Car Battery

Business and professional recommendations.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Car Battery

Post by alanjh595 »

GordonH wrote:I remember back in late 80s or early 90s mini van (can't remember if it was Ford or Chevy, v6), to do a tuneup had to take the top of the engine off just to get to rear plugs. Extremely poor design

Another is intank fuel pumps with no trunk excess... with exception of a number of European cars.

I remember the back plug on my Jimmy took 2 people to change with the front wheel cranked all the way to the left and had to be done from underneath.

Yes, the in-tank problem was on the Ford Exploder could only be accessed after taking the back seart out first.
Bring back the LIKE button.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

2manyfords wrote:
1791 wrote:Have you pulled out the floor mats. Must be a battery access point somewhere , otherwise how would a person boost that car

Some Cadillac models had the battery under the rear seat, with "jumper" terminals under the hood.

Some imports (can't remember which) also located them under the rear seat.

Could you imagine a failing battery venting into the passenger compartment? :200:

All batteries in the passenger compartment are vented to the outside.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

vegas1500 wrote:
All batteries in the passenger compartment are vented to the outside.

And when the acid eats through they will be sitting on the road. :biggrin:
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
Oldsmobileguy

Post by Oldsmobileguy »

Sorry to bump this thread, but be careful changing the battery on some modern vehicles. My daughter owns a VW Jetta that needed a new battery. She and her husband replaced it themselves, but the car radio has a special code that locks the radio if the battery is removed and replaced. The owners manual is supposed to have a PIN code to enter into the radio to regain function after battery has been replaced. No PIN code in the owners manual. Then, there is supposed to be another copy of the PIN code printed on top of the radio, which requires removing it with special tools. She ordered the tools, but the previous owner had broken some of the tabs off, and the radio won't come out. The "nice" VW dealership said they would gladly enter a new PIN code for a measly $200.

Sorry again for bumping, but don't want to see this happen to anyone else!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

There is a way around this problem,but it is too late for you.

When changing a battery, hook up a power source before disconnecting the battery. That way, power will not be interrupted after the battery has been disconnected and all settings will remain intact.

I am wondering what would happen if the car is left sitting parked for a long time and the battery goes completely dead. Say, if it is parked while you are away on a month long vacation.

I would be all over VW like white on rice for their predatory pricing policies.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

One other thought is take the car in for an after market radio replacement. It might cost more, but at least VW won't be getting any of your money.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

So I need a new battery... do I buy the $150 one at Crappy tire or buy the $300 battery at Lordco? Or what? It seems that the Canadian tire batteries are half he price as most batteries, but do they last half as long? Even if so, it seems like a good deal to get the cheap one.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote: Feb 22nd, 2023, 1:27 pm So I need a new battery... do I buy the $150 one at Crappy tire or buy the $300 battery at Lordco? Or what? It seems that the Canadian tire batteries are half he price as most batteries, but do they last half as long? Even if so, it seems like a good deal to get the cheap one.
I have had good luck with Costco batteries
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bsuds wrote: Feb 22nd, 2023, 2:10 pm
I have had good luck with Costco batteries
Thanks, though I need it today and I'm not driving to Costco
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

I’d go with Costco first then Magrath Auto Supply (Napa) on Roxby pretty well always beats Lordco pricing by a long shot. There’s very few battery manufacturers with all these different retailers slapping their name on them.
What brand did you go with?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

ALL car batteries have an expected life span of 5 years. If you get 7 years, you are lucky. That is why all warranties are maxed out at 5 years. More than 3 years, you get sold an "extended warranty" that is pro-rated and not worth the extra $$.

Calculate carefully, taking into consideration.....where and under what circumstance you, store and use that vehicle.
You can get 2 extra years out a battery if you use a trickle charger during the last few years but you are paying more on your household electric bill to extend it's life.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I haven't gotten a battery yet. Things got busy.

When I had a 1992 Subaru the original battery lasted until 2007.
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Glacier wrote: Feb 23rd, 2023, 3:38 pm I haven't gotten a battery yet. Things got busy.

When I had a 1992 Subaru the original battery lasted until 2007.
You got lucky and times have changed. It is not in the best interest of the battery companies to provide such great batteries.

" designed and built in obsolescence"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote: Feb 23rd, 2023, 3:00 pm ALL car batteries have an expected life span of 5 years. If you get 7 years, you are lucky. That is why all warranties are maxed out at 5 years. More than 3 years, you get sold an "extended warranty" that is pro-rated and not worth the extra $$.

Calculate carefully, taking into consideration.....where and under what circumstance you, store and use that vehicle.
You can get 2 extra years out a battery if you use a trickle charger during the last few years but you are paying more on your household electric bill to extend it's life.
There are 2 batteries in my truck and they are 8 years old. They are not holding a charge because it doesn't get driven lots in the Winter. I picked up a solar charger and that is keeping them topped up until I decide to replace them. It's working well so far.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Glac - you tend to get what you pay for - go with the better battery
I rebuke you in the name of Versace

Return to “Referrals”