Costco tire center ?

Business and professional recommendations.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Costco tire center ?

Post by MAPearce »

stevemic wrote:People need to build a relationship with an automotive shop that they trust, that way you can go there for all things related to your vehicle, i can guarantee there are no 3 week waiting lists at your local shop, and as lots of people in these forms put it you are supporting local businesses not american businesses

Agreed ... We use Certified Automotive in Westbank ...

But I change the wheels in the driveway after they mounts and balance them .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Try BIG O - West Kelowna

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

stevemic wrote:People need to build a relationship with an automotive shop that they trust, that way you can go there for all things related to your vehicle, i can guarantee there are no 3 week waiting lists at your local shop, and as lots of people in these forms put it you are supporting local businesses not american businesses

I found a gem of a service shop..BigO tire on the Westside just south of Daimler on Hwy97 (frontage rd -Old Ok Highway)

an HONEST shop where they know what they're doing..same day service and tires and cheaper than CDN tire and so on.
I brought an Alberta car in for the BC inspection..they did it the SAME DAY (no APPT) and for about half of what CDN tire quoted

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 12th, 2019, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Negative business review
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 12th, 2019, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Neg business review. You know better.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

well the same tires at Costco and install with rims found it still cheaper at the Bannister Chev/GM by around $28.92. But the thing is that I cant tell is if the install of the tires at costco is Blanced and mounted....or just mounted. The Chev will Mount and balance with install.

but it seems if you want RIMS from Costco. Its a pain in the *bleep* to get because they offload you to someone else.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Symbonite wrote:well the same tires at Costco and install with rims found it still cheaper at the Bannister Chev/GM by around $28.92. But the thing is that I cant tell is if the install of the tires at costco is Blanced and mounted....or just mounted. The Chev will Mount and balance with install.

but it seems if you want RIMS from Costco. Its a pain in the *bleep* to get because they offload you to someone else.

You can order rims from Costco Online, however, they will be shipped to your home. If you are buying tires from Costco to put on the rims, you might have trouble coordinating the arrival of the wheels at your home and the tires at the store. They will only keep the tires in the store for 10 days after they arrive (if they are a size they don't stock)

I had the additional problem that one of the wheels in the boxes was incorrect.

Seems to take an inordinate length of time to install the new wheels/tires. Maybe that's by design so you will spend more in the store, while waiting.

I think they always include the balancing. They also install with nitrogen, which isn't a big deal.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I had issues getting my snow tires mounted on my winter rims at Costco too, but lets take a step back. It's tires on your car. So what if it takes time for them to do it? It takes them time due to the volume of people needing it done. Plan ahead, or change your own tires.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

youjustcomplain wrote:I had issues getting my snow tires mounted on my winter rims at Costco too, but lets take a step back. It's tires on your car. So what if it takes time for them to do it? It takes them time due to the volume of people needing it done. Plan ahead, or change your own tires.

It takes better time management on behalf of the tire centres. If you make an appointment, you bring your car in for the allotted time agreed upon and the shop needs to do the same. There is zero excuse of having a customer make an appointment for 900am and not having the car ready until 400pm other than poor time management.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

OKkayak wrote:It takes better time management on behalf of the tire centres. If you make an appointment, you bring your car in for the allotted time agreed upon and the shop needs to do the same. There is zero excuse of having a customer make an appointment for 900am and not having the car ready until 400pm other than poor time management.

Give that same statement re: any Doctor's office.
Strangely ive never had a dental appointment not get me in on time ...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

When you are doing mechanical work there is always the unexpected that happens.

Same with Doctors. One of the few times my Dr was late for an appointment was when a patient had a heart attack in his office.

Excrement occurs.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

½
soupy wrote:Give that same statement re: any Doctor's office.

Sorry soupy, I have to agree with OKkayak.

You are comparing apples to 2 X 4's.

I call the doctor's office ask for an appointment they give me one. No questions asked regarding why. Each appointment may be complicated or may be short, also the same for others before me, thus my 11:00 AM appointment may not be til 11:20 AM.

I get my teeth cleaned, there are only so many teeth, they clean them. When I see the dentist, she may finds something wrong, she then makes an appointment for me at a later date knowing very well what she will be doing at the next appointment.

Installing wheels, are just that installing wheels. If they are re and re'ing tires onto rims, again they know what it entails.

I change my summer wheels/tires to my winter wheels/tires in my driveway, with a floor jack (ie, one wheel up at a time) it takes me about ½ hour to ¾ hour. When Costco did it (for free after screwing up the tire install in the fall) it took 3 hours. Yes, I had a 9:30 appointment (the time they open). So how far should they be behind when I'm one of about, what, 6 appointments scheduled for 9:30 ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

my5cents wrote:½
soupy wrote:Give that same statement re: any Doctor's office.

