Looking for Sump pump replacement

Business and professional recommendations.
Jlabute
Guru

Looking for Sump pump replacement

Post by Jlabute »

Hi y’all.

I have 3 sump pumps in the basement of my older home. They continually fail. They are a pain to keep running. I am thinking it would be a moderately better step up to replace them all with an unground pump of better quality to service two bathrooms and a kitchen. Either that or lower the city pipe below ground. All choices also require a redo of the basement plumbing.

A unground pump, or lower the city pipe... both are probably expensive but I can’t fathom how much they might be. Anyone here experienced on such things?

:130:
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Looking for Sump pump replacement

Post by LANDM »

Lowering the outside line may be impossible because it still has to go to the elevation of the city sewer line.

There has to be a reason why the pumps are failing. Are these water sumps pumps (groundwater) or waste pumps (including solids from the toilet)?
Anything like that, if properly designed, should not continually fail. Call a local plumber who is experienced in such matters and find out why they are failing.
You and 71 others Like this post
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

LANDM wrote:Lowering the outside line may be impossible because it still has to go to the elevation of the city sewer line.

There has to be a reason why the pumps are failing. Are these water sumps pumps (groundwater) or waste pumps (including solids from the toilet)?
Anything like that, if properly designed, should not continually fail. Call a local plumber who is experienced in such matters and find out why they are failing.

Thanks LANDM. The city was in our lane a few years back digging it up and lowering the sewer line. My neighbor had his indoor water line break which flooded his basement, after-which he went on a mission to have his sewer connection lowered. In his case, insurance paid for a lot of it.

I think the sewer pipe can now be lowered, although it means ripping a hole in the side of the house and tearing up the deck and some of the drive way, etc, and installing a new pipe to meet the sewer line. It is probably more pricey than inserting a good pump under ground, I think.

As to why the pumps fail is perhaps an assortment of reasons. Two of the pumps service bathrooms/toilet, and one is in the kitchen. They all pump waste up, runs along the basement ceiling and down where the sewer pipe enters the house.

Recently, one pump just started running non-stop. Probably the float is stuck or something. Gotta take it all apart to find out. It was broken once before because someone dropped a foreign object in to it ($1500 replacement a few years back because the pump could only be purchased with the toilet, so I was told). Kitchen pump is totally dead. I think the motor died after running too long. Maybe the same issue. It needs replacing. Second bathroom pump sometimes works, then it doesn't then it works..lol. I had a fellow look at it but wasn't able to fix it. So, as time goes on, it's just issue after issue for it. It would be nice to have a more reliable solution, without breaking the bank. The last off-the-cuff quote I had was around $15000 to dig a trench downstairs, put in a heavy-duty underground pump and lines running to the kitchen and two bathrooms. Have not asked for real quotes yet. In 10 years, I've replaced 3 pumps. The kitchen pump was the least expensive.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It could also mean that the pumps are just old and and worn out. Why are they failing? Is it due to the motors or the impellers?
Bring back the LIKE button.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

We're talking 'apples and oranges' here. You're having problems with sump pumps and thinking about running a new line out to the community sewer line. When you say sump pumps, are one or more of them sewage pumps?

Sump pumps normally deal with rising ground water under your basement floor, and this water cannot be pumped into the sewer. Has the city also installed a 'storm drain' that roofs, gutters, driveway drains, sumps, etc can be channeled to? If so, is it deep enough to have your home drain via gravity into it?

What happens during power outages, during heavy rain storms, when the pumps all quit working?

The fact that 3 sumps have been installed in your basement means that you have a lot of water issues. Life would be greatly simplified if you 'bit the bullet' and ran a line from your perimeter drain system and sumps, out to a city storm drain. You'd sleep better at night, knowing your basement isn't going to flood any more, and it would increase your property value.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have never heard of city water (under pressure) that needs to pumped into the house for supply use.

Sump pumps are used for lifting water to "above grade" for drainage away.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yeah, the 3 pumps I have are not for basement drainage, they are to lift waste water above grade since the city pipe comes in the house at about 1.5 feet above the basement floor. So toilets in the basement don't flush without a pump. These pumps have various issues (blown motors, get stuck ON, get stuck OFF) so I am looking to replace all 3 with 1 large in-ground unit... which I am assuming would be reliable?? That is my hope. I think it would cost twice as much to lower the city pipe going in to the house.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Jlabute wrote:Yeah, the 3 pumps I have are not for basement drainage, they are to lift waste water above grade since the city pipe comes in the house at about 1.5 feet above the basement floor. So toilets in the basement don't flush without a pump. These pumps have various issues (blown motors, get stuck ON, get stuck OFF) so I am looking to replace all 3 with 1 large in-ground unit... which I am assuming would be reliable?? That is my hope. I think it would cost twice as much to lower the city pipe going in to the house.

OK, it makes sense now. Bummer... :135:

You might get someone in to give you an estimate for installing a new -- deeper -- waste pipe out to the city sewer. You're already looking at a few bucks, replumbing (and possibly digging up your basement floor), so all the lower level plumbing flows to one location for the new pump. At the very least, you'd be saving the cost of the new pump which I suspect is going to be pricey. And that pump is likely going to require replacement every few years -- nature of the beast.

It's an ugly job, but the most peace of mind, best investment for your house, and permanent trouble free solution, would be gravity flow out to the sewer.

Best of luck with it... :up:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yup, I would be happiest with that solution too. A grinder sump pump is up around the $1500 mark or so I heard. Probably more of a summer job. I will have to check with my neighbor for more info. I gotta start saving my pennies :-)
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Jlabute wrote:Yup, I would be happiest with that solution too. A grinder sump pump is up around the $1500 mark or so I heard. Probably more of a summer job. I will have to check with my neighbor for more info. I gotta start saving my pennies :-)

Are you suggesting that you have been putting solids through a non-grinder sewage pump?

That would definitely be why you are going through pumps! :smt045
You and 71 others Like this post
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Two of the bathrooms have a sump-pump that comes with the toilet. So I would assume that what normally goes in the toilet can be handled by the pump. It's not as though people poop bricks or something, although it may feel like it at times :-) Of course, you can't put non-grindable objects in such toilets.

Anyways, I spoke with my neighbor yesterday, and he said he knows the contractor that did his junction box to house portion of lowering the outdoor section of pipe and that it only cost him $5000. So now I am thinking that instead of installing some sort of super-sump-pump to replace the three pumps, it may be just a little more costly to have it all gravity fed.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

That would be the best fix, IMHO. It will last as long as you live there or add resale value in the future. I would like to know how you make out with this endeavor, please keep me informed, even if it is via PM.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Well, I have not done this yet, but now I really want to. lol.
Would anyone have a referral for a company best suited to install an in-ground sump-pump? Thanks

Return to “Referrals”