Ceiling Drywall Repair

Business and professional recommendations.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Ceiling Drywall Repair

Post by Bsuds »

I am in need of some drywall repair to the ceiling. 2 spots, one large maybe 6'x4' and 1 smaller one that's 1' sq.

Both are textured and would be nice if they did that too but not a deal killer if they don't.

Any referals for someone who would do a small job like that?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Ceiling Drywall Repair

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 28th, 2022, 5:00 pm I am in need of some drywall repair to the ceiling. 2 spots, one large maybe 6'x4' and 1 smaller one that's 1' sq.

Both are textured and would be nice if they did that too but not a deal killer if they don't.

I had a small repair job done like that, and it did not turn out well.

Best solution is to remove all of the texture, make the repair, and have someone come in and respray the entire area. Every person that sprays, has a different pattern.

They can never replicate the pattern that was done from someone else. Spraying is cheap, (I think it was $0.02 /sq/foot) depending upon how much time it takes to mask off and poly sheet the area. (It takes longer for the prep and clean-up than it does for the texture).

The other alternative is to scrape the area flat and smooth and repaint.
Bring back the LIKE button.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

alanjh595 wrote: Aug 28th, 2022, 5:17 pm
Bsuds wrote: Aug 28th, 2022, 5:00 pm I am in need of some drywall repair to the ceiling. 2 spots, one large maybe 6'x4' and 1 smaller one that's 1' sq.

I had a small repair job done like that, and it did not turn out well.

Best solution is to remove all of the texture, make the repair, and have someone come in and respray the entire area. Every person that sprays, has a different pattern.

They can never replicate the pattern that was done from someone else. Spraying is cheap, (I think it was $0.02 /sq/foot) depending upon how much time it takes to mask off and poly sheet the area. (It takes longer for the prep and clean-up than it does for the texture).

The other alternative is to scrape the area flat and smooth and repaint.
Hell just froze over ........

I concur .

DON'T let it go to your head
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

I'm of the opposite opinion, it is patchable. You can buy multiple different spray patterns. Cut out section, replace with drywall, fill/sand, spray with repair.

Don't like that pattern? Get a damp cloth, wipe it off, wait til dry and try again. You'll have a 9/10 look

If you want 100% perfection, do what Alan said above but be prepared to cry if anything wrecks it again!

... But sorry, no referrals, I fix my own :biggrin:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sparki55 wrote: Aug 29th, 2022, 5:55 pm ... But sorry, no referrals, I fix my own :biggrin:
I would too but am getting too old for that. I can't walk without tripping let alone get up on a ladder. :D
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

every ceiling I have seen patched, looks patched
Can you paint over the stain? spray painting would work best on those textured ceiling
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Spray painting is NOT the best way to go for textured ceilings.

Use KILZ and a long nap roller for stains. For colour, use an acrylic latex paint and a long nap roller.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

we NEED pictures Sudsy
Depends on the depth of the stipple doesn't it?
Probably easier to have the entire ceiling repainted to avoid the difference sheens, etc
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

100% in line with the "redo the entire ceiling" group. No question.

If you don't mind it looking like it was patched, do so. If this is a basement or even a downstairs bedroom, not that big a deal.

Main part of the home, there is no question, patch the drywall removed all the texturing and have it redone, there is no question.

The extra you will pay will soon be forgotten. Looking at the patch work for the rest of the time you are in the home, will be a reminder that you wished you did it the right way.

When a buddy built a new home (open concept) after the ceiling was sprayed there was a problem with a small area. When it was pointed out to the drywall contractor, without discussion he removed all the texture (a large area of the home) and redid it from scratch.

That's my 5¢.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

my5cents wrote: Aug 30th, 2022, 9:34 am 100% in line with the "redo the entire ceiling" group. No question.

If you don't mind it looking like it was patched, do so. If this is a basement or even a downstairs bedroom, not that big a deal.

Main part of the home, there is no question, patch the drywall removed all the texturing and have it redone, there is no question.

The extra you will pay will soon be forgotten. Looking at the patch work for the rest of the time you are in the home, will be a reminder that you wished you did it the right way.

When a buddy built a new home (open concept) after the ceiling was sprayed there was a problem with a small area. When it was pointed out to the drywall contractor, without discussion he removed all the texture (a large area of the home) and redid it from scratch.

That's my 5¢.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

patched a textured ceiling without any problems so long as the rest of the ceiling is the same colour of white, a good drywaller can do it without any problems. Also covered a textured ceiling with beadboard before and it turned out great. you can also use cedar or wood planks, know someone who used wood flooring on a ceiling and it also turned out great
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

normaM wrote: Aug 30th, 2022, 7:00 am every ceiling I have seen patched, looks patched
Can you paint over the stain? spray painting would work best on those textured ceiling
When I do my current ceiling, in about 3 months, I'll send you a photo if you're ok with that.

I'm honestly curious if I'm delusional, serious imposter syndrome. :130:
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2022, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

*removed*
I think Alan is talking about painting over a textured ceiling that has a stain. I don't think he talking about damage.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Sudsy......if you would like to come over, I will show you proof of what I am referring to.
Last edited by alanjh595 on Aug 30th, 2022, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Referrals”