Sorry soupy, I have to agree with OKkayak.

You are comparing apples to 2 X 4's.

I call the doctor's office ask for an appointment they give me one. No questions asked regarding why. Each appointment may be complicated or may be short, also the same for others before me, thus my 11:00 AM appointment may not be til 11:20 AM.

I get my teeth cleaned, there are only so many teeth, they clean them. When I see the dentist, she may finds something wrong, she then makes an appointment for me at a later date knowing very well what she will be doing at the next appointment.

Installing wheels, are just that installing wheels. If they are re and re'ing tires onto rims, again they know what it entails.

I change my summer wheels/tires to my winter wheels/tires in my driveway, with a floor jack (ie, one wheel up at a time) it takes me about ½ hour to ¾ hour. When Costco did it (for free after screwing up the tire install in the fall) it took 3 hours. Yes, I had a 9:30 appointment (the time they open). So how far should they be behind when I'm one of about, what, 6 appointments scheduled for 9:30 ?

It's fine you do not agree. But we are comparing appointments and service. A tire appointment could get more complicated as well.
In fact, my appointment time/schedule with my tire shop (Mazda) has always been much more reliable that any appointment with my previous family Doctor. (now retired)

Of note, my winter tires were put on September 30th, an appointment i made mid-August (at Mazda's suggestion as they know how hectic it gets.)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

soupy wrote:It's fine you do not agree. But we are comparing appointments and service. A tire appointment could get more complicated as well.
In fact, my appointment time/schedule with my tire shop (Mazda) has always been much more reliable that any appointment with my previous family Doctor. (now retired)

Of note, my winter tires were put on September 30th, an appointment i made mid-August (at Mazda's suggestion as they know how hectic it gets.)

There can always be a delay in any appointment, however I was suggesting that some appointments are more commonly late and others aren't.

When it comes to mechanical appointments, generally my expectations have been realized with most shops, the exception has been Costco's Tire Centre.

When, one has the first appointment in the day and a one hour job takes 3 hours, something is wrong. You can read my earlier post. My experience with Costco's Tire centre was less than spectacular both in getting the products, having the two products (tires and wheels) joined and then installed on the vehicle and then the winter wheels/tires being switched to the summer wheels/tires. Then after completion learning that I didn't save a cent for all the effort.

Had, I ordered wheels and tires at a tire store, the tire store would have acquired the products and likely could have had them readied (mounted). Before my appointment.

Had one of the wheels been the wrong one, I would expect they would have dealt with that internally. I certainly wouldn't have been given the one wheel, sent around the building, required to obtain a refund, then re-order, online, a new wheel, receive the wheel at home and then schedule another appointment to have that remaining wheel installed.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

@ my5cents

I used Royal Mobile Tire this time around, and am so impressed, I see no logical reason, as to why I'd waste a day at a tire shop waiting.

I had a 2pm appointment on Friday, and the guy showed up about 1:59pm, then I had four wheels mounted and balanced, existing wheels removed from truck, new ones installed, all in about 40 minutes, with a tab of $90 to boot.

That's far better than anything a tire shop has ever done for me, and I've tried quite a few over the years.

I highly recommend this option.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

my5cents wrote:
soupy wrote:It's fine you do not agree. But we are comparing appointments and service. A tire appointment could get more complicated as well.

There can always be a delay in any appointment, however I was suggesting that some appointments are more commonly late and others aren't.

When it comes to mechanical appointments, generally my expectations have been realized with most shops, the exception has been Costco's Tire Centre.

When, one has the first appointment in the day and a one hour job takes 3 hours, something is wrong. You can read my earlier post. My experience with Costco's Tire centre was less than spectacular both in getting the products, having the two products (tires and wheels) joined and then installed on the vehicle and then the winter wheels/tires being switched to the summer wheels/tires. Then after completion learning that I didn't save a cent for all the effort.

Had, I ordered wheels and tires at a tire store, the tire store would have acquired the products and likely could have had them readied (mounted). Before my appointment.

Had one of the wheels been the wrong one, I would expect they would have dealt with that internally. I certainly wouldn't have been given the one wheel, sent around the building, required to obtain a refund, then re-order, online, a new wheel, receive the wheel at home and then schedule another appointment to have that remaining wheel installed.

I suggest you find a new tire shop then if you are not happy with Costco
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

soupy wrote:I suggest you find a new tire shop then if you are not happy with Costco

Bingo, while it can be a decent place to purchase tires it is a horrible place to get winter tires installed.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Referrals”