Executor of an estate.

Business and professional recommendations.
alanjh595
Banned

Executor of an estate.

Post by alanjh595 »

Has anyone been the executor of an estate? Any recommendations?

I am making funeral arrangements this afternoon, I am hoping that the Funeral home can get me pointed in the right direction.

As you can see from my post time (2:54 AM), this is keeping me awake. I gave up trying to go back to sleep after 2 hours of trying.

How many death certificates should I order? How many certified copies?

What do I do next?
Bring back the LIKE button.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Executor of an estate.

Post by oneh2obabe »

Not sure how it works in BC but in Ontario the funeral home will supply you with as many copies of the death certificate as you need. Funeral home will notify the federal government of the death so any pensions, etc. will be stopped. Take a copy of the death certificate to all banks and, if applicable, notify any insurance companies, companies where they might have RRSP's, RRIF's, etc. and provide them with a copy when requested.

If you have to use an accountant to prepare the final return make sure you give them a copy as well. Cancel all credit cards.

Link showing what you need for filing the final return.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... eturn.html
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 7th, 2021, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Thank you.

I have also just signed up with EstateExec, that looks helpful too.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My condolences Alan
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I just went through this with my dad and OneH20 has it pretty right on. The funeral home looks after a surprising amount of the "paperwork" so let them. I think I have 6 copies of the DC. I created a binder to house every piece of paper that was in any way attached to him.

You will receive a one time death benefit of 2500.00 (taxable) and again, the Funeral Director will make the application.

Any pensions outside of Canada will have to be reported by you.

There will still be an income tax filing next year so don't lose sight of that.

Create a digital copy of the DC and keep it on your desktop. MAkes it easy to attach to emails when you are trying to shut down accounts etc.

If there was a CC that earned points, don't close that account until the points are awarded to you. If the account gets closed first, it's hard to get them to reimburse them to you.

There will be what seems to be a never ending stream of phone calls, emails and in person visits for a while but it eases off.

My condolences on your loss.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I am so sorry for you loss.

The funeral home will offer to do a lot for you, but you will pay for every single thing, so if money is an issue you might want to check out this guide to see what you can do yourself.

Executor Guide for British Columbia

https://wiki.heritagetrustcompany.ca/in ... h_Columbia

All the best to you at this difficult time.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Hopefully you won't have to deal with CIBC. They are not pleasant to deal with.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Didn't have any problems dealing with CIBC or any other banks or insurance companies. Then again, mom dealt with CIBC as her main bank for years - always the same representative - and they knew us.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I just got back from making the funeral arrangements, they were very helpful and assuring. I ordered 2 copies of the DC and 10 certified copies.

I am having issues with dealing with the PGT right now, and I hope to get a reply from a lawyer later today.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

THANK YOU ALL for your condolences, they are very much appreciated.

When I came home yesterday, there were cards stuffed in my front and back doors, and 3 of the neighbour ladies came by and offered their condolences.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

alanjh595 wrote: I am having issues with dealing with the PGT right now, and I hope to get a reply from a lawyer later today.
Not sure why you are thinking of using the PGT although maybe their fees are cheaper than a lawyer. ( I think the PGT is more expensive). My family used a lawyer and his fees were very reasonable and he did much of the leg work. He charged for hours worked whereas the PGT takes a cut of estate. The taxes were done by an accountant.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Sorry for your loss Alan.
Tough times I'm sure.

Bit better news, I have some fir for you.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

My condolences, Alan.

I've done five estates, 4, mine (father, mother, father in law, and mother in law) and helped a friend.

2 (my parents) decided to make their own wills, it was completely useless so they technically died "intestate" (not having made a will before one dies).

2 (my wife's parents) with legal wills.

I used a commercial self help "Self-Counsel Press" program. Just followed the instructions. (but I'm pretty handy)

https://www.self-counsel.com/bc-probate-kit-612.html

It would depend on the complexities of the estates, disposal of property, number of heirs.

It certainly taught me how not to make a will.

If you are using a law firm, I guess the most difficult part is paying.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

My will is done by a lawyer, so was mom's.

I am the executor and sole beneficiary named in the will and the house is owned jointly with me as the survivor.

My 1st big problem as the executor is getting the PGT to step out as the POA and surrender all the documentation and accounting for their expenditures on Mom's behalf. They are not willing to do that.

Here's a copy of the email *edited* for obvious reasons.
The PGT’s authority as COE remains in place for now. I will need to send out our Field Services team to do an inventory reconciliation at the house, you can expect someone to contact you in the near future. The care home has been notified not to release any belongings to anyone at this time. I will be transferring the file to our Estates Liaison team in the next week or so, they will follow-up with you in regards to next steps in dealing with the estate.

The caveat will not be removed at this time, nor will financial information be provided. You will need to follow-up with the Estates Liaison team on those matters and I will add this email to my transfer notes and request that someone contact you as soon as possible, but I can’t give you an exact timeline just yet . I would advise you to speak with your own legal counsel in regards to your duties as Executor and handling the Estate from here.

Best,

Imagine that, Mom dies and they want to inventory my home of 18 years.
What is the purpose? It is all willed to me anyway.
What are they going to do, say that 8 out of my 10 routers were hers?
How many 90 year old women do you know that have a table saw and a thickness planer?

From what I have been able to determine from research, a POA's authority ends with the end of the life of the person and then after that it is up to the executor of the estate to proceed from there.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Since you are the sole heir, the only thing I can see any inventory would establish is property that is solely your mom's that can be subject to tax before it is dispersed to you.

My mom had a representation agreement ("RA") set up so the PGT (Public Guardian and Trustee) was never involved with her.

So many have not heard of them, they aren't the same as a Power of Attorney ("PO") and really should be considered for those caring for parents of advancing age.

Looks like a lawyer is all that bad an idea. But they aren't cheap.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Referrals”