me a PM, the lights are not worth any more than $200....tops. The most difficult part is getting the old ones out.

Maybe you have some strange situation, but locks should NOT have any relevance to the glass.
Bring back the LIKE button.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Jlabute go on FB marketplace and say what you want and what your price range is, show some pics...you would be surprised how much cheaper it will be and how many small businesses or qualified Tradespeople out there that would be more than happy for a cash job..social media is great for stuff like this..you never know what someone has in their boneyard..
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

W105 wrote:Jlabute go on FB marketplace and say what you want and what your price range is, show some pics...you would be surprised how much cheaper it will be and how many small businesses or qualified Tradespeople out there that would be more than happy f
That or a cash job..social media is great for stuff like this..you never know what someone has in their boneyard..

Buy a product that someone else didn't want, is flawed, and others don't want.
Then find a qualified and experienced person to install it. Have a legal company that will honour a warrantee and work for cash?
That is the type of work and product that one can expect from FB.

How would it be if we all hired plumbers and electricians that way?
Used pipe and wire, installed by unlicensed handymen.

What happens when there is a leak or fire? We are not talking about a guy to fix the fence here.

Buy junk, get junk.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Referrals”