Chinese Food.

Business and professional recommendations.
W105
Guru

Re: Chinese Food.

Post by W105 »

my5cents wrote: May 17th, 2022, 9:34 am
alanjh595 wrote: May 17th, 2022, 5:08 am

Yeah, that is the problem that I have encountered. My favorite take-out place has changed owners and the cooks left with the old owner. The NEW food is crap.
In this case the owner IS the cook. I patronized the restaurant when it was in Peachland and now that it's at the old "Two Chef's" location.

I've eaten A LOT of Chinese food in Vancouver at the best (real) Chinese restaurants in China Town, and Dragon Lotus ranks very high with me.
^^ you are 100% correct the Dragon Lotus is excellent...the drive is actually short and it's beautiful too..
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

alanjh595 wrote: May 16th, 2022, 2:36 pm My favorite Chinese food place has changed hands and I am looking for a new one.

I have been researching for days now and reading lots of on=line reviews. I know that when my place closed down the cook went to Yum Yum Tree in the Capri mall.

I have found their menu, but the hours listed are not true. I will try again tomorrow, but in the mean time, any input from other picky eaters and their fav. Chinese food purveyors they can recommend?
I always go to Yum Yum Tree for Chinese takeout.
Really good.
I haven't found a place as good as the Green Door in Vancouver Chinatown.
It is now gone but the restaurant entrance had a green door, in a back alley, authentic Chinese cuisine, illegal gambling above the dining room.
It was awesome.
Good luck in your search.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

PoplarSoul wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:19 am I always go to Yum Yum Tree for Chinese takeout.
Really good.
I haven't found a place as good as the Green Door in Vancouver Chinatown.
It is now gone but the restaurant entrance had a green door, in a back alley, authentic Chinese cuisine, illegal gambling above the dining room.
It was awesome.
Good luck in your search.
Boy that goes back a way !

There were two... the "Green Door" and the "Orange Door", they were across the alley from each other, in the '70s. The lane between Pender and Hastings in about the 100 East. Everything was painted green at the Green Door and everything painted orange at the other. Obviously with the doors painted the corresponding color.

I remember going there one night and the Orange Door was gone. There were dumpsters full of orange painted wood, the entire restaurant was in the garbage.

They were authentic but not at all high end (the other end). From the counter you could watch the cooks prepare the food.

We used to call them "Cheap and Dirty's" "Hey do you want to go to Cheap and Dirtys for Chinese scoff ?"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

my5cents wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:31 am They were authentic but not at all high end (the other end). From the counter you could watch the cooks prepare the food.
Yes, not fancy at all.
The first time I went to the Green Door I thought "where are my friends taking me to".
What? Back alley?
But returned often after that. It was really good.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I just got home after going to the Yum Yum tree @ Capri mall.

I got 5 items in small amounts as taste testers and they were all good. Very helpful and friendly staff.
Next time I will order full size portions of my favorites.

I agree that Vancouver, in particular Richmond has the best Chinese food outside of China. In Richmond I highly reccomend "Danny's Place" in the Ironwood mall at #6 Rd & Steveston Hwy.
Bring back the LIKE button.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

PoplarSoul wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:46 am Yes, not fancy at all.
The first time I went to the Green Door I thought "where are my friends taking me to".
What? Back alley?
Yes, exactly my experience as well. "Where the heck are we going". I think whoever took me enjoyed not explaining everything and watching my reaction. Not sure which one I went to first. As I said not long after, there was no choice, the Orange Door was gone.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Yum Yum Tree for me, at least once a month takeout, reasonably priced, tasty and very friendly staff.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

my5cents wrote: May 17th, 2022, 11:34 am
PoplarSoul wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:46 am Yes, not fancy at all.
What? Back alley?
Yes, exactly my experience as well. "Where the heck are we going". I think whoever took me enjoyed not explaining everything and watching my reaction. Not sure which one I went to first. As I said not long after, there was no choice, the Orange Door was gone.
Was it the Green Door that didn't have a liquor licence?
They had small shelves/slots under the tables and in front of where one would sit, that's where you could hide a bottle of your favourite beverage.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Best Chinese food I ever had was back in 70s in Vernon, name of restaurant was Lotus Gardens.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
I_am_a_Liberal
Übergod

Post by I_am_a_Liberal »

88 grand hands down. And before that mama pandas.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Best place was Blossom Inn in Toronto. Some of the office would go every couple of weeks and my boss (he grew up in China) ordered for us - never knew what the hell he ordered until it appeared.

Best place here is MeiWei.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I_am_a_Liberal wrote: May 17th, 2022, 9:03 pm 88 grand hands down.
Went there once...enough said.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

alanjh595 wrote: May 16th, 2022, 2:36 pm My favourite Chinese food place has changed hands and I am looking for a new one.

I have been researching for days now and reading lots of on=line reviews. I know that when my place closed down the cook went to Yum Yum Tree in the Capri mall.

I have found their menu, but the hours listed are not true. I will try again tomorrow, but in the meantime, any input from other picky eaters and their fav. Chinese food purveyors, they can recommend?
Which place was that, which changed hands?

Friends highly recommend the Wok-Out in Glenmore. https://www.wokoutrestaurant.com/

And I like the Wok-Inn, in Rutland - I am told the same people own them. https://www.wokinnbc.website/
alanjh595 wrote: May 16th, 2022, 5:04 pm
Jlabute wrote: May 16th, 2022, 5:01 pm Maybe you would like Zabb, although it is Thai. Good food and relatively inexpensive.
I will look it up. Thanks. Never heard of it.
Zabb is really good, highly recommend it. http://www.zabb.ca/dinner-menu/
I haven't failed until I quit.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

Chinese food is like sex. It's all good, just some is better than others. Of course just MHO. :biggrin:
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote: May 19th, 2022, 10:26 am
alanjh595 wrote: May 16th, 2022, 2:36 pm My favourite Chinese food place has changed hands and I am looking for a new one.

I have found their menu, but the hours listed are not true. I will try again tomorrow, but in the meantime, any input from other picky eaters and their fav. Chinese food purveyors, they can recommend?
Which place was that, which changed hands?

Friends highly recommend the Wok-Out in Glenmore. https://www.wokoutrestaurant.com/

And I like the Wok-Inn, in Rutland - I am told the same people own them. https://www.wokinnbc.website/
alanjh595 wrote: May 16th, 2022, 5:04 pm

I will look it up. Thanks. Never heard of it.
Zabb is really good, highly recommend it. http://www.zabb.ca/dinner-menu/
Wok Out #2 in Glenmore has changed hands and both of the cooks are now at Yum Yum Tree. (They took the recipes with them.)
Unfortunately, YumYum doesn't offer delivery. I bought and picked up there on Tuesday morning and had to reheat it for supper. (I did sample it as soon as I got home though.)
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Referrals”